Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I just don't think the Packers are as desperate for WRs as fans are.  The Packers have explored adding one, yet haven't which suggests they don't feel a ton of pressure to add to the WR room.  There's probably another veteran plus a late Day 1, early Day 2 pick plus another Day 3 pick to add to the room before it's "complete" for the 2022 season.  I think in an ideal situation, you get an EDGE (like George Karlaftis) fall to 22, and then you move 28 plus one of their SRPs to Seattle/NY Jets for a pair of SRPs.  You could then grab Pickens with that first SRP, and then that second SRP could be used or moved down to get more assets.  You could walk out of the first two rounds with George Karlaftis, George Pickens, Jalen Pitre, and Tyler Smith.  That'd be a near ideal draft for me.

This.

I would beat but surprised to see us spend a round 1 pick on a WR.

28 minutes ago, AlexGreen#20 said:

This.

I would beat but surprised to see us spend a round 1 pick on a WR.

I wouldn't be shocked either way on WRs.  I do foresee a huge rant by some guy on NFLN or ESPN about how we are blowing the draft, after the first night, if we don't take a WR though.  It won't matter if we select a late declaring Jesus Christ, if he doesn't have "WR" next to his name.  

I also find it incredibly lazy when mock drafts just put their highest ranked WR not taken at the Packers slot.  Especially when there are Watson and Pierce that are right up Green Bay's alley just probably not in the 20s.  

• Like 2

3 hours ago, CWood21 said:

I just don't think the Packers are as desperate for WRs as fans are.  The Packers have explored adding one, yet haven't which suggests they don't feel a ton of pressure to add to the WR room.  There's probably another veteran plus a late Day 1, early Day 2 pick plus another Day 3 pick to add to the room before it's "complete" for the 2022 season.  I think in an ideal situation, you get an EDGE (like George Karlaftis) fall to 22, and then you move 28 plus one of their SRPs to Seattle/NY Jets for a pair of SRPs.  You could then grab Pickens with that first SRP, and then that second SRP could be used or moved down to get more assets.  You could walk out of the first two rounds with George Karlaftis, George Pickens, Jalen Pitre, and Tyler Smith.  That'd be a near ideal draft for me.

Eh, maybe not to the level fans are concerned, but I think Murphy's, Gutey, and MLFs comments show WR/ pass catcher is a clear priority. Especially when they know Rodgers won't be happy. I see a vet and two WRs and maybe a TE taken somewhat early. 

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

Eh, maybe not to the level fans are concerned, but I think Murphy's, Gutey, and MLFs comments show WR/ pass catcher is a clear priority. Especially when they know Rodgers won't be happy. I see a vet and two WRs and maybe a TE taken somewhat early. 

No way to run an organization if you have to worry about your QB's feelings while doing your job. Sadly though, you are correct which is why it was a mistake to cater to him and not trade him. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

I feel like "Don't worry about it, we've got until September" is hardly the kind of comments that show they're freaking about WR. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

As opposed to them saying what? You're buying into coach talk.

Yes, everything they say is coach talk. 

Thus saying things like, "the comments they're making in the press lead me to believe they are desperate for a WR" is kind of nonsense. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

No way to run an organization if you have to worry about your QB's feelings while doing your job. Sadly though, you are correct which is why it was a mistake to cater to him and not trade him. 

These dumb takes are never ending. You need to give the guy weapons and to act like that's catering to him is hilarious. That's for the benefit of the Packers

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, PackFan13 said:

These dumb takes are never ending. You need to give the guy weapons and to act like that's catering to him is hilarious. That's for the benefit of the Packers

What is dumb is not reading what was being responded to and then distorting the context of it. 

I think there is some level of hyperbole and extreme; and that Gute is subject to neither.  One extreme is "don't worry about it"; can go with wideouts as Malik, 3rd-day-pick, and some post-draft veteran cut, nobody will notice the difference, WR is an insignificant position that doesn't matter.  The other extreme is "desperate".  

It's a team game, and they usually play two WR, sometimes three.  No, they aren't as important as QB or edge or OT.  But they have roles within offense, and they do matter.  I don't think it's being weirdo WR-obsessed to figure it's more probable than not that Gute will use one of his first four picks on a WR?  Or does that expectation make me some naive stupid simpleton who understands nothing about football?