Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

I watched Olave a lot over the past couple of years.  I mean a lot.  He reminds me of the Seahawks Tyler Lockett.  Good player, impact player.  I'm not sure if he fits what the Packers want as far as size, but if they do take him, I think you are getting a Lockett type player.  I think Olave would make a great #2 WR.  Just not sure he fits their mold.

Edited by NFLGURU
  • Like 1

59 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Josh Jackson-Oren Burks-J'Mon Moore may be the worst 3 pick stretch by a Packers GM ever in terms of actual production (considering the rounds 2/3/4). Glad Gute has had better success since. 

J'Mon man what a disappointment.  He had that wiggle you look for.  Could have been a great one if his hands weren't bricks.  Josh Jackson thought he also was a good pick.  He was going to be Rasuul...Burks never developed.  At the time was happy with these guys.  Bust city...man you just never know how they are going to work out.  

11 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

J'Mon man what a disappointment.  He had that wiggle you look for.  Could have been a great one if his hands weren't bricks.  Josh Jackson thought he also was a good pick.  He was going to be Rasuul...Burks never developed.  At the time was happy with these guys.  Bust city...man you just never know how they are going to work out.  

You can see that it was a learning experience for Gute. Arguably his worst draft (jury is still out on some others but early returns on all of them are more promising).

He took Jackson like a fan would...first round grade from all the pundits, and he's here in the second? Snag him! I think now he thinks twice about going for guys because of their draft ranking.

Unless he really liked the guy. I don't ******* know.

7 minutes ago, Packer_ESP said:

A player plays good enough to price themselves out of GB after his rookie contracts.

Packer fans: bad draft!!!

We have gotten to the point that we can't call a bad draft a bad draft now? 

6 minutes ago, Sandy said:

You can see that it was a learning experience for Gute. Arguably his worst draft (jury is still out on some others but early returns on all of them are more promising).

He took Jackson like a fan would...first round grade from all the pundits, and he's here in the second? Snag him! I think now he thinks twice about going for guys because of their draft ranking.

Yah usually how it works.  We as fans are always disappointed.  Elton Jenkins?  WTF?  Prime example.  Used to do mock get emotionally invested in guys.  Packers never picked them and usually took a better player.  Guess that's why they have scouting departments hey?  

More seasoned now.  I'll just kick back watch who they take.  Research the players and get all pumped.  Then come down to earth realizing 2-3 starters is a good draft.  J'Mon man sucks he didn't work out.  Really liked the way he moved.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, R T said:

We have gotten to the point that we can't call a bad draft a bad draft now? 

How would you define a good draft?

Bad draft?

What's the criteria on each?

How many starters?  How many rotational pieces?  How many special teams contributors?

How many 2nd contracts are obtained from that teams class league wide?

15 minutes ago, Sandy said:

Jackson and Moore both had high RAS. Sometimes they just miss on those elite athletes for one reason or another.

3 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Bad draft?

How many starters?  How many rotational pieces?  How many special teams contributors?

Already addressed that a page back.

1 hour ago, R T said:

Interesting sidenote to MVS leaving town. Of the 11 draft picks from Gutes first draft class with him as the top decision makers, 4 years later only Jaire Alexander remains. Not a great class for the Packers.  

4 minutes ago, R T said:

Already addressed that a page back.

So your definition of a good/ bad draft is how many players remain after 4 years?

Regardless of what happens to those players once they hit FA?

1 hour ago, R T said:

It can't be an honest look at a year that just didn't work out? Context is that a team views a successful draft as one that creates 3 starts that are worth signing to second contracts. Those aren't my words, that is from Bill Polian, Pat Kerwin and TT themselves. After their rookie seasons I thought that group had a chance to exceed 3, but it was not to be. It happens, we can point these things out without it being a 'hop on the misery train'. Reality sucks sometimes, it's still reality.    

So 3 players got signed by other teams on contracts GB deemed too steep for thie budget make it a bad draft?

28 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Bad draft?

All pro CB

A receiver with more than 2k yards and 13 TDs that gets a big enough contract to recoup their own pick.

A first rounder for the next draft.

It’s far from a good draft but I wouldn’t say it’s “bad” though I’d understand someone else feeling that way. Just not for the reason you listed.

Edit: wrong quote, meant to quote @R T

Edited by Packer_ESP

2 hours ago, Leader said:

"Green Bay isn't a huge vacation destination, people are coming here to play with me..."

Ken Ingalls - Packers Cap -  3 wide receivers have willingly left the organization since Aaron Rodgers made these comments...

$$ talk ... nothing else .. period.  One didn't want to be here, one wasn't worth the dollars KC signed him for and the other just wasn't that good.