What QB Do We Want Going Into 2018?

joru1000

If It's One or the Other, Which QB Do You Want Going in to 2018?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Case or Teddy?

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

Would you guys be upset if we gave Teddy a 3 year deal and $20M/yr and Case went out and got the same contract elsewhere?

$20M per year for Teddy? Zero chance that happens. He has never shown to be more than mediocre. 

Paying on "potential" is what gets GMs fired.

4 hours ago, Riddle said:

With rumors of Shurmur potentially wanting to keep Case and Case feeling reciprocally, how much leverage do you think we would have to sign Teddy, franchise Case, and then flip him to Shurmur. I'd like to see us get a first rounder for him; realistic scenario? I'm not sure if we have the cap room to pull it off.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/21991953/case-keenum-join-pat-shurmur-minnesota-vikings-offensive-coordinator-hired-qb-needy-team

Not a realistic scenario IMO

Just now, Riddle said:

Jimmy G went for a 2nd. McCarron nearly fetched a 2nd and 3rd for the Bengals too. Case is worth more than both, arguably. 

Almost 30-year old Case Keenum is not worth more on the trade market than a young 26-year old Jimmy Garoppolo.

15 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Almost 30-year old Case Keenum is not worth more on the trade market than a young 26-year old Jimmy Garoppolo.

Almost 30-year old Sam Bradford was; and while he was coming off a solid year for the Eagles, it wasn't as good as Case has played this year. Franchise QB's generally cost first round picks, and if Shurmur was taking him to a place like Arizona to be the finishing piece to an otherwise solid roster, he is essentially a poor mans franchise QB at minimum...Going back a ways, Cutler and Drew Bledsoe both went for first round picks when they were at or near 30 as well. 

Edit: Carson Palmer too.

23 minutes ago, Riddle said:

Almost 30-year old Sam Bradford was; and while he was coming off a solid year for the Eagles, it wasn't as good as Case has played this year. Franchise QB's generally cost first round picks, and if Shurmur was taking him to a place like Arizona to be the finishing piece to an otherwise solid roster, he is essentially a poor mans franchise QB at minimum...Going back a ways, Cutler and Drew Bledsoe both went for first round picks when they were at or near 30 as well. 

Your points are well taken, but Arizona is drafting 15th overall this year, and I think they would be hesitant to give up that high a pick for Case.  Perhaps they'd feel more comfortable giving up a 2nd and a 4th?

22 minutes ago, Riddle said:

The Bradford situation was heightened because it was a week before the regular season for a team with Super Bowl aspirations. The Palmer situation heightened because it was midseason, and Palmer had had four seasons on par or better than Keenum's one season of production.

58 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

Yes, Keenum will get much more than Teddy.

I understand that I he will.

What I asked however, is whether he should get a 20+ contract.  Based on your logic regarding Teddy getting paid that much would be relying on potential, thus meaning he shouldn't get paid that much (I'm agreeing btw).

Well what would Keenum be getting paid on? One outlier year as a starter where it's debatable how much credit he deserves for his otherwise statistically impressive season (some numbers disagree btw) doesn't seem like a great resume bullet point. At least not a 20 million dollar one.

We can debate forever about which QB is better and who played better considering their surrounding talent at the time, but at the end of the day, Teddy hasn't played in two years, and Case had a highly productive season this year.

Giving Teddy a big contract would be entirely on the basis of hoping he somehow improved from his 2015 level of play despite not playing any football in those two years.

Giving Case a big contract would be on the basis that you think he can maintain the level of play he is currently at, and his current level of play is ~$20M/y.

Archived