What QB Do We Want Going Into 2018?

joru1000

If It's One or the Other, Which QB Do You Want Going in to 2018?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Case or Teddy?

I think the potential Case tag situation has already been decided. 1 playoff game likely doesn't change that on the balance of probability.

Since late October I thought Case could be tagged (if Pat stays). Minny is behind the 8 ball, and you don't let a good QB go that's proven he is winning with your roster. To much risk not to protect the QB as your property.

Case doesn't really have much insensitive to sign for less the the tag (until the tag period closes). He is a free agent at the time of signing, which is the biggest factor compared to Linval, Rhodes, Harrison (& likely Barr, Kendricks, diggs, Hunter etc in the future) who were\could be extended while under contract. {Risk transferred to Vikings, whereas Case "took the risk" this year and now should rep the reward of a high valued contract

18 hours ago, disaacs said:

Then why did Spiels give Everson $9M a year without having ever been a starter?

You are focusing on the term 'starter', which isn't always decisive.  At some point, a rookie will take over as a starter when a vet's performance wanes. 

Griffen performed well in his limited number of snaps in relief of / rotation with Ray Ray and BRob.  GMs sign such young players to a big contract when they perform better than, or equivalent to, a vet whose (sizeable) contract is expiring and the vet hasn't proven much in his recent performances.  The reason a GM doesn't go outside the organization to fill the role with a proven vet is the sunken costs associated with developing young players; i.e. they look for a return on the investment, and realize they must pay fair market value or lose the player to another team. The $9M that The Pickumulator paid was a calculated risk. 

In the situation soon facing Rick Pickumulator Spielman, two Vikings QBs have played about a full season each over the last two seasons, and both performed very well.  One Vikings QB performed moderately well over two seasons ago and hasn't played since then after a serious leg injury.  All 3 QBs have demonstrated various degrees of 'potential' to play well in the future.  The 'potential' factor exists for all 3, but the most recent performances count more because of the changing situation over time; e.g. new OC , nearly completely new OL. 

19 hours ago, gopherwrestler said:

I saw that.

Just doesn't seem what we tend to do. In the history of the tag we have only tagged 2 players, Chad Greenway & Jimmy Kliensasser.

Two players with low money tags.

I just don't see us doing it. I see no reason or advancements from franchising someone.

Franchise tags annoy agents and players who are limited by it in their attempt to seek the player's fair market value.  

Sensible GMs will pay fair market value to their players whose contracts are about to expire / have expired.

Note that I used the adjective 'fair' preceding 'market value'.  A GM may use a franchise tag if the negotiations of fair market value is far apart and one party cannot come to their senses.

I have no issue tagging Keenum and basically forcing a Kirk Cousins situation until a long term alternative is found. We've got the cap space and if we manage the Barr, Kendricks, Hunter and Diggs contracts well over the next two years in addition to a starting QB playing on a rookie deal in 2-3 years, seems feasible.

The days of spending top dollar on outside FAs has to be over, and I'm fine with that. 

1 minute ago, gopherwrestler said:

If Teddy doesn't dress.... are we seeing the end of Teddy too?

Or is this just a play?

I think we've seen the end of Teddy unless he's willing to take a one year deal around $4m to be a backup. Otherwise, I think it's pretty clear that Keenum is the guy going forward. I wouldn't be surprised if Bradford is viewed more favorable than Teddy as well.

13 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

If Teddy doesn't dress.... are we seeing the end of Teddy too?

Or is this just a play?

Perhaps this is just messing with the Saints?  Since Bradford lit them up earlier this season?  Also, dressing Bradford as opposed to Teddy might force them to prepare differently, since Case and Teddy are both relatively mobile QB's (at least compared to Bradford lol).

14 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Doesn't seem strange to me. Bradford is the far better QB. If he is available, you want him dressed.

I don't know about that. I am not at all convinced that Bradford is even a little bit better let alone far better than Bridgewater.

I think the team likes Mack Brown if McKinnon would go down. Especially in a game like this where the "skat" backs are a big deal against their linebackers.

Also with the Bridgewater vs. Bradford being active thing, could it just be part of Pat Shurmur knowing play calling for Bradford and knows what works well in games and what doesn't work vs. not having ever called plays for Bridgewater?

We still are yet to know what Bridgewater is capable after injury, and Bradfords injury probably doesn't really effect much play calling, it's not like we are asking him to scramble much.

2 minutes ago, Cearbhall said:

I don't know about that. I am not at all convinced that Bradford is even a little bit better let alone far better than Bridgewater.

There really isn't much to support that Teddy is better or could even play at 2016 Bradford level. He hasn't played in a couple of years. Bradford at least has one brilliant game to show for this season. 

2 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

There really isn't much to support that Teddy is better or could even play at 2016 Bradford level. He hasn't played in a couple of years. Bradford at least has one brilliant game to show for this season. 

To be fair, I don't know that Bridgewater is better than Bradford either. I trust the coaches to pick the right one. I question @Heimdallr's assertion that Bradford is better is all. That is not known.

Archived