Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

As big of a proponent as I am about the Packers needing WRs, I'm not a huge fan of the Metcalf trade scenario. Still think this team would be just fine if they can nab a guy like Parker away from Miami for a mid/lower round pick and then use one of their 1st rounders on a top WR in the draft. Then hit the position again in the 2nd-4th, particularly a guy who maybe doesn't have all the tools, but has one really good trait, like deep speed. 

Ya'll acting like a $20M AAV isn't good enough.  

If he were to ink that thing, he'd be making top 6 WR money.  Right in line with what Mike Williams got.  And Chris Godwin.  Increase it 2M a year and he's WR #4 in terms of AAV.

That's great money for a guy who hasn't even been a #1 receiving option in his NFL career.

4 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

Dude hasn't earned that money yet.  Adams and Hill did.

PFF reported in the end of February that the Seahawks offered a 4/84 extension, and it was turned down. That was before the Adams and Hill deals, but he also wanted to be in the Hopkins range of contract even before those deals. He is not playing on a discount.  

19 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

He's also not getting Adams or Hill money.  He's not that good....yet.  He's gotta ball this year, big time to get those dollars.  And as it stands right now, he's got a lot of nothing at QB to get him the ball.

Dude hasn't even been the #1 receiver on his own team yet.  

You might know that i might know that, but hes not signing a deal until he finds out for sure what the highest bidder is.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, R T said:

PFF reported in the end of February that the Seahawks offered a 4/84 extension, and it was turned down. That was before the Adams and Hill deals, but he also wanted to be in the Hopkins range of contract even before those deals. He is not playing on a discount.  

PFF that the site run by that Florio person?  Yah, got it.

I think it is fair to say that it is not known what he wants, and that he will want elite money.

Also...doesn't mean he is going to get it.

He needs to produce big time this year.  And he has no QB right now.  And he is the #2 option over there.

Good luck.  Seems like this guy is destined to be a Jet.  But they already have a rookie who is better than DK.

Just now, PackFan13 said:

What absurd logic. Rodgers would have been average had we not drafted Love. RIGHT. 

Numbers don't lie.

Look at his prior 2-3 years before the Love trade, then look at his numbers after the trade.

Rodgers was in that little notch below elite, I'd say top 10 for sure, maybe top 8.  But not top 3.

And he was in a decline.

Then Love gets drafted and poof, here we are two MVP's in a row.

It's either the Love pick that lit a fire under him, or....

Getting used to the MLF system, or....

A combination of both.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

You are confusing PPF with Florio's PFT. The contract numbers were also in an article in the Seattle Times a few days after the PPF reporting.   

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NFLGURU said:

I think you have to look long term here.  Not sure you want a Metcalf type guy demanding the ball from a young Jordan Love in a year or two.  Would it be wise to get a couple of young WRs that can grow under Rodgers and spend some time with Love in the following years.  

I think that Metcalf would be a long-term look. Dude is only 24. It would help Love immediately if/when he steps in to have a big, fast, reliable target to help him get his confidence up.

We would know whether or not he'd sign long before we made the trade. If Adams and Hill are worth a first and second with one year left, then he might be worth a late first if we have an extension in place. If we don't then Seattle knows his return would be less. Either way they should be looking to cash in with what they can before he walks within the next two years anyway. 

If we can clear just a little more cap space then I'm not seeing any downside to bringing him in. That said, I'd say the odds of it happening are low and we'll see him get traded to the Bears or something. 

Edited by Sandy

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I think it is fair to say that it is not known what he wants, and that he will want elite money.

Also...doesn't mean he is going to get it.

He needs to produce big time this year.  And he has no QB right now.  And he is the #2 option over there.

Where does this come from? He and Lockett both averaged exactly 120 targets/season the past three years. They're obviously 1a and 1b. Metcalf was #1 in targets in '21.    

25 minutes ago, squire12 said:

2 years prior to drafting Love, Rodgers was slightly above average.  Draft Love and 2x MVP seasons.

Connecting some dots

TBF, 2018 was "operation get Mac out" so not sure we accurately can count that. So you're more looking at 2019.