2018 NFL Coaching Carousel Thread

Dr LBC

4 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Always liked del rio. Was he bad?

He seems like a nice, cool guy but I have doubts about his Xs and O's knowledge of the game. He was really fired because Todd Downing, our OC has to be one of the worst offensive coordinators in the league. The guy absolutely tanked our season.

7 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Undone by a pair of bad assistant/coordinator picks.

They let Musgrave walk in order to protect/facilitate the promotion of Carr's QB coach to keep from him getting pipped elsewhere... and that got bombed (and Carr regressed under him).  And Ken Norton Jr. never got much out of a defense that, at the very least, had some top-shelf pieces and a good amount of money pumped into it.

Unless whoever the next HC elects to not bring in a load of his own guys, some other staff is going to get a gem of an OL coach in Mike Tice though.

Don't get me wrong, this Raiders team significantly underachieved this season, but this move is as much about trying to drum up interest and pre-sell season tickets in Vegas by fixing a big name to the deal as it is about Del Rio failing the club.  Most coaches coming off a 12-4 season and the club's first playoff berth in a decade would have been given more than one under-par season - particularly when the coordinators could have easily (and righteously) been scapegoated - before being given the ax.

1 minute ago, Jaguarfan said:

the Del Rio firing is premature tbh, that team would've been in the AFCCG last season if Carr didn't go down

I don't know what the hell happened this year though, but I have little to no faith in the Raiders FO. 

Del Rio is fired cause of his own stupidity. We let go of our OC last year to keep his "prodigy" and he rode his offense to his own death.

Plus he let KNJ run his defense for several years despite the fact he was terrible.

Terrible coach who hitched his wagon to a terrible staff and did a crap job of adjusting despite how bad we were playing. He has no one to blame but himself and no Raider fan is sad to see him go

23 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Really bad with time management and using timouts/challenges. Defense was bad under him aside from the Dallas and Philly game, but it' moreso because of Pagano.

Bad with personnel whether it be his staff and didn't improve many young players here. 

22 minutes ago, Jaguarfan said:

the Del Rio firing is premature tbh, that team would've been in the AFCCG last season if Carr didn't go down

I don't know what the hell happened this year though, but I have little to no faith in the Raiders FO. 

Team could just easily have been 5-11 last season if not for the late comebacks. Took him forever to realize he made a mistake in Norton Jr.

2 minutes ago, RaiderX said:

Really bad with time management and using timouts/challenges. Defense was bad under him aside from the Dallas and Philly game, but it' moreso because of Pagano.

Bad with personnel whether it be his staff and didn't improve many young players here. 

I think its pretty telling when we can't name one of his strengths at all. He doesn't call plays, he's a defensive head coach with a historically bad defense this year. Made extremely bad choices with coordinators. Not really sure what he brings to the table.

I don't hate the guy by any means. He did exactly what I thought he would do, get the team out of the dumpster. Always knew once he did that he need to be replaced.

Archived