Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

27 minutes ago, spilltray said:
7 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

I dont think he's leaving, but you'll be facing retirement talk every offseason until he does.  Rodgers fatigue will only get worse as we go into each offseason.

Which is part of why he needs to go.

yup.  the contemplating retirement is starting to increase.  I doubt it is this year as Brady retiring leaves a question on HOF induction overshadowing...or maybe Rodgers won't care about that😉

5 hours ago, VonKarman said:

He can't get anything from Adams

Yah, he's not worth anything. 🙄  If he went on the free agency market he'd be getting huge dollars .. may just get it from GB.  To say he wouldn't bring anything is silly; unless you are being sarcastic (which I can never tell).

36 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

How so?  Tag & Trade

Adams would hold a fair amount of leverage in that process.   GB can tag him yes.   they need to clear cap space to do that

Adams can also let it be known if and who he would sign an extension with, so that may very well drive the compensation

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Adams would hold a fair amount of leverage in that process.   GB can tag him yes.   they need to clear cap space to do that

Adams can also let it be known if and who he would sign an extension with, so that may very well drive the compensation

He'd draw a lot of interest if tagged .. he's a top 3 wr in the NFL.  The Packers would just have to beat a later 3rd round comp pick in 2023 to come out ahead of simply letting him walk.  If they trade Rodgers like they should they should be able to get Adams tag number under the cap until they can get him dealt.  Then after he's dealt they have some money to play with to add a new receiver to the mix if they want.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, R T said:

If the Packers are going to cut good players and weaken the team to tag him, it will be for the purpose of keeping him not to trade him. 

How does that work cap wise though? Does the salary only hit the cap once he signs the franchise tender or once we apply it? In other words, if the Packers wanted to tag and trade him, could they do it without it impacting other cap moves (assuming 17 doesn't sign the tender)?

Edited by packfanfb

11 hours ago, Leader said:

Tom Silverstein -  Packers QB Aaron Rodgers said he feels there is a lot of promise with the team in the future whether he's there or not. The question is who will have to go if he returns.

///

Doesnt sound like a "discount rate" is in the offing.
Btw....for such a successful and eligible bachelor....he looks like ****

I think he's happy with what the Packers are offering him.  It's all about getting Adams at this point.  He said he'll make a decision in a couple of weeks, which lines up close with the Feb 22 tag start date.  

12 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

How does that work cap wise though? Does the salary only hit the cap once he signs the franchise tender or once we apply it? In other words, if the Packers wanted to tag and trade him, could they do it without it impacting other cap moves (assuming 17 doesn't sign the tender)?

Nope, the tag amount counts against the cap. He would need to be tagged by March 8th and the Packers have until 4PM March 16th to be at/under the cap. Adams could not be officially traded until after 4PM on the 16th, first business day of the new year. It is why the Packers doing the Hokey-Pokey with a tag and trade is fairly iffy.   

• Like 2

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

He'd draw a lot of interest if tagged .. he's a top 3 wr in the NFL.  The Packers would just have to beat a later 3rd round comp pick in 2023 to come out ahead of simply letting him walk.  If they trade Rodgers like they should they should be able to get Adams tag number under the cap until they can get him dealt.  Then after he's dealt they have some money to play with to add a new receiver to the mix if they want.

yes he is.  But a team would be giving up a draft pick for Adams on a 1 year rental if he is unwilling to sign a long term deal with them.   

EXAMPLE:  Houston is offering a 2nd round pick for Adams.  Adams says he will not sign a long term deal.  Houston could still do the trade, send a 2022 2nd round pick and pay Adams the tag value for 1 year and then he leaves (or they tag him again at 120% of the current tag) and then get a late 3rd round pick.    I doubt many teams want that as the transactions process.  

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, squire12 said:

yes he is.  But a team would be giving up a draft pick for Adams on a 1 year rental if he is unwilling to sign a long term deal with them.   

EXAMPLE:  Houston is offering a 2nd round pick for Adams.  Adams says he will not sign a long term deal.  Houston could still do the trade, send a 2022 2nd round pick and pay Adams the tag value for 1 year and then he leaves (or they tag him again at 120% of the current tag) and then get a late 3rd round pick.    I doubt many teams want that as the transactions process.  

Problem is,, I'm not sure Adams wants a long term deal in Green Bay.  Who is the QB in 2023, 2024???  I can go to the Chargers, probably get more money, live in sunshine, play with Herbert for 3-4 years.  

This is Adams chance to cash in,  no way I'd play on the tag.  Blow out my knee and I'm done.  I'd at least want big money and a option to get out when Rodgers does, and I'm not sure that would trump a LTD with another contender.

It will be interesting.

29 minutes ago, squire12 said:

There will be several teams interested .. plenty that will appeal to Adams and give him the huge contract he wants.  The lure of adding a talent like Adams will push some teams to part with a pick or two higher than a late 3rd comp pick in 2023.

1 hour ago, packfanfb said:

I tried looking it up, but I believe the Packers have to be under the cap by the deadline which includes franchise tagging Davante Adams.  I don't think it guarantees until he signs it, but there's a "placeholder" for that cap hit.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, squire12 said:

From Houston?  Probably not.  For a team like LA Chargers or Buffalo?  I think they'd absolutely consider that.  You'd rent a top 3 WR for a year and then collect a draft pick a year later.