Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

8 minutes ago, Leader said:

Peter Bukowski -  Gutekunst confirms Rodgers was part of the conversation on hiring Tom Clements but insists the hire was done in the best interest of the team “whether Aaron is here or not”

Exactly, Rodgers loves Clements, but I believe Love will benefit more from this hiring.  

1 hour ago, R T said:

I think this is wishful thinking, the Packers can't pay close to what he will get on the open market.

2 hours ago, NFLGURU said:

I think the Campbell negotiations were about finding out what they will need to do with other contracts and moves to get him in.  I'd be surprised if he's not a Packer next year.  Still got some work to do, and they have a couple of higher priorities, but I believe he's a upper target for them.

Gutey's press conference today sure gave me the vibe Campbell and Rodgers will be back.

1 hour ago, mikemike778 said:

All void years mean is that you push 5m out beyond the current contract.

It comes into play either way.  Either you pay 5m to a player who has left or pay an extra 5m on top of his next contract.  

Think of the salary cap like this

2022 = 208
2023 = 225
2024 = 250
2025 = 270
and so on

GB needs cap space now.  Burrowing from the future is necessary and a good thing to do to a point.  Clark is someone that will see the end of his current contract and has a high probability to get a 3rd contract, so kicking his cap charge down the road is not that big of an issue.   

The bigger issue is when you do so with a player nearing the end of their contract or a contract you may want to get out of before it expires.  Bahktiairi, Z Smith, P Smith are more in that category

11 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Pretty definitive stuff here. Sorry to the "oh no, what about our future cap???" whiners.

Based on the situation and them HAVING to get Adams and Rodgers under the cap for the beginning of the league year, what else was he supposed to say?

If it gets to a situation where they tag Adams, Rodgers is going to be pissed and want out. I think he wants out already. 

We currently sit at 115 million in cap room for 2023 and 175 million in 2024. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Pretty definitive stuff here. Sorry to the "oh no, what about our future cap???" whiners.

Are there that many? I haven't been all that worried about it honestly. 

It's still real, but it's going to keep going up and they know that. 

Seems to me it isn't the future as much as now?

Edited by Norm

12 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Any trade value with him?  There's plenty of teams with cap room, and good pass rushers ain't easy to find.

Somebody can correct me if I'm wrong, but we have to be under the cap prior to the start of free agency and trades being able to take place. I don't see us getting under the cap with his cap number as is. 

11 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Based on the situation and them HAVING to get Adams and Rodgers under the cap for the beginning of the league year, what else was he supposed to say?

If it gets to a situation where they tag Adams, Rodgers is going to be pissed and want out. I think he wants out already. 

We currently sit at 115 million in cap room for 2023 and 175 million in 2024. 

That's because they currently don't have a team for 2023 or 2024. They have 24 and 16 players under contract for those seasons and some of those players won't be on those teams either.  

Edited by R T