What QB Do We Want Going Into 2018?

joru1000

If It's One or the Other, Which QB Do You Want Going in to 2018?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Case or Teddy?

2 hours ago, Riddle said:

How is it not a lock? I would love to better understand all these questions that you and others think will drive his value down to below the 12th QB in the league. QB's get paid, and the rates go up year over year. Mike freaking Glennon got 3 years at $45 M. Mike. Freaking. Glennon. Case struck gold at the right time. He is just young enough at 30, as QB's are generally thought to have a later decline than most positions. I agree that I'M not in love with paying Case huge money, but given the demand for competent QB play - if the Vike's wont someone will.

Then we will pay a lot of $, likely to the detriment of other parts of the roster.

Glennon was on more of a standard timeline though.  A third round pick who had a relatively successful rookie season.  Keenum was player who everyone had though already had his chance and failed.  Keenum will get more than Glennon, but teams will also still have reservations. I think 20m on a longterm deal is pretty much the max he's going to get.

Maybe the Vikings will franchise him just to give themselves 1 year without further commitment, but it's still a big question mark to me.

If Keenum is resigned to a starters contract, I think that it's even money that Bridgewater stays.  It would be best, in this scenario, for Teddy to go someplace else and start for a year...do well...and cash in.  However, the other piece of the equation is that Teddy seems to have a great deal of affection for Minnesota, the Vikings, the training staff, the coaching staff, and especially Coach Zimmer.  He strikes me as the type to value loyalty.  So again, I think it's 50/50 that the Vikings get both Keenum and Bridgewater under contract for 2018...which I think would be great for the team!

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

If he values loyalty, wouldn't loyalty come both ways?
Why wouldn't we be loyal enough to give him a starting gig back?

Of course loyalty goes both ways...yet what I've noticed in professional team sports is that team/organization is often more selfish than the individual player.

24 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

If someone would offer Keenum a huge deal, say Denver, like a 5 year, 110M contract.

Would any of us actually want the Vikings to get into a bidding war with them? Or just collect your comp pick and move on with someone else?

If the Vikings let Keenum get to the market, I think you can kiss Case Keenum goodbye. The only way I would see him signing with us after that is if he doesn't get any serious interest in the opening couple days of free agency. Given how many teams need QBs, I don't see Keenum lasting long in free agency. He should be the second domino to fall after Kirk Cousins. If Cousins signs a deal with the Redskins before free agency Keenum may be the big QB prize. At the moment, tt seems safe to assume that Drew Brees is staying in New Orleans.

Whether this would be good or bad is hard to say. It depends who the Vikings get to play QB in '18 and how that QB performs. It would be a mighty big gamble on the Vikings part. It is a gamble that I would not be willing to take if I was running the show.

29 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

If the Vikings let Keenum get to the market, I think you can kiss Case Keenum goodbye. The only way I would see him signing with us after that is if he doesn't get any serious interest in the opening couple days of free agency. Given how many teams need QBs, I don't see Keenum lasting long in free agency. He should be the second domino to fall after Kirk Cousins. If Cousins signs a deal with the Redskins before free agency Keenum may be the big QB prize. At the moment, tt seems safe to assume that Drew Brees is staying in New Orleans.

I don't know about that.  You can make him a competitive offer, which he may not take until he sees what's out there, but that doesn't mean he won't come back.  It carries a risk, but so does paying him too much.

7 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

I doubt a new OC so have the clout to run with Teddy on the roster, since Teddy on the roster in any spot other then starter is a black mark (1st round QB bust) on Rick, and I think Rick will let's him go.

Organizational public relations is big here.

Spielman just won Executive of the Year, so he probably doesn't have too much to worry about when it comes to job security for a while.  One thing to remember is that Mike Zimmer really likes Teddy, and he will have a good deal of say in the matter too. 

46 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

Whether this would be good or bad is hard to say. It depends who the Vikings get to play QB in '18 and how that QB performs. It would be a mighty big gamble on the Vikings part. It is a gamble that I would not be willing to take if I was running the show.

If the Vikings let Case test the free agent market, I think Case is gone since he will be offered a big contract from someone else (Vikings worst scenario, and hard to image Rick allowing such a scenario to happen). Under this scenario, I think Vikings will try and offer a deal to Bradford to be the starting QB. I don't think Teddy is in the equation, and its better for Teddy to get a fresh start someone else.

16 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

Spielman just won Executive of the Year, so he probably doesn't have too much to worry about when it comes to job security for a while.  One thing to remember is that Mike Zimmer really likes Teddy, and he will have a good deal of say in the matter too. 

Job security is one thing... but knowing when to cut bait is another thing.

Mike Zimmer really likes Teddy, that's awesome, but still deactivated him (likely in discussion with Rick, because QB changes are always organizational decisions)

1 minute ago, CriminalMind said:

If the Vikings let Case test the free agent market, I think Case is gone since he will be offered a big contract from someone else (Vikings worst scenario, and hard to image Rick allowing such a scenario to happen). Under this scenario, I think Vikings will try and offer a deal to Bradford to be the starting QB. I don't think Teddy is in the equation, and its better for Teddy to get a fresh start someone else.

I am not as convinced as you that it wouldn't be Teddy that they would turn too after losing Case. Bradford's knee scares me. He isn't the guy that I would look to next if I was running the show. I do agree that a Vikings decision to let Keenum hit free agency is essentially a decision to let Case leave the team. I completely agree that he'll be offered a big contract somewhere else.

In fact, if the team can't work out a deal with Keenum before free agency it seems a lot more likely that they'll work out a deal with either Bradford or Bridgewater before free agency than go into free agency with none of them signed. That is just another reason that Case will be gone if he gets to free agency. I just can't see the Vikings getting to that point without one of the three signed.

1 minute ago, Cearbhall said:

In fact, if the team can't work out a deal with Keenum before free agency it seems a lot more likely that they'll work out a deal with either Bradford or Bridgewater before free agency than go into free agency with none of them signed. That is just another reason that Case will be gone if he gets to free agency. I just can't see the Vikings getting to that point without one of the three signed.

If the team cant work out a deal with Keenum before free agency, he will get tagged.

Archived