GDT Wildcard Edition: #5 Titans (9-7) vs #4 Chiefs (10-6): Saturday 4:35PM ET

TitanSlim

16 minutes ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Could throw a curveball and have Ryan or Smith but shouldn’t just tell KC what we are doing let them have to adjust and figure it out as the week goes along

Lol KC will pay literally zero attention to that quote. They'll go by what we've done on film all year long.

Is anyone worried about a particular player this week? For example is anyone worried that Mariota has a Pittsburgh type game or that Adoree struggles on punts leading to fumbles or  Decker still has butter on his hands?

None of the examples I listed worry me but one player is has me worried is Succop. Since Cleveland he has missed kicks here and there and every point matters in the playoffs he really needs to hit the makable kicks and extra points. 2 of the last 3 Titans playoff games were lost by 3 points and in both of those games we missed kicks. Gary Anderson had one blocked in NE and Bironas missed one going into the half so Succop needs to be nails

47 minutes ago, TitanSS said:

Lol KC will pay literally zero attention to that quote. They'll go by what we've done on film all year long.

I doubt they ignore it but also I know KC is planning for Byard or anyone else on the team I’m just saying a lot of other coaches wouldn’t say things like that and it’s been something I havnt liked all year certain players say too much during interviews. I’ve heard Casey say many times “we do what we do look at the film what you see us do this year last year we are going to do this week” which I’m sure teams notice (ask a healthy Texans team it’s like shooting fish in a barrel) but just don’t go flaunting it in the media that’s all it’s nit picking on my part but it’s 1 thing I do like about a team like the Pats. I know it’s easy to say ofcourse we want to be like the Pats but I live in Boston so I see what they do on a regular basis. There are also things I hate about the Pats like how Bill just belittles the media. He really is a dink to them and atleast Mularkey has been very respectful to the media and this town 

You're right they won't ignore it, because no team in the history of football is listening to the opposing teams press conferences for an inside scoop on strategy. We've used Byard on TEs for almost a year and a half now and nothing has changed and nothing was given away. Brown may occasionally cover Kelce, but I'd have my money on him matching up with Hunt in man coverage.

Mularkey did what nearly every coach does, states the obvious while being vague. 

You don't like that Casey said something about us doing what we do for two years? Do you think if he said "This week is going to be like no other week" teams would ignore two years of game film for a comment that is nothing but for the media and fans and prep for something we've never done?

Teams put literally no, and I mean none at all, stock into press conferences unless they're revealing something relevant like an injury update. Even then they probably put very little stock in it in case the opposing team is lying or exaggerating. If Robiskie shows his first 10 scripted plays for the game at a press conference, then we have something to complain about. Him saying the obvious " Well we wanna establish the run early to set up the passing game" isn't an inside scoop the other team picks up on. It's just something for the media to put out there so fans don't get bored on Wednesdays.

I disagree about putting stock into press conferences again I live in NE Bill uses everything and anything he can for motivation or for a game plan that team more than anyone loves using bulletin board material. They used the Eagles planning a SB parade against them. In 07 torches the guy from Pittsburgh who ran his mouth all week. 

Teams do use that stuff look at deflate gate too this time it came back to bite the Pats. Brady said after the Ravens game about how they should learn the rules after the ineligible eligible stuff with the linemen and look who got popped a week later for deflate gate with the help of the Baltimore Ravens? 

Like I said it’s all nit picking on my part it really doesn’t play into the outcome of this game I’m just excited to talk playoff football and I’m going to talk any angle I can for as long as we go in the next few weeks. I just hope the teams ready to go Saturday I hope they are over the excitement of making the playoffs and don’t take this moment for granted. It’s the playoffs it’s time to show the world who we are and hopefully we can show them the good things and hopefully our superstars show up. It’s time for people to recognize Derrick Morgan Brian Orakpo Jurrell Casey Avery Williamson Wesley Woodyard and Kevin Byard. 

I really want to face New England next week I’m hoping we win Saturday I really want to see how we match up with the best team in our conference. But it’s time for the Titans to go out and make a name for themselves 

47 minutes ago, KingTitan said:

Something I've noticed and think Mariota doesn't get enough credit for. 

Wow, that's a significant margin we lead by.

I just wished we took more shots deep when we get those free plays like Aaron Rodgers does. I don't know if it's because Mariota chooses not too or because the offense isn't coached to do so.

19 minutes ago, TitanSlim said:

Wow, that's a significant margin we lead by.

I just wished we took more shots deep when we get those free plays like Aaron Rodgers does. I don't know if it's because Mariota chooses not too or because the offense isn't coached to do so.

I've seen when he has looked to do it. But nobody was either open or running to get open. 

One time I saw he did it and it was a stupid run play. 

I think it goes back to that report saying he can't audible out and or they don't practice it. 

12 hours ago, Titans fan 617 said:

Is anyone worried about a particular player this week? For example is anyone worried that Mariota has a Pittsburgh type game or that Adoree struggles on punts leading to fumbles or  Decker still has butter on his hands?

None of the examples I listed worry me but one player is has me worried is Succop. Since Cleveland he has missed kicks here and there and every point matters in the playoffs he really needs to hit the makable kicks and extra points. 2 of the last 3 Titans playoff games were lost by 3 points and in both of those games we missed kicks. Gary Anderson had one blocked in NE and Bironas missed one going into the half so Succop needs to be nails

All I can say is I hope Decker learns how to catch a football again. Those 3 drops could have been the reason we lost last weekend.

Edit: Also no one player really worries me. It will likely be the same weaknesses we've had to deal with all season (interior o-line, young WR/Henry making mistakes, etc.), so, for me anyways, I'm use to it and doesn't really make me "worried" per-say. We'll just have to find ways to overcome it.

Read and saw the All 22 Review from MCM.... it was good.  Showed the bad we did... like freaking to adjust to the S on the LOS, but also showed a lot of good.  Decker's drops really stand out, but he had a good game overall, outside those drops.  The defense obviously stood out.

My main concern for this game is the obvious... the playcalling and overall flow of the offense.  There is a perception that KC's D hasn't been very good... even I posted a stat from PFF that ranked them 31st vs the run and 22nd vs the pass... but I also see a couple of trends.  One is a bend/don't break style D (5th worst in total yards given up vs middle of the pack in points given up)...

But more drastic are their home/away splits.  On the road, the KC D gives up 389 yards and 25.5 points per game.  At home, those number drop to 341 yards and 16.9 ppg.  Those road stats are horrible... if you extrapolate them over a full season, they'd rank dead last in both (459 points and over 7000 yards).  Their home stats alone would rank them 3rd in points and middle of the pack in yards (270 and 5450, respectively).  (For the record, our splits aren't that dramatic... we allow 3 more ppg on the road, 20.6 to 23.9, but actually allow more yards at home 344 to 312)

Just a day ago, I thought we'd feast on the defense... but after looking at the splits, I'm not so sure they're the cupcake I thought they were. Our D is once again going to have to bring their A game.  

I mean this offense wasn’t just going to run over anybody regardless of what stats say. Defense could be the worst in history but this offense hasn’t shown the ability to do anything worth a damn in like 2 months. If our offense was worth a damn, we wouldn’t even be having this game and we’d likely be the 3 seed playing Buffalo this week. KC has a great offense and the defense isn’t very good but that means nothing with this current offense we have.

9 minutes ago, ttitansfan4life said:

I mean this offense wasn’t just going to run over anybody regardless of what stats say. Defense could be the worst in history but this offense hasn’t shown the ability to do anything worth a damn in like 2 months. If our offense was worth a damn, we wouldn’t even be having this game and we’d likely be the 3 seed playing Buffalo this week. KC has a great offense and the defense isn’t very good but that means nothing with this current offense we have.

There was a stretch late in the season where we averaged just over 23 ppg and just under 350 ypg in 3 out of 4 games (Hou, SF, LAR).  

I still think we're capable of matching that... but looking at just raw stats, I was starting to think those numbers would be a baseline.  Now having looked a little deeper at the stats and splits, those are a little less certain.  

Archived