Browns OC search

hornbybrown

3 hours ago, Bucketheadsdad said:

I do not believe we're going to get a decision on an OC until the HC positions around the league are filled.  If the Browns are seriously looking to add a quality OC, that person is likely going to be pursuing a HC job elsewhere first.

I am more interested in how long it is going to take before Dorsey tells Jimmy Truckstop, "Look, sir.  It will be a minimum security facility for what....24 months, tops?  I bet they won't even have the NFL Network there, so you won't even be subjected to watching our team.  I don't care what evidence he has on you, but I MUST fire Chris Tabor."

The announcers yesterday made an interesting observation: namely, that the players who started on PIT's ST were the same players that started the season there, while we, of course, had a revolving door of ST players.

Not exonerating Tabor at all because I think he is awful, but if the announcers are correct, that would go a long way toward explaining our p-poor ST play and signal an alarming lack of ST skill/depth.

10 minutes ago, bruceb said:

The announcers yesterday made an interesting observation: namely, that the players who started on PIT's ST were the same players that started the season there, while we, of course, had a revolving door of ST players.

Not exonerating Tabor at all because I think he is awful, but if the announcers are correct, that would go a long way toward explaining our p-poor ST play and signal an alarming lack of ST skill/depth.

I’ve made point a time or two as well.

ST are an afterthought it seems. 

I don’t think we need a bunch of Ray Ventrone’s or anything, but one of those guys wouldn’t hurt.

Don't be surprised if Al Saunders is promoted to OC and we bring in a new WR coach.

No one quite remembers that Saunders was the architect behind those crazy Priest Holmes Chiefs offenses where he turned Trent Green into a leading QB.

His efforts won him Offensive Coach of the Year one year. Those KC teams, were old and undermanned but they were tough, innovative, and look very much like the Rams offense when it was explosively vertical.

If this is indeed the move, I don't want hear ageist "is he up with the times" type of nonsense.

44 minutes ago, bruceb said:

That is a reflection of just how young we are.  Most teams in the league have their young kids playing ST.  Most of ours are in our starting lineup.

21 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Don't be surprised if Al Saunders is promoted to OC and we bring in a new WR coach.

No one quite remembers that Saunders was the architect behind those crazy Priest Holmes Chiefs offenses where he turned Trent Green into a leading QB.

Who doesn’t remember that? It’s what he’s known for.

His efforts won him Offensive Coach of the Year one year. Those KC teams, were old and undermanned but they were tough, innovative, and look very much like the Rams offense when it was explosively vertical.

Agreed, he was legit as hell.

If this is indeed the move, I don't want hear ageist "is he up with the times" type of nonsense.

It’s not “ageist” to question if an older person has evolved with the times. I would have thought a personal as socially aware as yourself would have looked around and been able to find plenty of examples of this. That’s not to say that none do, but many do not.

Personally, I’m not concerned about Saunders and think he’d be a great guy to promote.

52 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

Who doesn’t remember that? It’s what he’s known for.

Agreed, he was legit as hell.

It’s not “ageist” to question if an older person has evolved with the times. I would have thought a personal as socially aware as yourself would have looked around and been able to find plenty of examples of this. That’s not to say that none do, but many do not.

Personally, I’m not concerned about Saunders and think he’d be a great guy to promote.

In fact, I've read on this here board takes on Saunders as an "out of touch", "old coach not up on the times" when it came to criticism of our offense/WRs.

Come on, LGB... you know the low hanging fruit takes if Saunders is announced will follow suit a la " I don't know... he seems kind of old, out of touch, and didn't do a good job with the WRs."?

If one is cutting edge in 2005, and been either a Senior Offensive Exec in two organizations after that (Raiders and Miami), or OC it stands to reason that the old fogy understands offensive football, the game as it is now, and doesn't just sit around dreaming about the good old days.

I could be wrong, but I'd bet that will be a lot of the react.

1 hour ago, Mind Character said:

In fact, I've read on this here board takes on Saunders as an "out of touch", "old coach not up on the times" when it came to criticism of our offense/WRs.

Come on, LGB... you know the low hanging fruit takes if Saunders is announced will follow suit a la " I don't know... he seems kind of old, out of touch, and didn't do a good job with the WRs."?

If one is cutting edge in 2005, and been either a Senior Offensive Exec in two organizations after that (Raiders and Miami), or OC it stands to reason that the old fogy understands offensive football, the game as it is now, and doesn't just sit around dreaming about the good old days.

I could be wrong, but I'd bet that will be a lot of the react.

What’s a better job being a senior offensive exec or an OC? I would say OC, more power  

Also Saunders supposedly had import lance with this current browns offense as he is an senior offensive assistant. Dude really had no pull or say when it came to working with Hue and this offense. Do you think that’s going to magically change when hue changes his title. 

If he still wanted to be an OC or was Still wanted to be an OC he prolly would of had the shot at it after his KC days. 

I rather get an OC Who has no connection with Huebris outside of being named his new OC. 

Also you can say how can you expect him to improve an entire offense, when he couldn’t improve his own WRs. That is a legit concern. You don’t see QB coaches or other positional coaches getting promotions when they positional group has been a huge disappointment 

16 minutes ago, buno67 said:

What’s a better job being a senior offensive exec or an OC? I would say OC, more power  

Also Saunders supposedly had import lance with this current browns offense as he is an senior offensive assistant. Dude really had no pull or say when it came to working with Hue and this offense. Do you think that’s going to magically change when hue changes his title. 

If he still wanted to be an OC or was Still wanted to be an OC he prolly would of had the shot at it after his KC days. 

I rather get an OC Who has no connection with Huebris outside of being named his new OC. 

Also you can say how can you expect him to improve an entire offense, when he couldn’t improve his own WRs. That is a legit concern. You don’t see QB coaches or other positional coaches getting promotions when they positional group has been a huge disappointment 

Yeah...it's definitely Al Saunders fault Ricardo Louis can't catch, Corey Coleman got injured, the fantastic trio of Ricardo Louis, Bryce Treggs, and Kenny Britt stunk up the joint... that's definitely it and you couldn't be more right that it's definitely a legit concern....

3 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Yeah...it's definitely Al Saunders fault Ricardo Louis can't catch, Corey Coleman got injured, the fantastic trio of Ricardo Louis, Bryce Treggs, and Kenny Britt stunk up the joint... that's definitely it and you couldn't be more right that it's definitely a legit concern....

sarcasm.gif

7 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

If Al Saunders was a good coach he’d have taught Britt and Louis how to grow an extra 6-7 fingers so they could catch a pass.

5 minutes ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

If Al Saunders was a good coach he’d have taught Britt and Louis how to grow an extra 6-7 fingers so they could catch a pass.

Facts..

Although I'm not going to lie, Saunders clearly and definitely got better as a coach when Josh Gordon came back for some reason, but then again regrettably his coaching regressed on the final play of the season when it mattered most his coaching couldn't get Coleman to catch that pass.

Archived