Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

On 1/2/2022 at 10:23 AM, CWood21 said:

He's not wrong, but it's also not as easy as he's making it out to be.  Cap issues are a problem, but it's also needs to be discussed in context.  The Packers need to clear about ~$19.1M to tag Adams, which could be cleared by releasing Za'Darius Smith and Randall Cobb.  Is Adams worth releasing Rodgers' friend and a "starting" pass rusher?

I thought the strategy for keeping Aaron around is to keep him happy. Cobb was a sticking point for him to return this season. Rodgers is an older player and he needs some older guys on the roster that he can relate to. I don't think releasing one of his best friends would be smart if you really want him back. Yes Z is gone for sure but we need to find a way to keep Adams, and instead of releasing Cobb why not sign him to a cap friendly extension? I dont think it's about the money for Cobb, Adams it's all about the money.

Edited by St Vince

I think the Packers have something with Tyler Davis. He's the best blocking TE on the roster once old man Lewis decides to hang 'em up, and he moves like lightning compared to Degura. Tight End is a position that takes longer to fully develop given the skill range spectrum goes all the way from lineman to wide receiver. But he seems to be coming along a smidge quicker than Robert Tonyan (27) who didn't break out until his 4th year in the league. Davis (24) was a 6th round pick in 2020.

• Like 4

16 minutes ago, Mr Anonymous said:

I think the Packers have something with Tyler Davis. He's the best blocking TE on the roster once old man Lewis decides to hang 'em up, and he moves like lightning compared to Degura. Tight End is a position that takes longer to fully develop given the skill range spectrum goes all the way from lineman to wide receiver. But he seems to be coming along a smidge quicker than Robert Tonyan (27) who didn't break out until his 4th year in the league. Davis (24) was a 6th round pick in 2020.

He's the closest thing to Tonyan on the roster. I agree Deguara looks more like a fullback than a TE. Doesn't seem comfortable running down the middle of the field. Davis' catch against Balt was a beauty and we need that element in the playoffs even just one or two shots a game. I'd relegate Deguara to purly that H-back role and give Davis more looks as the move TE.

• Like 2

What is the deal with Z? Was his injury more serious than we know about? Backs are tricky.
Could there be a contractual agreement which keeps the Packers from playing him not wanting him to get hurt again?  Are they just waiting at this point to cut him?
They don’t even seem to mention him. At this point in his recovery I’m thinking  the Packers could waive him after the season with no injury designation.  Is this that big of a deal?   And does anyone here think he plays  this season? 
I know how cautious with injuries the Packers traditionally are,  could this be the simple answer?

15 minutes ago, Kepler said:

You guys think this season tanked Z's value or does he still make a killing on the open market?

Pass rushers are going to be sought after either way, but I'd guess that Z ends up signing a 1-year deal for a decent salary and a bunch of sack incentives if/when released by us. 

3 minutes ago, Norse65 said:

What is the deal with Z? Was his injury more serious than we know about? Backs are tricky.
Could there be a contractual agreement which keeps the Packers from playing him not wanting him to get hurt again?  Are they just waiting at this point to cut him?
They don’t even seem to mention him. At this point in his recovery I’m thinking  the Packers could waive him after the season with no injury designation.  Is this that big of a deal?   And does anyone here think he plays  this season? 
I know how cautious with injuries the Packers traditionally are,  could this be the simple answer?

It is really weird to me. Does Z even exist? Is this the mandela effect?

Edited by Kepler

3 minutes ago, Norse65 said:

All the above. We don't really know what his back injury is, including why he needed surgery. We also don't know the specific parameters of his contract in terms of what a re-aggravation of that injury would mean regarding our ability to release him before March. I'm assuming there's something there that is at least giving the Packers pause about bringing him back in fear of re-injury. 

• Like 1

Well, not to beat a dead horse, but our good friend TJ Watt appears primed to break the record for single-season sacks next week. He's currently at 21.5 for the season (I believe in 14 games played). There's irony somewhere in the fact that Ted basically kicked off his GM career by drafting Aaron Rodgers (a generational, maybe once in forever talent) and ended his career by passing on Watt (who may be on his way to be a HOF player himself). 

Speaking of that, we know Gutey took over the following year in 2018. We'll never know, but I wonder what his vote was in the war room in 2017? I've read stories that there was a faction in the room who wanted Watt, but I wonder if Gutey would have pulled that trigger or if he was team Ted/King as well...

Regarding Z, it’s hard to make any sort of assumption of when he should or could’ve come back without knowing what his surgery entailed.

But let’s remember, regardless of the surgery that took place, it only happened back in September - the season had already started. I’m not a neuro-surgeon, but any back or spine surgery typically requires several months of recovery.

When I heard he had back surgery, I assumed spine and thought to myself, he’s probably done for the season.  I kept that thought to myself because “assuming” anything isn’t the same as “knowing”.  Regardless, it’s only been just over 3 months since surgery, and that’s not a lot of time for something presumably as serious as your back.

4 hours ago, Kepler said:

You guys think this season tanked Z's value or does he still make a killing on the open market?

4 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Pass rushers are going to be sought after either way, but I'd guess that Z ends up signing a 1-year deal for a decent salary and a bunch of sack incentives if/when released by us. 

This is true if he doesn't come back and play in the playoffs. He he comes back, plays well and produces he's more likely to get a good contract.