Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

17 hours ago, craig said:

https://www.twincities.com/2022/03/25/vikings-sign-free-agent-cornerback-chandon-sullivan-to-one-year-deal/

It's a one year deal, and per a different Minnesota report the details aren't public, but it's believed to be vet's minimum or maybe slightly more.  So again, as with Turner and MVS, I don't think this was really about salary cap.  If Gute wasn't willing to go beyond vets minimum, that's a scouting/personnel decision.  I'd thought a guy who has played a huge percentage of snaps for the last several years, and I'd thought wasn't bad, that it would be nice to have him back cheap, and the alternatives might end up being worse, perhaps lots worse.  

But I think that decision by Gute is interesting.  

Wait, doesn’t he know who many people want to come to GB to play on the same team as Aaron Rodgers?

Packers News -  It’s worth remembering that while acquiring extra early draft picks always brings a lot of noise and hope, it usually yields mixed or ho-hum results.

• Peter Bukowski -  This is good context. Trading superstars for big hauls has almost never yielded a team with a player as good as the star. But also most teams who trade stars are bad at roster management anyway.
  • The Raiders, for example, totally botched the Khalil Mack trade assets by taking mediocre-to-bad players. Draft picks are far more valuable in theory before they’re used. Then they’re a player whose impact can be quantified. And most teams are bad at drafting. Even good teams.

///

Hence my "argument" that GB needs to maximize the return on these picks. Draft maximum impact impact players.

Edited by Leader

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Packers News -  It’s worth remembering that while acquiring extra early draft picks always brings a lot of noise and hope, it usually yields mixed or ho-hum results.

• Peter Bukowski -  This is good context. Trading superstars for big hauls has almost never yielded a team with a player as good as the star. But also most teams who trade stars are bad at roster management anyway.
  • The Raiders, for example, totally botched the Khalil Mack trade assets by taking mediocre-to-bad players. Draft picks are far more valuable in theory before they’re used. Then they’re a player whose impact can be quantified. And most teams are bad at drafting. Even good teams.

///

Hence my "argument" that GB needs to maximize the return on these picks. Draft maximum impact impact players.

I think everyone knows this deal won't be good id those picks don't hit.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Arthur Penske said:

I think everyone knows this deal won't be good id those picks don't hit.

Understood but the point I've been making (which have almost exclusively been centered around the WR position) is it's not simply good enough to get starters. We'd expect our #1 picks to start (or certainly make major contributions).

I'm saying we want dynamic players (and there's really only a few of them) - not just backups or talented supplements to Lazard - and honestly - this FO has yet to prove itself when it comes to selecting WR talent - partly because they didnt have to. Well....that time has changed.

20 minutes ago, Leader said:

///

100% agreed. The Tunsil trade is the only one in recent memory that has worked out well for the team trading that player, and that isn't even quantifiable yet...it's mostly a success because Miami got Waddle and then traded for even more picks.

While Adams was obviously going to be traded no matter what, getting players who impact our immediate window will be huge. 

35 minutes ago, Leader said:

///

Let's not ignore the vets acquired with the extra cap space. I'll never understand why that is consistently left out of the equation.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, incognito_man said:

Let's not ignore the vets acquired with the extra cap space. I'll never understand why that is consistently left out of the equation.

Also the individual situation. This isn't a star blindsided by his team trading him away while the team had plenty of capital to retain them. The Packers could have gotten nothing but a 3rd round comp pick for Adams and instead ended up with premium draft picks when he was likely gone anyways. 

• Like 4

10 minutes ago, Spartacus said:

Also the individual situation. This isn't a star blindsided by his team trading him away while the team had plenty of capital to retain them. The Packers could have gotten nothing but a 3rd round comp pick for Adams and instead ended up with premium draft picks when he was likely gone anyways.

I dont think it was ever a realistic option NOT to tag Adams. To simply let him walk. That would have been stupid IMO and I'm not sure why they'd go that route.....and wonder if they'd met the same contract guarantees that LV did....if he'd have stayed.

Add on - personally I wasnt hot to trot that we have both the highest paid QB and WR.

Edited by Leader

57 minutes ago, Leader said:

///

I don’t think that argument is breaking news to anyone who’s ever acquired extra picks. No GM has ever been like, I might as well just use these extra picks as lotto tickets. Of course they need to maximize the picks as well as the team that traded them need to maximize theirs with fewer swings at the plate.

I’ll be watching to see what Gute does and the deal will be judged long term on that but they did try to keep Tae, it didn’t work out so you maximize what you can get. He got a solid haul and cap space. The draft “impact” players will be no different with the extra picks. We do have more capital to move up, which we have seen this GM willing to do. Those moves up have come with mixed results so far. 

4 minutes ago, Refugee said:

I don’t think that argument is breaking news to anyone who’s ever acquired extra picks. No GM has ever been like, I might as well just use these extra picks as lotto tickets. Of course they need to maximize the picks as well as the team that traded them need to maximize theirs with fewer swings at the plate.

I’ll be watching to see what Gute does and the deal will be judged long term on that but they did try to keep Tae, it didn’t work out so you maximize what you can get. He got a solid haul and cap space. The draft “impact” players will be no different with the extra picks. We do have more capital to move up, which we have seen this GM willing to do. Those moves up have come with mixed results so far. 

Actually...I dont think the intent of the exchange was to put forward an argument or break any news. It was just a Twitter exchange. Just a couple tweets :)

If you're looking for a "conclusion" to it - I think you reached a similar one with this comment: "Those moves up have come with mixed results so far"

With focus on the GB situation - this transaction has occurred at a time when the depth in our WR room is.....less than enviable....we're (supposedly) in "All In" mode - so there's heightened "interest" (shall we say....) that we use this extra draft capital to good (or to use my term....) maximum effect. 

12 minutes ago, Refugee said:

There is a saying that you should zig when everyone zags.

So with all teams wanting to draft impact players, best plan of action is to draft non- impact players.

Think About It Reaction GIF by Identity

• Like 4