Ted Thompson to transition into a new role within the organization. GB will begin a search for a new GM.

marky mark

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:
9 minutes ago, ArthurPensky said:

Rapoport says Doug Whaley is expected to draw GM interest in GB.

Did some good things with the Bills apparently ... would satisfy the Rooney Rule requirements as well.

lol literally this

3 minutes ago, Green19 said:

^^^ This is the argument FOR Ball. Because article written on him point to his management of all these things as being why he is superior to Eliot and Brian.

They might be better talent guys but all the other things are learning curves for them.

The fear now is will all the good talent evaluators leave if Ball is hired? Because he will need the best talent guys to lean on... if that’s Eliot and Brian then that would hurt us.

I can see how some would take this as an argument for Ball.  If you discount all parts of the job except scouting, he would not be chosen.  If, however, the interview includes all parts of the GM job, he looks like a strong candidate.  I also think that if the new GM has strong contacts throughout the league he could fill his staff with people whose area of expertise would complement his own.

Just now, ArthurPensky said:

I'm not interested in Whaley one bit. 

It’s probably for the Rooney Rule. I mean not trying to be mean or say he isn’t qualified, but honestly it’s going to come down to:

• Russ ball

• Brian Gutekunst 

• Eliot Wolf

• Reggie McKenzie 

• Dark horse: John Schneider

Just now, Green19 said:

It’s probably for the Rooney Rule. I mean not trying to be mean or say he isn’t qualified, but honestly it’s going to come down to:

• Russ ball

• Brian Gutekunst 

• Eliot Wolf

• Reggie McKenzie 

• Dark horse: John Schneider

I realize that but don't even want to hear his name connected to GB to be honest. lol

Just now, beveaux1 said:

I can see how some would take this as an argument for Ball.  If you discount all parts of the job except scouting, he would not be chosen.  If, however, the interview includes all parts of the GM job, he looks like a strong candidate.  I also think that if the new GM has strong contacts throughout the league he could fill his staff with people whose area of expertise would complement his own.

The good thing about Ball is that unlike Wolf and Gute he had various jobs on other NFL teams throughout his career so it would not surprise me if he has managed to develop a good network of contacts which would help aid him to build the front office. I would find it hard to imagine Wolf or Gute having the same array of contacts considering that they've only ever been with the Packers for the majority of their front office careers.

1 minute ago, Chili said:

The good thing about Ball is that unlike Wolf and Gute he had various jobs on other NFL teams throughout his career so it would not surprise me if he has managed to develop a good network of contacts which would help aid him to build the front office. I would find it hard to imagine Wolf or Gute having the same array of contacts considering that they've only ever been with the Packers for the majority of their front office careers.

Wolf would have some of his father's contacts.  Schneider and McKenzie would have outside contacts as well.

Just now, beveaux1 said:

Wolf would have some of his father's contacts.  Schneider and McKenzie would have outside contacts as well.

Ron Wolf has been out of the game for a long time (17 years) how many of his contacts are young enough and/or relevant enough to be useful for Eliot Wolf?

TT spent time in Seattle, Ron Wolf spent time with Oakland and Tampa. John Schneider spent time in Kansas, Seattle and Washington. Those connections certainly helped them build their front offices and ultimately led to winning superbowls.

Having a network of contacts to help build an outstanding front office can be extremely advantagous.

23 minutes ago, Chili said:

I expect Elliot and Gute's longtime links to the Wolf/TT tree in the scouting/personnel community would be as useful to them as any connections Ball is likely to have.

1 hour ago, spilltray said:

The cap problems had nothing to do with Thompson hiring Ball to fix some sort of mess. The mess was already there and cleanup well under way.

My interpretation of what he wrote was that Ted inherited the mess, cut our losses and hired Ball to keep that from happening again.

Wonder if Ball got the job if Brandt would be open to coming back? Probably not but that would be awesome. Man what a group Wolf/Holmgren brought in.

The modern WC offense coaching tree and draft/develop front office started with the 1992 Packers. Kinda cool.

1 hour ago, LargeFarva said:

Then the Packers will have a great manager in place to hire their replacements. There are a lot of people capable of evaluating NFL talent.

Yeah, not so much. There are lots of people who can do PR for a team, and there are lots of people who can do organizational finance.

Finding someone who knows all the cap nuances and can find a way to keep players paid while staying under the cap is much rarer. People who understand the contractual law and financial management exist - most large companies have a team of them - but finding it in one person is more of a challenge.

The rarest people are those who can make good personnel decisions - who to keep, and who to cut, and can effectively evaluate college talent. If those jobs were easy, free agency wouldn’t exist because everybody would know which players areworth signing and which ones aren’t, and every team would be a lot more accurate on their draft picks. 

Archived