What QB Do We Want Going Into 2018?

joru1000

If It's One or the Other, Which QB Do You Want Going in to 2018?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Case or Teddy?

Maybe it’s just me, but there are times when I’d love to be able to crack a few brews with some cut ups on a projector and talk to some of you guys face to face and see what you see. It’d be pretty neat to see how different our perceptions are looking at things side by side.

Case, while you see his velocity isn't there on throws that some could make, one thing he has done well for the most part is ball placement. He just struggles when he is forced to make those tight window throws. It is there, its just interceptable and can be there a bit late.

Teddy, he can make a lot of big time throws, he has enough arm strength. He just is all over the place at times. Throwing to the right side has been a slight problem for him and deep, it has been that way since college. His middle of the field and most mid range stuff is pretty damn good tho. He just rushes so much and seems like he just wants to get rid of the ball.

and like I said I love Teddy, I still think he could thrive in this offense if he was 100% healthy from the beginning. But it is still hard to say they will just hand over everything to Teddy. 

We still don't even know how he actually is physically. Did he take a big regression from being off the field? Did that knee actually hurt him and more of his body than we think?

Just so many unknowns when we at least know Case can lead us this far so far.

27 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Just so many unknowns when we at least know Case can lead us this far so far.

I guess part of the question is where the threshold is for how good a quarterback has to be for this team to be great. With half our roster injured, Sam Bradford led the team to 8-8. Case Keenum, a free agent barely nobody wanted, has led us to 13-3. Do we really NEED to pay a quarterback $20 million in order to stay competitive? Or could you get by plugging almost anyone in?

4 minutes ago, Klomp said:

Or could you get by plugging almost anyone in?

Really believes it matters who it is.
This offense thrived from Case being able to make plays and giving the others actual chances to make a play.
Not every QB can do that.

Teddy and Case I believe can. There are plenty of others too that can.

Sam, when healthy gives every receiver the best chance, but he can't really make plays himself too often. Yet, he is by far the most accurate thrower and probably the only one that will completely dominate a team with his arm. When Sam is on, he is ON. Just so hard to believe he isn't going to ding up that knee again, and really question how he would do behind a line that is dinged up and not giving him good enough protection.

3 hours ago, Klomp said:

I can't help but look at these numbers at the same time....

Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay, $20.3 million
Andrew Luck, Indianapolis, $19.4 million
Drew Brees, New Orleans, $19 million
Russell Wilson, Seattle, $18.8 million
Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh, $18.2 million
Tom Brady, New England, $14 million

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/quarterback-salaries-cap-hits-highest-paid-players

How many of those QBs is Keenum better than?

I'm not sure where you're getting the 12th in the league number from either. Only eight QBs had a cap hit of $20 million this season.

I was looking at their yearly average via sportrac. I should have been more clear, mea culpa. 

http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/contracts/quarterback/

Rodgers and Brees are both at the end of contracts that perfectly illustrate the manner in which QB valuation continues to go up over time; they are now severely under paid. Rodgers is expected to sign a contract exceeding $30 million a season in the near future. Luck and Wilson are both early on in contracts that have some balloon years in the middle or end, although these balloon years appear to keep pace with where the QB market is expected to go. Roethlisburger's contract is odd, it had a dip in the middle, in 2016 he made $23 million and over the next two years he will make $23 million. Tom Brady is the exception, but he is notorious for taking a very team friendly deal so that others can get paid. 

Picking out the cap hit in any one year is not necessarily a great representation of a players value. I understand that average value can be misconstrued as well, however I think it is generally a better measure. FWIW, I agree that Case is not better than those QBs, I am not arguing that we should pay case $23 million a year...merely that it is likely he will command that salary, whether here or elsewhere. 

Forbes is projecting that Kirk Cousins will set a new high water mark$150 Million over 5 years, $75 million at fully guaranteed. Such is the nature of the beast - nearly every off season there is a QB that sets a new high water mark, and rising tides lift all boats.

https://www.forbes.com/sites/vincentfrank/2018/01/06/what-will-kirk-cousins-free-agent-contract-look-like/2/#708d06026fcd

15 minutes ago, Dolmonite26 said:

You Can Have A Great Team Or A Great QB But You Can’t Have Both

Interesting article and a good argument for why I'm against handing Keenum a big contract.

Also makes me start wondering about what should be done (if anything) about the current salary cap situation

The article is a potential reason to perhaps not give Case a long term deal with high gaureented money, but tagging car still works under the cap

I think I’d rather franchise Keenum than sign him to long term deal as a franchise QB.

I also think there’s probably a point where Teddy is a better value risk than Case. I’d probably rather give Teddy 1 year 8 million than Case 4 years 80 million.

5 hours ago, Worm Guts said:

I think I’d rather franchise Keenum than sign him to long term deal as a franchise QB.

I also think there’s probably a point where Teddy is a better value risk than Case. I’d probably rather give Teddy 1 year 8 million than Case 4 years 80 million.

Really depends on amount of gaureented money on the case contract. 1 year tag could be more Vikings favorable than both

On a championship caliber team, you can't just willy nilly tag one very good player because there are plenty of very good players that need to be re-signed. 

Brzezinski and The Pickumulator will negotiate until they are purple in the face to get long term deals done.  And that includes QB, LB, CB, ...   Only if they run into an arrogant agent will they resort to a tag.  Why would any of the nucleus of very good players want to leave Minnesota?  Why would a GM offer an obvious low-ball contract to a very good player and risk losing him? Both sides will come to their senses.

Archived