What QB Do We Want Going Into 2018?

joru1000

If It's One or the Other, Which QB Do You Want Going in to 2018?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Case or Teddy?

Just now, Riddle said:

I saw that.

Just doesn't seem what we tend to do. In the history of the tag we have only tagged 2 players, Chad Greenway & Jimmy Kliensasser.

Two players with low money tags.

I just don't see us doing it. I see no reason or advancements from franchising someone.

16 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

I saw that.

Just doesn't seem what we tend to do. In the history of the tag we have only tagged 2 players, Chad Greenway & Jimmy Kliensasser.

I just don't see us doing it. I see no reason or advancements from franchising someone.

I think its far more likely that we work out a long term deal with our preferred guy, whether than be Teddy or Case. In the event that our guy is Teddy though; I can imagine us using the tag to hold Case hostage and try to get a pick out of Arizona. 

52 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

really won't be holding him hostage tho. for him to actually be traded he would have to sign the tender.

how often has it ever happened? Matt Cassel and Jared Allen?

Matt Cassel was also 25 when that happened.

That's true, although so long as he and his agent can find a way to get assurance that he'll get a deal that pays him more than the value of the tag in year one, he would have an incentive to sign the tender. I'm just making the argument that starting QB's don't come available all that often, especially when they are arguably in their prime. I acknowledge that Case has question marks stemming from his inability to consistently perform at this level earlier in his career, and it hurts him that this is an unusual off season in which there are several potential free agent QBs and it is also a solid draft class, but I think we might be able to snag a pick if a team like Arizona gets sold on the idea of pairing Case and Shurmur.

On 1/7/2018 at 11:44 AM, Heimdallr said:

$20M per year for Teddy? Zero chance that happens. He has never shown to be more than mediocre. 

Paying on "potential" is what gets GMs fired.

Then why did Spiels give Everson $9M a year without having ever been a starter?

Obviously if the Vikings can sign their choice of QB to a deal before the tag deadline that would be best. If they don't, I wouldn't be surprised at all to see them use the tag.

Knowing the likelihood of being tagged, I would be very surprised to see Keenum agree to a contract before the tag deadline that doesn't at least guarantee him as much as the tag would guarantee him. If the team doesn't think he is worth the amount designated by the tag they can not tag him and let him get to free agency. That would be potentially very dangerous and may result in being forced to go into next year with no proven QB. That would be terrible given where the rest of the team is at.

Giving Keenum the tag seems for more likely that letting him get to free agency in hopes of getting him signed to something smaller.

6 minutes ago, disaacs said:

The top 25 Free Agents in 2018...Vikings QBs are ranked #7, #14, and #20...but, which one in which spot might surprise you...

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap3000000905368/article/top-25-free-agents-of-2018-quarterbacks-top-the-board-for-now

It (#7 and #14) is a mild surprise to me. Will be interesting in the offseason to see how the Vikings and the market value the three of them. My thought for some time is that Teddy would get Glennon+ bank with his contract in free agency, Case is lined up for more than that, and Sam is highly variable depending on how well he is able to convince other teams his knee will hold up.

11 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

I saw that.

Has there been anyone else worth taging lately? 

On 1/1/2018 at 7:01 PM, joru1000 said:

There are two threads in the Vikings Forum: One for Case and one for Teddy, yet I still can't accurately gauge what the majority of you wants our QB situation to be like.

If it comes down to one or the other, who do you want?

I want Teddy to be our quarterback.  He is younger, can probably be signed for less at this point, and I also believe he can be a better quarterback.  Having said that, Case has played very well this season, and he has also shown himself to be a good guy too, so for those reasons, I've started to feel alright if he ends up being the guy next year.  If that happens, I just hope Teddy ends up somewhere decent.

I can't say who I want to be our QB next year until after I see how the playoffs go. Honestly, that's going to be deciding factor. If Case wins us a SB, he stays, and he probably stays even if we make it there. If we lose 1st round, he's probably gone. An NFCCG loss is a tossup. It also depends how his numbers, and just overall play looks in the playoffs too.

18 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

I saw that.

Well many of the situations are not comparable. We have been fortunate to extended many players before their free agency year. Didn't happen this year so pretty has more leverage.

Archived