Texans GM Rick Smith taking "extended leave of absence"

ET80

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

Not to underplay the severity of the circumstances of his leave of absence...but is this mainly the reason that BOB is going to be back next year, or are they still expecting Smith back next year? 

All reports were that BOB was going to drop a "it's him or me" ultimatum during his exit interview tomorrow, but this precludes that standoff. BOB will actually be part of the search team for finding Smith's replacement.

I personally would like to see the Texans find an Executive Vice President of Football Operations (a Tom Coughlin of their own, to be specific) prior to finding a GM. But, pretty sure they're already putting together a list of guys for GM (Brian Gaine of Buffalo has been the popular name so far).

McNair is big on consulting firms heading up these searches (it's how he got O'Brien to begin with) so would not be surprised to see them go with this as well.

11 minutes ago, armsteeld said:

Smith has brought some great talent to the Texans organization.  Seems like he has done a wonderful job (looking from the outside).  I pray his wife beats cancer.

Fool's gold. He's got a great track record in the 1st round, but has pretty much missed on every pick from round 2-7 over an 11 year span. (Including passing on Derek Carr and Jimmy Garropolo for Xavier "Susan" Sua Filo, arguably the worst OL in the NFL). 

He's let guys like Brandon Brooks, AJ Bouye and Glover Quin walk without adequate replacements. His big FA prizes have included Ed Reed, Brock Osweiler and Jeff Allen. His signing of Osweiler was SO bad he had to give up a 2nd round pick to Cleveland to get away from that deal.

Smith should have been fired along with Gary Kubiak in 2013.

Right @Apollo Stallion?

From a real life standpoint, I wish him and his wife all the best, and a quick and speedy recovery.

From a pure football standpoint, I am glad he's gone. While he's definitely gotten some stars, he is absolutely terrible at getting any depth whatsoever, and on the off chance he does find something good, he seems loath to actually pay them, leaving us back to square one once they start producing. His free agent signings have been pretty god awful. If you need to hit on a 1st round pick, he seems competent enough at that - but at anything else his job entails, he's truly terrible. We needed to replace him.

Archived