Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

3 hours ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

Had at least a failed test at the combine and may have had one during the regular season

You know this for sure? You don't need a failed drug test if you get arrested with pot, you can be suspended for first offense. See Geronimo, Datone, Sam Shields and now Jones.

1 minute ago, Packerraymond said:

You know this for sure? You don't need a failed drug test if you get arrested with pot, you can be suspended for first offense. See Geronimo, Datone, Sam Shields and now Jones.

I don't know anything for sure, I'm not on the list that gets to see it. That was just the rumor at the time. You're right, I shouldn't be speaking so authoritatively based on a rumor.

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Big loss, especially for Week 2. Losing A LOT of explosion at RB for the first 2 weeks. 

No not really.  He's a real good back but we also will be getting Montgomery back.  He's every bit as good as Jones.   We will also have Williams as well.  Not sure who will be #3 at this point.  Maybe Mayes makes the 53.  Not worried we have some depth.

6 hours ago, Scoremore said:

No not really.  He's a real good back but we also will be getting Montgomery back.  He's every bit as good as Jones.   We will also have Williams as well.  Not sure who will be #3 at this point.  Maybe Mayes makes the 53.  Not worried we have some depth.

It's a loss - no question. You want to be at top speed - or if not, have absences caused by injury as opposed to these "self-inflicted" ones -  which brings up the point I wanted to make: It's early July. How our depth will look when the season rolls around. The #1 hassle with #88 is his ability to stay on the field.......so, we'll hope for the best.

Add on:  So - are we done? This takes care of our Police Blotter issues right? Now - if we didnt have any failed drug tests........

Edited by Leader

24 minutes ago, Leader said:

It's a loss - no question. You want to be at top speed - or if not, have absences caused by injury as opposed to these "self-inflicted" ones -  which brings up the point I wanted to make: It's early July. How our depth will look when the season rolls around. The #1 hassle with #88 is his ability to stay on the field.......so, we'll hope for the best.

Add on:  So - are we done? This takes care of our Police Blotter issues right? Now - if we didnt have any failed drug tests........

We've still got our preseason tests and our tests of anybody who's already in the program. We're not done. 

7 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Montgomery isnt Jones, not even close. Neither is Williams. I'll give you both and just keep Jones. The kid is going to be special assuming we give him the ball.

• Like 1

I doubt that the Jones suspension has any effect on the roster.  Montgomery and Williams can handle two games, and if absolutely needed Cobb or Rip can take some RB snaps.  Just going from what we know without seeing them in the preseason, who would you rather keep, Mays/Bouagnon or St Brown/Davis/Valdez-Scantling/Amichia? I would always sacrifice the RB, unless he shows up and looks like Eric Dickerson.

33 minutes ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

I doubt that the Jones suspension has any effect on the roster.  Montgomery and Williams can handle two games, and if absolutely needed Cobb or Rip can take some RB snaps.  Just going from what we know without seeing them in the preseason, who would you rather keep, Mays/Bouagnon or St Brown/Davis/Valdez-Scantling/Amichia? I would always sacrifice the RB, unless he shows up and looks like Eric Dickerson.

If someone shows up to preseason with goggles and a jerhi curl they better GD well make the team!!!

Edited by wgbeethree

9 hours ago, Leader said:

I would say that a close #2 hassle with #88 is that he didn't really look the part as the starting RB last year. His yards per carry was slightly better than Williams', but with less than half the carries, and Williams got better as the season went on. I just didn't see the instincts with Montgomery. He looked kind of musclebound and not good at hitting the holes, and it seemed as if the opposition had figured him out. But him and Williams (and maybe someone else) will have to carry the load for the first two games. They'll be okay, but neither of them is the game breaker that Jones is. 

4 hours ago, DavidatMIZZOU said:

Just means we carry a RB who will get cut after week 2. Doesn't mean anything to the roster.

We wouldn't have used Jones for the first two weeks anyway.  Only time we'll use him is when everybody else is dinged up.  He'll rush for 140 yards, 60 yards, 100 yards and 120 yards, Montgomery will be healthy, we won't go back to Jones for three weeks and then when we do he'll get two or three carried a game.

1 hour ago, Greg C. said:

I would say that a close #2 hassle with #88 is that he didn't really look the part as the starting RB last year. His yards per carry was slightly better than Williams', but with less than half the carries, and Williams got better as the season went on. I just didn't see the instincts with Montgomery. He looked kind of musclebound and not good at hitting the holes, and it seemed as if the opposition had figured him out. But him and Williams (and maybe someone else) will have to carry the load for the first two games. They'll be okay, but neither of them is the game breaker that Jones is. 

This is true.