Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

10 minutes ago, R T said:

2022 Parker = 2021 Cobb. Each will have a moment or two because they are wily veterans, but neither is making a whole lot of difference when it comes to carrying the WR load. 

Cobb had a 141.6 QBR when targeted and was one of the best in the entire NFL in % of catches that converted a 1st down. He also graded as one of the best WRs in the NFL in the red zone.

Look, Cobb is old, but for his actual salary now, he's a valuable piece. 

A sub 6% drop rate is considered good, Parker has been sub 6% his entire career, yet his highest catch rate in his career is 64% and career average is 57.9% (Cobb's was 72% this year). That screams a WR who has dealt with crap QB play his entire career. 

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Cobb had a 141.6 QBR when targeted and was one of the best in the entire NFL in % of catches that converted a 1st down. He also graded as one of the best WRs in the NFL in the red zone.

Look, Cobb is old, but for his actual salary now, he's a valuable piece. 

A sub 6% drop rate is considered good, Parker has been sub 6% his entire career, yet his highest catch rate in his career is 64% and career average is 57.9% (Cobb's was 72% this year). That screams a WR who has dealt with crap QB play his entire career. 

So, it looks like you agree with what I said. Wily veterans who will have their moments when they are not out with an injury and will be efficient with some touches. 

2022 Parker = 2021 Cobb  

37 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Which is why, assuming the Packers are interested, I think you'd have to pounce and give a Day 3 pick because his contract isn't bad so it's not one of those situations where we'd have to wait for a release and then sign him to a new deal. We could handle his current deal and avoid having to fight other teams who may want him. I could Green Bay not being first on Parker's list if he got cut after spending the last 7 years living/playing in Miami, FL. 

Agreed, but all depends on Miami asking price.  Let's say.....

GB offering a 5th

Miami wanting a 3rd

A 4th seems the middle ground, but would doing so affect/ limit GB ability to move around on draft day?

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

Agreed, but all depends on Miami asking price.  Let's say.....

GB offering a 5th

Miami wanting a 3rd

A 4th seems the middle ground, but would doing so affect/ limit GB ability to move around on draft day?

I probably wouldn't give up a 4th for Parker, nor do I think Miami will get a 4. Could be wrong, but that seems high. I'd maybe be willing to get them a 5 that could turn into a 4 with certain production metrics attached to it, etc. 

Just now, packfanfb said:

I probably wouldn't give up a 4th for Parker, nor do I think Miami will get a 4. Could be wrong, but that seems high. I'd maybe be willing to get them a 5 that could turn into a 4 with certain production metrics attached to it, etc. 

Agreed, but a conditional means it's a 2023 pick which is now further devalued

23 minutes ago, R T said:

So, it looks like you agree with what I said. Wily veterans who will have their moments when they are not out with an injury and will be efficient with some touches. 

2022 Parker = 2021 Cobb  

Hard to make this comparison IMO because Parker and Cobb are vastly different types of WRs. At this point in his career, Cobb is basically playing in a box on the field wherein he's mostly operating in shorter areas and in the middle of the field. He can't play outside, he isn't getting behind the defense, etc. He's a highly efficient player within that box, but limited in the same respect. 

Parker is a perimeter WR with much better size, more athletic, and just a wider skillset than Cobb. Parker is just 2 years removed from a 72-1,202-9 year where he had perennial backup Ryan FitzMagic throwing him the football. Cobb's last season approaching those kinds of numbers was in 2014/2015.

Parker isn't going to put up Adams numbers with Rodgers (nor should he), but I think he could be a lower end No. 1 guy, high end No. 2 type of WR.  

Time will tell, but I think that is more than Miami is ever getting for Parker. Think Cobb trade, Packers give a 6th and get Cobb and the only reason it was that high was because the Packers were compensating the Texans to eat some of the contract.

How about the Packers second 4th round pick, 140th overall for Parker and Miami's 5th round pick which is 158th overall. That is 9.4 points on the value chart and is equal to a mid 6th round pick.    

50 minutes ago, R T said:

2022 Parker = 2021 Cobb. Each will have a moment or two because they are wily veterans, but neither is making a whole lot of difference when it comes to carrying the WR load. 

I agree with the spirit of this post, RT. 

I do note the value of anti-awful, though?  If your next-man-up is Malik, then having an average player instead might actually make a whole lot of difference, compared to possibly kinda awful? 

I'd love to hope that we've got a next-man-up already on the roster who'll actually be as good as Parker and better than Cobb.  I'd love to see Winfree jump through this window of opportunity and emerge as a capable NFL wideout, for example, and prove better than Parker or MVS or Juju or AJ Green or whomever, without any cost.  

• Like 1

Yeah, Cobb has always been a highly underrated piece to every offense he’s played on.

Dude is still one of my favorites. He was never as great as I originally hoped he would be, but he absolutely will be a huge piece for us, and highly important for Aaron and helping all the new additions catch up.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Outpost31 said:

Yeah, Cobb has always been a highly underrated piece to every offense he’s played on. Dude is still one of my favorites. He was never as great as I originally hoped he would be, but he absolutely will be a huge piece for us, and highly important for Aaron and helping all the new additions catch up.

Something I've *always* appreciated about Cobb was both the way he caught the ball (pure hands catcher.....kinda like Pickens I might add..........but I digress...) and fearless. He's come thru for AR and the Packers in many a clutch situation. Only drawback to his career is his inability to stay healthy.

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Um Parker is pretty good? Fits perfect with what we're building with the good but not great WR group that adds balance and drives our offense to flow through a system more than a star. The guy has never gone sub 70 in PFF grade since entering the league. 

Agree with some of this.  He'd be brought in to compete.

I think some of you folks are 'putting lipstick on a pig' here.  IF Parker was of any value, why did Miami just effin' BURY him?  Jeudy, trading for Hill. there is a reason they did that.  But, true to forum form...other teams garbage is waaaay better than our garbage.

I don't care either way because if Parker is playing significant snaps for us...we failed to recreate a WR room capable of carrying us to the SB.  I'd still rather see Julio in an incentive laden deal with two draft picks.

Edited by Dubz41

53 minutes ago, Dubz41 said:

Agree with some of this.  He'd be brought in to compete.

I think some of you folks are 'putting lipstick on a pig' here.  IF Parker was of any value, why did Miami just effin' BURY him?  Jeudy, trading for Hill. there is a reason they did that.  But, true to forum form...other teams garbage is waaaay better than our garbage.

I don't care either way because if Parker is playing significant snaps for us...we failed to recreate a WR room capable of carrying us to the SB.  I'd still rather see Julio in an incentive laden deal with two draft picks.

If you bring him in at his current cap number, he's gonna play.

He may be "garbage" to them, but he did produce a 1200 yard season (I think) with Fitzmagic.

He has a very high RAS score and he has prototypical size.  He'd instantly upgrade our WR room just in terms of ability and what he's done in the NFL.  Outside of Cobb, no one else in the room has a 1,000 yard season under their belts.

No reason to think he and a drafted rookie wouldn't round out that room nicely.

• Like 1