What QB Do We Want Going Into 2018?

joru1000

If It's One or the Other, Which QB Do You Want Going in to 2018?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Case or Teddy?

34 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

Disagree. I think it would pretty reasonable for Bridgewater to feel that the Vikings didn’t have enough faith in him to even be the backup and that maybe he would be better off in a different situation.

Were that the case, in the team's defense, why would they be comfortable?

He's taken a couple snaps since returning from a long-term injury that almost cost him his leg, let alone the remainder of his career. I think what we've seen him do this season (in rehabilitation, being around the team, taking snaps, etc.) is all house money intended to be carried over into the 2018 season where he's then re-introduced into normal weekly football activities with genuine expectation.

6 minutes ago, Purple-Pride07 said:

Were that the case, in the team's defense, why would they be comfortable?

He's taken a couple snaps since returning from a long-term injury that almost cost him his leg, let alone the remainder of his career. I think what we've seen him do this season (in rehabilitation, being around the team, taking snaps, etc.) is all house money intended to be carried over into the 2018 season where he's then re-introduced into normal weekly football activities with genuine expectation.

I'm not saying the Vikings should be comfortable, all I'm saying is it could affect his decision.

6 minutes ago, Worm Guts said:

I'm not saying the Vikings should be comfortable, all I'm saying is it could affect his decision.

Maybe. But ultimately, the team has proven to have sufficiently grown past Teddy in his absence (unfair as it may be), so if he were to return and provide anything positive for the team in the future it'd kind of be a bonus at this point. 

FWIW, I still think we should go the New England route and start valuing QBs with semi-premium (day two) picks. If nothing else, they're often self-serving as trade assets. 

12 minutes ago, CriminalMind said:

Teddy is done in purple.

Some of yall don't see it yet, but its been evident for a while.

Case at minimum is getting tagged by Minny.

This is Case's team. It's no longer Teddy's. Id guess the lockerroom is completely behind Keenum. I think it's clearly evident given the playoff win, even more so If the Vikes go to the super bowl.

i wouldn't say Teddy is done. If he wants to stick around as a backup and get paid accordingly, I think there can still be a spot for him. I don't think there will be a QB competition if Keenum resigns with the  Vikes, which probably forces Teddy to go elsewhere. it will be his job, undisputed and I think the lockerroom would have no issue with that, even if Teddy wants to be the backup.

I have been withholding my vote since this thread opened waiting to see what happens in the playoffs. I have seen enough now. My vote for case is now in the poll. Personally, I see the odds of Teddy being signed as the starter for next year as really, really slim. Bridgewater is great. I'll be rooting hard for him wherever he is playing.

1 hour ago, vikingsrule said:

This is Case's team. It's no longer Teddy's. Id guess the lockerroom is completely behind Keenum. I think it's clearly evident given the playoff win, even more so If the Vikes go to the super bowl.

i wouldn't say Teddy is done. If he wants to stick around as a backup and get paid accordingly, I think there can still be a spot for him. I don't think there will be a QB competition if Keenum resigns with the  Vikes, which probably forces Teddy to go elsewhere. it will be his job, undisputed and I think the lockerroom would have no issue with that, even if Teddy wants to be the backup.

Essentially I agree. I think the question for 2018 is whether the team and Case can find a $ number that's mutually palatable. Given that Case is 29 and his overall NFL body of work is questionable; the fact that even at times this season, and more often in the last few weeks, Case has not passed the eye test and has been bailed out by WR's; and the fact that the Vike's have options that could be 'nearly as good' but cheaper, I think there are still ways Teddy can be our guy, but with every win those odds become more slim.

If we win the Super Bowl, I believe Case gets the tag or a premium deal, top 5 QB money - that's what Super Bowl winners in the prime of their careers get. Outside of that, it depends how we exit, and it depends on the relative costs of Case, Teddy, or Sam. There is a world where Teddy and Sam are both back on short term deals in which they do get the chance to battle it out in camp; I think we are one of the few teams that would afford either the opportunity to start.

One thing to consider is the philosophy and style of football that Zimmer wants with this team. Since he’s gotten here, Zimmer has pretty much preached a stifling defense, and an efficient, clock controlling offense. For him, it’s about the slow grind. 

Is that Case? Keenum is a gunslinger at heart. Is the head coach good with that?

2 hours ago, vikingsrule said:

I think if Teddy is offered more or equal salary from another team, he would choose to leave. (I am still not convinced Vikings offer Teddy any contract).

When has a highly drafted starter, stayed on his original team when the original team has moved on with another QB (at the consensus QB starting money)?

It doesn't happen in today's NFL.

Can we pick Option C?  I would still rather see the team go after Kirk Cousins.  The team needs stability at quarterback.  Case is a fun story but this has Brian Hoyer written all over it.  It is easy to be emotional after yesterdays game but I trust Zimmer to make the right call.

Archived