Ted Thompson to transition into a new role within the organization. GB will begin a search for a new GM.

marky mark

20 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Those are all things you'd like to have, but not all necessary. Thompson was downright horrible with the fan base and media and we were a fine team with him, plus Russ Ball is here to manage the cap whether he gets the job or not.

Ron Wolf brought the importance of being a scout to GMing in today's NFL. He wanted football people making all football decisions. His scouting tree is as impressive as any Belicheck/Walsh coaching tree. The #1 trait hands down for a GM to me needs to be the ability to evaluate and acquire talent. All the other stuff you listed can be handled by numerous other people throughout the organization.

Indeed,

We need to keep football people as GM ! But do not combine Coach and GM never works, the coach needs someone to push him. Like the DC problem should of been pushed a while ago!

29 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I've never heard of Highsmith tbh.  Not saying that doesn't mean he's bad at his job, but isn't this the front office equivalent of losing Joe Whitt, a guy most like but few see as a critical piece to this organization?

When one or more of Wolf/Gute/Ball leave, that's a big loss.

Highsmith is very highly regarded, hence the promotion he received. These are the meat and potatoes guys that do all the dirty work as far as scouting goes. LIS we've lost a ton of talent there in the last decade or so. It wasn't all TT

23 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Those are all things you'd like to have, but not all necessary. Thompson was downright horrible with the fan base and media and we were a fine team with him, plus Russ Ball is here to manage the cap whether he gets the job or not.

Ron Wolf brought the importance of being a scout to GMing in today's NFL. He wanted football people making all football decisions. His scouting tree is as impressive as any Belicheck/Walsh coaching tree. The #1 trait hands down for a GM to me needs to be the ability to evaluate and acquire talent. All the other stuff you listed can be handled by numerous other people throughout the organization.

Sure, you can take the most marginal of the qualities I listed and say it's not important, but I hope you're not claiming that it isn't important for a GM to:

"have a great working memory and organizational system for all available college/pro players, balance and upkeep short/medium/long term team needs (injury replacements this year/upcoming team FAs and drafts/cornerstone contracts), be charismatic enough to negotiate FA/combine visits that make players want to play for us in the first place, manage the relationships between player needs/coach needs/scouting needs/organizational needs, ... and build and/or maintain an institutional structure that works well at identifying and employing excellent people that can work together in many different areas (front office/scouts, medical/training, coaches, players)."

Football people making decisions is the norm, so what edge does that give you? GM is a job that benefits good management, networking, and planning skills. Guys who are purely scouts and younger are going to tend to be weaker in those areas.

For the sake of argument say you have to build your GB FO just from what you have now, nobody gets to leave or join (this is unrealistic as likely someone not getting a job is leaving, but we aren't talking about these politics now but something more fundamental so let's set that aside). In this scenario you're going to have the same quality of minds manning your scouting department no matter what- you're just wondering if it's better to have your best/most experienced scout as the GM and also give him a huge boatload of other responsibilities on top of his job as scout. I'm saying I can see preferring to have that guy at the top be someone who defers to his scouts in matters of talent evaluation, but who is presumably better in the areas of administration, networking, and planning holistically on different (short/medium/long) timescales.

Another reason I think talent evaluator is most important - cause we're gonna be losing another one.

Part of what we've all been living thru is TTs ways - got it and true - but the GBPs have also lost a TON of talent evaluators to other teams in recent years. I dont know how many really good eyeballs they've got back there, but we need to keep player evaluation and acquistion at the top of the heap. Not accounting.

5 hours ago, Leader said:

Another reason I think talent evaluator is most important - cause we're gonna be losing another one.

Part of what we've all been living thru is TTs ways - got it and true - but the GBPs have also lost a TON of talent evaluators to other teams in recent years. I dont know how many really good eyeballs they've got back there, but we need to keep player evaluation and acquistion at the top of the heap. Not accounting.

Dude just burned us on his way out the door: http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0740045469786314410-4

"It feels good to go somewhere that you feel like you're trusted."

Sounds like it wasn't all hugs and high-fives in the Packers FO

Rob Demovsky  ESPN Staff Writer 

Packers senior personnel executive Alonzo Highsmith is joining the Browns as vice president of football operations under GM John Dorsey. Highsmith said he did not think he would get an interview for the open GM job in Green Bay. "We discussed so many ideas and all kinds of stuff," Highsmith said of his interview with the Browns on Tuesday. "I was exposed to so much stuff today. That's why I thought it was as great opportunity. It feels good to go somewhere that you feel like you're trusted."

33 minutes ago, HawaiiFan808 said:

Dude just burned us on his way out the door: http://www.espn.com/espn/now?nowId=21-0740045469786314410-4

"It feels good to go somewhere that you feel like you're trusted."

I found this note even more interesting. Highsmith seems to imply that he won't be the only one who leaves the FO

"It was a great 19 years," Highsmith said. "I hope I did my part for the Packers to make them better. Now I'm gone and you know what, I won't be the last guy."

In fact, it's possible Wolf or Gutekunst - or both - could leave Green Bay if they don't end up as Thompson's replacement. Packers president Mark Murphy said Tuesday that he understood the risk that he could lose some of the team's top scouts if they don't get the general manager job.

Archived