What QB Do We Want Going Into 2018?

joru1000

If It's One or the Other, Which QB Do You Want Going in to 2018?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Case or Teddy?

Just now, CriminalMind said:

If the team cant work out a deal with Keenum before free agency, he will get tagged.

I tend to agree. Was just thinking of the "If Keenum gets to FA" scenario. I don't see it happening. If it does, like I said I think it is because the team signed one of the others which further solidifies Keenum being gone if he gets to free agency.

But yeah, I don't think the team will let Keenum get to free agency. They'll either get him to since a contact before the tag deadline or tag him. Keenum won't sign a long term contract that doesn't start with at least the first year and the franchise amount being guaranteed so whether the team signs him big or franchises him depends on the team's confidence in him being able to keep up his level of play.

3 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

This. The only way Case leaves the team is if Rick decides to let him leave.

So basically, we are saying that the scenarios that involve Keenum getting to free agency aren't worth discussing in anything other than academic terms? To that, I agree.

1 hour ago, gopherwrestler said:

If someone would offer Keenum a huge deal, say Denver, like a 5 year, 110M contract.

Would any of us actually want the Vikings to get into a bidding war with them? Or just collect your comp pick and move on with someone else?

I'd thank him for a good season here and wish him luck in his new life in Denver.  I couldn't blame him for taking the big payday, but I wouldn't want to be signing that check.  With Teddy on the roster, we have to luxury of not having to overpay.  The same thing would be true in Teddy's case, as much as I like him.  If he wants to ask too much, we can always just stick with Case.

11 minutes ago, Heimdallr said:

110M over 5 years is not a huge deal. That could very easily be nothing more than a 1-year, $20M deal with a few $25M years tacked onto the end. Basically a franchise tag with team options after that.

Biggest question is how much is guaranteed. 

8 minutes ago, vikingsrule said:

Biggest question is how much is guaranteed. 

Would think that about $50M would need to be guaranteed. Guarantee $20 the first year, $20 the second year, and $10 the third year. Then have two $25M team option years tacked onto the end. Something like that.

The alternative is the tag that guarantees him $23M. If things work out, this leads to a starting point of $28M guaranteed the next year. Going year to year is more expensive but does give the team more flexibility.

5 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Most recent contracts (15-17) send to QB's for "larger amounts/years" have been greater that 50% in guarantees outside of Big Ben

True. Probably a little signing bonus  in addition to the guaranteed salaries/roster bonuses in the first three years that I listed.

Something like $10M SB, $15M salary guaranteed first year, $20M salary guaranteed second year, $25M the third year with $10M of that guaranteed, then a couple $25M per year team option years.

I like Case a lot but that 110 million contract would be a bit much. I think we need to take a step back case had a great year but this guy has had a ton of luck go his way.

Case is Diet Brett Favre 100% the risk taking gun slinger in a smaller package with a just an adequate NFL arm. Case has been extremely lucky on some of these throws he's been throwing up he could easily have twice as many INT this year. There have been plenty of throws that make you cringe that he actually threw up for grabs just for him to be lucky or for WR to make a huge play and bail him out. Going forward if Case continues taking some of these risks it's logical he isn't going to be throwing so few INTs each year.

1 hour ago, BigBearSD said:

I like Case a lot but that 110 million contract would be a bit much. I think we need to take a step back case had a great year but this guy has had a ton of luck go his way.

Case is Diet Brett Favre 100% the risk taking gun slinger in a smaller package with a just an adequate NFL arm. Case has been extremely lucky on some of these throws he's been throwing up he could easily have twice as many INT this year. There have been plenty of throws that make you cringe that he actually threw up for grabs just for him to be lucky or for WR to make a huge play and bail him out. Going forward if Case continues taking some of these risks it's logical he isn't going to be throwing so few INTs each year.

That's one of the big advantages Teddy gives us over Case.  He is a more careful with the ball.  

3 minutes ago, Uncle Buck said:

That's one of the big advantages Teddy gives us over Case.  He is a more careful with the ball.  

Not exactly, Teddy makes some pretty boneheaded throws too. 12 INT's in 13 games his rookie year, and 9 in his next season.Yes he did improve. A lot of them just make you shake your head.

Case, has got lucky on some pretty wild throws, still only thru 7 INT's on 481 throws, and Teddy threw 9 INT's in just 447 throws.

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

Not exactly, Teddy makes some pretty boneheaded throws too. 12 INT's in 13 games his rookie year, and 9 in his next season.Yes he did improve. A lot of them just make you shake your head.

Case, has got lucky on some pretty wild throws, still only thru 7 INT's on 481 throws, and Teddy threw 9 INT's in just 447 throws.

Four questions regarding those stats:

1) Who had better protection from the O-line - more time to pass?

2) Who had better receivers?

3) Who had the benefit of an OC whose scheme fits his talents?

4) Who had more experience in the league during the period of time you are quoting these stats?

Archived