What QB Do We Want Going Into 2018?

joru1000

If It's One or the Other, Which QB Do You Want Going in to 2018?  

98 members have voted

1. 1. Case or Teddy?

1 minute ago, Uncle Buck said:

Four questions regarding those stats:

1) Who had better protection from the O-line - more time to pass?

2) Who had better receivers?

3) Who had the benefit of an OC whose scheme fits his talents?

4) Who had more experience in the league during the period of time you are quoting these stats?

1) Of course Case, but he still did not turn the ball over as much... 9 more turnovers
2) Of course Case, but he still wasn't as accurate.
3) Of course Case, but he still was throwing INT's to defenders, and fumbling the ball more.
4) Case started 11 more games. So half of a season more starts.

Teddy is safe with the ball, but to say he is safer is a stretch. Teddy thru bonehead throws. Case is a wildman with some plays. Teddy struggled to hang onto the ball, when he got hit.
It's fine to say it.

2 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

1) Of course Case, but he still did not turn the ball over as much... 9 more turnovers
2) Of course Case, but he still wasn't as accurate.
3) Of course Case, but he still was throwing INT's to defenders, and fumbling the ball more.
4) Case started 11 more games. So half of a season more starts.

Teddy is safe with the ball, but to say he is safer is a stretch. Teddy thru bonehead throws. Case is a wildman with some plays. Teddy struggled to hang onto the ball, when he got hit.
It's fine to say it.

I guess it's pretty hard to compare two quarterbacks when they are playing in such different situations.  As I've said before, if we end up with Case, I will trust the front office with the decision.  I'm just hoping they decide to go with Teddy.  :)

10 hours ago, Riddle said:

How is it not a lock? I would love to better understand all these questions that you and others think will drive his value down to below the 12th QB in the league. QB's get paid, and the rates go up year over year. Mike freaking Glennon got 3 years at $45 M. Mike. Freaking. Glennon. Case struck gold at the right time. He is just young enough at 30, as QB's are generally thought to have a later decline than most positions. I agree that I'M not in love with paying Case huge money, but given the demand for competent QB play - if the Vike's wont someone will.

I can't help but look at these numbers at the same time....

Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay, $20.3 million
Andrew Luck, Indianapolis, $19.4 million
Drew Brees, New Orleans, $19 million
Russell Wilson, Seattle, $18.8 million
Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh, $18.2 million
Tom Brady, New England, $14 million

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/quarterback-salaries-cap-hits-highest-paid-players

How many of those QBs is Keenum better than?

I'm not sure where you're getting the 12th in the league number from either. Only eight QBs had a cap hit of $20 million this season.

4 hours ago, CriminalMind said:

Mike Zimmer really likes Teddy, that's awesome, but still deactivated him (likely in discussion with Rick, because QB changes are always organizational decisions)

People are way too fixated on his gameday deactivation.

Just because they are more confident in other options in early January doesn't mean the same will be the case in September. That's a long time for him to continue rehabbing and to continue to improve.

Here's one thing that I am willing to admit.

With a new OC possibly bringing in a new system, someone like Teddy might not be the best developmental option available. With Keenum re-signed as a starter, they may just opt for drafting someone in the early-to-middle rounds as the guy, in case Keenum falters longterm.

54 minutes ago, gopherwrestler said:

Also Teddy fumbled it 8 times in 2015 and lost it 7 times, while Case only fumbled it once all year long and recovered it.

That's 9 more turnovers than Case in a single year.

Hard to say he is more careful with the ball.

The fumbles I wouldn't hold too much against teddy, that's more reflective on that terrible offensive line. Sam Bradford was great at protecting the ball through the air last year still had 10 fumbles from the pressure.

As well that # isn't how many were actually lost teddy only lost 3 fumbles in 2015.

Part of this also goes towards Case's strength of escaping pressure. But then again I can't be sure Case would be as successful avoiding the amount of pressure that came from the O-line we had the past few years. Especially with all the blind side pressure let up by Matt Kalil compared to Riley Reiff.

1 hour ago, Uncle Buck said:

Four questions regarding those stats:

1) Who had better protection from the O-line - more time to pass?

2) Who had better receivers?

3) Who had the benefit of an OC whose scheme fits his talents?

4) Who had more experience in the league during the period of time you are quoting these stats?

Still there is no evidence that Teddy is more careful with the ball then Case.

55 minutes ago, Klomp said:

I can't help but look at these numbers at the same time....

Aaron Rodgers, Green Bay, $20.3 million
Andrew Luck, Indianapolis, $19.4 million
Drew Brees, New Orleans, $19 million
Russell Wilson, Seattle, $18.8 million
Ben Roethlisberger, Pittsburgh, $18.2 million
Tom Brady, New England, $14 million

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/quarterback-salaries-cap-hits-highest-paid-players

How many of those QBs is Keenum better than?

I'm not sure where you're getting the 12th in the league number from either. Only eight QBs had a cap hit of $20 million this season.

These numbers are rather meaningless when comparing Case situation

How many of those QBs were ever free agents?

How many of those QBs were extended while under contract?

Jimmy is going to be tagged

Cousins was tagged.

Leverage drives prices up

To be honest. I could care of less what we end up doing with QB.

Rookie QB: Most likely would be someone falling or a trade up.

Sleeves: Only way this happens is if somehow our team has the upmost faith in that knee and the reports are false.

Teddy: Beloved. Probably my favorite QB we have had, just as a lovable QB. More than capable winning for us if he can come back like he was.

Case: Proved he earned a starting job, while not the best, we have witnessed he can win for us. 12-3

Just now, gopherwrestler said:

fumbles running the ball.

I seem to remember a pretty dumb INT against the Packers....

But throwing left handed is something that isn't careless. Far less careless than anything Case has done this year.

And two dumb interceptions on back to back throws against Washington for Case. A TERRIBLE decision in a critical game last week too.

Cian Fahey also did a good dive into interceptable passes through film analysis that painted Case as very lucky in the nicest terms. He’s a gunslinger, and that’s what he does. Teddy isn’t. Gunslingers make a lot of great plays because they are willing to try. That’s not a slight against Keenum, he’s just a more reckless player. Zimmer has said as much.

Not nearly as careless as that in a close game in a divisional game.

Theres no doubt about that. I even said that in a previous post just a bit ago. Case is a wildman. Teddy has issues with ball control and just hanging onto it.

Teddy also tries to make plays but takes off because he was athletic, Case is athletic enough to escape pressure but will take the gamble throwing it.

Teddy has his fumbles on gambles like this, Case may throw a pick time to time in these types of situation.

I am not willing to say either one is more careful with the ball.

Archived