Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

12 minutes ago, Leader said:

I've honestly not seen or read a whole lot of details of what the club is offering.....so it's a mystery. Kinda agree with the sentiment though. He's good.....just not set a new mark in the CB market good.....at least not yet.

I wonder....is a defensive guy affected by AR's "I'm coming / I'm going" ambivalence....or is it (again) just about the money?

I would assume for a guy like Jaire getting his first deal, it's 100% about the money and fit.  Less about the chance to win, especially since they have been winning.

If he was on detroit maybe he'd be a bit more jaded, but I would expect he stays but tries to maximize his earnings.

If you have Rasul and Stokes in hand, not sure JA needs a record setting deal.

5 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

I would assume for a guy like Jaire getting his first deal, it's 100% about the money and fit.  Less about the chance to win, especially since they have been winning.

If he was on detroit maybe he'd be a bit more jaded, but I would expect he stays but tries to maximize his earnings.

If you have Rasul and Stokes in hand, not sure JA needs a record setting deal.

IF you are confident in Jaire's health you pay elite CB's their money. I'm OK with him getting Ramsey money if he checks out medically with no worries about his shoulder going forward. 

We would be one of a few teams that could roll out 3 CB's that could play man to man and win. 

24 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

IF you are confident in Jaire's health you pay elite CB's their money. I'm OK with him getting Ramsey money if he checks out medically with no worries about his shoulder going forward. 

We would be one of a few teams that could roll out 3 CB's that could play man to man and win. 

Huh?

Peter Bukowski -   Brian Gutekunst 1st and 2nd round picks

Jaire Alexander
Josh Jackson
Rashan Gary
Darnell Savage
Elgton Jenkins
Jordan Love
AJ Dillon
Eric Stokes
Josh Myers

Jaire Alexander and Elgton Jenkins are already Pro Bowlers. Rashan Gary should have made the NFC team this year and Darnell Savage had a strong case in 2020. Even if we just stopped there, that would be pretty awesome. But we don't have to.

Eric Stokes played CB1 last year and despite being one of the most targeted corners in the league he gave up the 5th lowest completion percentage according to SIS, led rookies in pass breakups and forced incompletions via PFF. Pro Bowl potential.

33 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Pretty sure he was locked down man to man in the Arizona game where he saved the game with an INT. 

every zone is man to man when the player is in your zone.

goal line you don't need safety help over the top.

but you know that.  What you didn't know is that Douglas is a zone corner, and that the packers are a zone team.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, skibrett15 said:

Douglas is a zone corner, and that the packers are a zone team.

He may not be the greatest thing since sliced bread, but this year at least, he showed an uncanny knack / nose for the ball - 5 INT / 13 PBU - with 2 TDs. 

At this stage Stokes appears to rely on a pure speed skill set - but he led the team with 14 PBU's - probably cause opposing QB's were targeting him - but he held up okay and he'll grow / get better. I'm glad we drafted him. He's got the wheels/skills.

Savage had a nice 2020 season - took a small step back last year - and IMO Jaire's a coverage/PBU guy as opposed to an INT guy. QB's may actually avoid his coverage responsibility - but he still had a good amount of pass breakups in 2020.

On 3/18/2022 at 9:22 AM, Isherwood said:

“People come to Green Bay to play with me” might be the funniest thing he’s ever said. Who, Randall Cobb and James Jones? 

“People leave me to go play with Derek Carr” - Aaron Rodgers, 2022

Let's be real.. When have we ever had a stud pick us other than Chuck with limited options and reggie white saying god told him to go (aka a giant bag of money) I've been to Green Bay twice and it's a bit of a dump. Acting like Adams left because of Rodgers is hilarious. 😂 Warm weather, childhood team and no income tax had nothing to do with it. 

• Like 1

On 3/18/2022 at 12:15 PM, skibrett15 said:

so, I'm a little concerned the team may be getting ahead of themselves on Jaire.

Feels like the consensus here is that he's a bona fide star and one of the best defenders in the league.

Now, I'd be happy to pay him like JC Jackson, but I don't want him to be treated like Jalen Ramsey's next deal.

He's not a guy that other teams are "fearful of" because of his ball skills, and he's not quite as consistent as the best lockdown corners.  He's sort of a hybrid there.

He's better than Jalen Ramsey. He's the best cover corner in the NFL. I don't know how you could watch the team in 2020 and post this.

• Like 4