Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

Me, too.  I think he's a 30 touches a year minimum receiver on a lot of teams.  We give him 2 sweeps and a garbage time catch a year. 

Just a question. Do you think he’s earned those snaps? Word has it he hasn’t here in Green Bay. Watch though. He’ll walk for peanuts and have a 50-600-7 year somewhere 

• Like 1

Just now, MantyWrestler said:

Just a question. Do you think he’s earned those snaps? Word has it he hasn’t here in Green Bay. Watch though. He’ll walk for peanuts and have a 50-600-7 year somewhere 

I don't like this "earned" suggestion.  I believe he had more ability to help this team than he was given the chance to.  Same with Davis.  Falcons game last year, Davis got in the game because of injuries to other receivers.  He had 3 catches, 24 yards and a TD.  Not amazing, but it's clear he has ability, and NFL ability at that.  In 2015, Janis had  catches in the regular season.  Injuries, and he had 7 receptions for 145 yards and 2 touchdowns. 

If you're going to be a draft and develop team, you have to give players like Janis a chance.  Chances are he never does much in his career, but Bill Schroeder was a similar receiver to Janis in a lot of ways.  Packers, Patriots, then Packers again in his first three years.  He had 2 catches those three years.  Then 1998 happened.  Brooks had an injury-riddled and aging season and Freeman was our only option, so Schroeder got opportunities, had 31 catches.  Then the next season he had 74 catches for over 1,000 yards and the year after that he led the NFC with over 17 yards per catch and just missed a second consecutive 1,000 yard season by a yard.

Bill Schroeder was NOT a good WR.  He didn't know what the hell he was doing out there, he made a lot of mental errors and so on, but he was wildly valuable to our offense because he was a threat, and a threat defenses had to respect. 

I do not think Janis will ever have a great career or anything other than an average NFL career, but I DO believe that he is perfectly capable of helping our offense, and it's why I get so pissed off at people who were bitching about how we should cut him.  And Davis.

You've got two special teams studs (I don't give a **** how many times Davis called for a fair catch inside the ten, he didn't fumble or muff a punt this year and he was 5th in the NFL in punt return average), and people want them cut because they're lol stupid.  They're not going to get better playing NFL games if they're never given opportunities to play in NFL games.

Also, Schroeder is another in a long list of players (and even Packers) that proves you can never give up on a player at any point in their career.  Schroeder played for two teams in three years and had 2 catches in that time only to end his 10 year career with 4,500 yards and 28 touchdowns. 

Edited by HorizontoZenith
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, MantyWrestler said:

He just hasn't gotten a chance to play because Jordy, Adams, Cobb and Allison are ahead of him.

Not certain if this has been posted here already, but some interesting insights.....

Grading the Pack - End of Year Review

Highest Graded Offensive Players:

Aaron Rodgers +20.20
Davante Adams +19.85
David Bakhtiari +18.00
Lane Taylor +11.30
Aaron Jones +9.00

Highest Graded Defensive Players:

Kenny Clark +10.95
Mike Daniels +6.30
Clay Matthews +5.50
Morgan Burnett +4.40
Damarious Randall +4.35

Lowest Graded Offensive Players: (Note-RT is a problem.....)

Justin McCray -14.90
Jason Spriggs -13.10
Lance Kendricks -7.90
Bryan Bulaga -4.95
Kyle Murphy -4.00

Lowest Graded Defensive Players

HaHa Clinton-Dix -9.40
Josh Hawkins -5.90
Kyler Fackrell -5.20
Kentrell Brice -5.10
Quinton Dial -4.60

Highest Rated Players Per Snap – Offense (minimum 50 snaps)

Aaron Rodgers +0.048
Aaron Jones +0.038
Ty Montgomery +0.026
Davante Adams +0.026
David Bakhtiari +0.024

Highest Rated Players Per Snap – Defense (minimum 50 snaps)

Kenny Clark +0.016
Lenzy Pipkins +0.011
Mike Daniels +0.010
Chris Odom +0.085
Clay Matthews +0.084

2017 Draft Class:

Kevin King: -1.05
Josh Jones: -4.30
Montravius Adams: -2.05
Vince Biegel: -1.50
Jamaal Williams: +4.65
Deangelo Yancey: N/A
Aaron Jones: +9.00
Kofi Amichia: N/A
Devante Mays: -1.85
Malachi Dupre: N/A

Total: +2.90

https://cheeseheadtv.com/blog/grading-the-pack-end-of-year-review-519

1 hour ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I don't like this "earned" suggestion.  I believe he had more ability to help this team than he was given the chance to.  Same with Davis.  Falcons game last year, Davis got in the game because of injuries to other receivers.  He had 3 catches, 24 yards and a TD.  Not amazing, but it's clear he has ability, and NFL ability at that.  In 2015, Janis had  catches in the regular season.  Injuries, and he had 7 receptions for 145 yards and 2 touchdowns. 

If you're going to be a draft and develop team, you have to give players like Janis a chance.  Chances are he never does much in his career, but Bill Schroeder was a similar receiver to Janis in a lot of ways.  Packers, Patriots, then Packers again in his first three years.  He had 2 catches those three years.  Then 1998 happened.  Brooks had an injury-riddled and aging season and Freeman was our only option, so Schroeder got opportunities, had 31 catches.  Then the next season he had 74 catches for over 1,000 yards and the year after that he led the NFC with over 17 yards per catch and just missed a second consecutive 1,000 yard season by a yard.

Bill Schroeder was NOT a good WR.  He didn't know what the hell he was doing out there, he made a lot of mental errors and so on, but he was wildly valuable to our offense because he was a threat, and a threat defenses had to respect. 

I do not think Janis will ever have a great career or anything other than an average NFL career, but I DO believe that he is perfectly capable of helping our offense, and it's why I get so pissed off at people who were bitching about how we should cut him.  And Davis.

You've got two special teams studs (I don't give a **** how many times Davis called for a fair catch inside the ten, he didn't fumble or muff a punt this year and he was 5th in the NFL in punt return average), and people want them cut because they're lol stupid.  They're not going to get better playing NFL games if they're never given opportunities to play in NFL games.

Also, Schroeder is another in a long list of players (and even Packers) that proves you can never give up on a player at any point in their career.  Schroeder played for two teams in three years and had 2 catches in that time only to end his 10 year career with 4,500 yards and 28 touchdowns. 

I agree with everything you said BUT word has it he can’t pick up the offense and that’s why he doesn’t play. You could be right and he just wasn’t given a chance but if the latter is right I would cut him. He’s been there too long not to get it. 

As for Davis, while I think he’s soft at least I’m seeing talent. The fair catches to me is coaching. Sit his a$$ down for a few series and he’ll get it. 

19 minutes ago, Leader said:

Not certain if this has been posted here already, but some interesting insights.....

Aaron Rodgers +20.20
Davante Adams +19.85
David Bakhtiari +18.00
Lane Taylor +11.30
Aaron Jones +9.00

Kenny Clark +10.95
Mike Daniels +6.30
Clay Matthews +5.50
Morgan Burnett +4.40
Damarious Randall +4.35

Justin McCray -14.90
Jason Spriggs -13.10
Lance Kendricks -7.90
Bryan Bulaga -4.95
Kyle Murphy -4.00

HaHa Clinton-Dix -9.40
Josh Hawkins -5.90
Kyler Fackrell -5.20
Kentrell Brice -5.10
Quinton Dial -4.60

Aaron Rodgers +0.048
Aaron Jones +0.038
Ty Montgomery +0.026
Davante Adams +0.026
David Bakhtiari +0.024

Kenny Clark +0.016
Lenzy Pipkins +0.011
Mike Daniels +0.010
Chris Odom +0.085
Clay Matthews +0.084

2017 Draft Class:

Those are some pretty low grades on defense even for the guys on the plus side. 

22 minutes ago, Hands said:

A recent scout said that the Packers have one blue chip player (of course it's Rodgers) no red chips and 5-6 purple chips. This is a scout saying this. There aren't going to be any great positive numbers with this group this year.

He either forgot about Bakhtiari or is a moron so not sure what that opinion is worth

Edited by Stevein2012
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Aaron Rodgers +20.20
Davante Adams +19.85
David Bakhtiari +18.00
Lane Taylor +11.30
Aaron Jones +9.00

Kenny Clark +10.95
Mike Daniels +6.30
Clay Matthews +5.50
Morgan Burnett +4.40
Damarious Randall +4.35

Justin McCray -14.90
Jason Spriggs -13.10
Lance Kendricks -7.90
Bryan Bulaga -4.95
Kyle Murphy -4.00

HaHa Clinton-Dix -9.40
Josh Hawkins -5.90
Kyler Fackrell -5.20
Kentrell Brice -5.10
Quinton Dial -4.60

Aaron Rodgers +0.048
Aaron Jones +0.038
Ty Montgomery +0.026
Davante Adams +0.026
David Bakhtiari +0.024

Kenny Clark +0.016
Lenzy Pipkins +0.011
Mike Daniels +0.010
Chris Odom +0.085
Clay Matthews +0.084

2017 Draft Class:

Who is making these grades? 

I feel like some of them are wildly off

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SpeightTheVillain said:

Yes. My question is who is Andrew Herman?

Just a guy. But he is a guy who has taken the time to go through each game, again and again, so he can grade every single player - think about that for a while, every. single. player. Can you even begin to imagine the commitment to do that in a season that was so frustrating, most of us would struggle to watch a game even once. I followed him week by week and found his comments and film clips fascinating, a weekly piece that I really looked forward to every Friday. So no, he isn't Dom Capers secret illegitimate son, but he is good.

• Like 1