What QB Do We Want Going Into 2018?

joru1000

If It's One or the Other, Which QB Do You Want Going in to 2018?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Case or Teddy?

Just now, perrynoid said:

True, but it is the combination of the factors I've mentioned that would temper the demand for Keenum.  Don't get me wrong, I love the guy and think there will be demand for him this upcoming off-season, but I feel the demand is not what most on these boards think it will be, especially if he is viewed as a "product of the system" and, as expected, Shurmer leaves for a HC gig.  There would be more demand for him if he had more than this season on his resume, and he were younger.

Let me put it as plainly as I can.  There will be a market.  If Mike Glennon can get 3 years, $45M from Chicago for putting up mediocre numbers in Tampa Bay Case Keenum will have no issues getting paid, even if teams are afraid of him being a "product of the system".  The fact is the Vikings are winning AND he's playing well, which means he's going to get paid. If the Vikings won't do it, someone else certainly will.

But let's look at that alternative, let's say the Vikings don't want to pay Keenum franchise QB money.  Then what?  They're rolling into 2018 with a hobbled Sam Bradford, and Teddy Bridgwater whose a near complete unknown all over again.  The Vikings have to re-sign Keenum.

4 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I still believe the only way Case won't be a Viking is if someone from outside the organization is brought in as an OC. Could want to go a different direction.

Likely, I could see Rick while looking for an OC be saying Case is our guy.

Or promote from within to OC, and roll with Case on the tag

2 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Or promote from within to OC, and roll with Case on the tag

I can see that, no doubt. And actually support bringing up Stefanski with a veteran QB coach behind him.

Just saying it is really the only way I could imagine Case won't be our starting QB next season.

1 hour ago, CriminalMind said:

Glad to see people coming aboard the "I'm fine with the Vikings tagging Case" train.

It's still the most likely option.

It's a possibility, but I don't think I'd say it's at all "likely."  This team has zero history of using the tag.  They've only used it twice in it's entire history (Kleinsasser in '03 and Greenway in '11).  I think the far more likely possibility is that they sign a 3 yr deal with an easy out for the Vikings in 2019 if he falls back to earth.  

7 minutes ago, disaacs said:

It's a possibility, but I don't think I'd say it's at all "likely."  This team has zero history of using the tag.  They've only used it twice in it's entire history (Kleinsasser in '03 and Greenway in '11).  I think the far more likely possibility is that they sign a 3 yr deal with an easy out for the Vikings in 2019 if he falls back to earth.  

They've also not had this situation arise in awhile, a free agent QB that was worth resigning. When was the last, Culpepper maybe? Of course he never got to test free agency. 

15 minutes ago, disaacs said:

I mean, I'd suspect that's the case with most franchises.  I mean, how many teams use the franchise tag consistently?

7 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

They've also not had this situation arise in awhile, a free agent QB that was worth resigning. When was the last, Culpepper maybe? Of course he never got to test free agency. 

That is fair, but I'm not sure, in the end, that that'll make a difference.  It's just not something they often do regardless.  

3 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, I'd suspect that's the case with most franchises.  I mean, how many teams use the franchise tag consistently?

I only have found the data through 2015, but as of then the Colts had used it 11 times and the Seahawks 10 times, while the Patriots, Cardinals and Chiefs had used it 9 times (and I know off-hand that the Cardinals used it this last year on Chandler Jones, so they are at least at 10).  So, there are several teams that use it far more consistently.  

2 minutes ago, disaacs said:

I only have found the data through 2015, but as of then the Colts had used it 11 times and the Seahawks 10 times, while the Patriots, Cardinals and Chiefs had used it 9 times (and I know off-hand that the Cardinals used it this last year on Chandler Jones, so they are at least at 10).  So, there are several teams that use it far more consistently.  

I'd suspect there are some teams that use it more frequently, but that's probably a direct result of teams who are able to lock up their players before they hit FA versus teams who can't.  I mean, the Packers have used the franchise tag three times since 2007 but haven't used it 2010.  I don't think that would have any bearing on the Packers being willing to use the franchise tag if they felt there was a FA they wanted to retain.  I mean, there's little doubt in my mind that the Packers would have franchise tagged Nick Perry had he not signed a long term deal.

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

I mean, there's little doubt in my mind that the Packers would have franchise tagged Nick Perry had he not signed a long term deal.

I agree...and I think that's the far more likely scenario that will happen with Keenum.  I think there is a chance that they will franchise him, but I think it's far more likely that they come to terms on a 3 yr or so deal before that would happen.

3 hours ago, disaacs said:

I'm working under the assumption that Case agent is knowledgable & won't let his client sign a deal that could turn into "an easy out after year one" unless the first year is for more then the tag amount.

3 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

We have never used the Tag since Rick Spielman has been here or since Rob Brzezinski has became in charge of the salaries.

That is partly because we have generally extended valuable (potential tag worthy) players before they were free agents.

Again something that is not the situation here, so not directly comparable

6 hours ago, disaacs said:

Why would Case be interested in that deal? If he hits the open market, dude is getting paid! 

Archived