Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Just to tie back in the Bakh discussion..

The salary cap is projected to raise approx. $25m in each of the next three offseasons.

This is why guys like Daniel Jones are getting ridiculous contracts.

It's why Lamar is pushing for a huge fully guaranteed deal.

It's why whoever trades for Rodgers doesn't give a **** about his 2025 dead cap hit.

And it's why we can push $12m of Bakh's cap hit to spread out over the next five seasons and it won't matter.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sandy said:

The salary cap is projected to raise approx. $25m in each of the next three offseasons.

It's why whoever trades for Rodgers doesn't give a **** about his 2025 dead cap hit.

And it's why we can push $12m of Bakh's cap hit to spread out over the next five seasons and it won't matter.

See I think it's SUPER funny that we're in salary hell if it's our roster. Other rosters are fine for the same exact reasons ours stinks.

4 hours ago, vegas492 said:

They certainly know who the blue chip players are and watch them closely.  If someone "pops" for a year and isn't on the radar at all, that is outlier.  Because these kids are being watched years in advance.  

Jordan Love went to Utah State not Alabama.  He wasn't a can't miss recruit.   He didn't pop to scouts until his 3rd year.   He was a 1st year red shirt.

They don't know who is going to turn out unless you are talking a major recruit such as Lawrence or Fields.  And Fields isn't exactly burning things up yet.

While they may be looking at everyone years in advance, they don't make a pick 3 years in advance based on the overall quality of players coming out.  They can't know. 

We'll just have to disagree on this I guess.

44 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

See I think it's SUPER funny that we're in salary hell if it's our roster. Other rosters are fine for the same exact reasons ours stinks.

Oh I agree fully. I've been saying our salary cap situation is great. And it really is so long as we eat Rodgers' dead hit this season. 

Even next year if he DOES come back, we simply file his 2024 retirement post-June 1st (the option bonuses make this easy cap-wise) and it's really not a big deal.

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Still have to see the guys do it at that next level though. Like 1/3rd of 5 stars go on to be great at the collegiate level. I'm not saying they don't have these guys in the periphery, and Joe Burrow certainly didn't just appear overnight, but the guys still have to show you.

So I think they saw what they needed to see in Love in the timeframe they needed, were comfortable, and had a chance at the pick. Even though there may be other guys that some of the scouts like more on the horizon you never know if you'll have a bit at the apple, or if the apple goes rotten. Circumstances are circumstantial. 

not to quote you specifically, just to continue conversation.

Yes, but talent is talent.  The scouts will know which drafts have more talent at certain positions than others, years in advance.  Again, the argument against this is simple.  Guys coming out early.

But let's equate this to GB....

They knew they were going to need a Rodgers replacement sooner or later.  They knew they were going to be a highly competitive team with Rodgers, typically picking later in the rounds.

I'm sure they identified better QB classes and determined which of these guys would be "worth it".  Guessing that draft classes with higher QB talent were identified.  And verified by collegiate play.

Why do this?  Because they would rarely be near that talent enough to draft them...without giving up considerable assets.

Love happened to meet that criteria.  

I could be reaching at straws here....clearly....but when you look at the QB's who have come out afterwards then look at where they went in relation to GB's pick, well then the case starts to be made.

My only reservation about this thought process is this...mental gymnastics.  Could very well be I/we are trying to justify the Love pick.   

52 minutes ago, Sandy said:

It goes up for everyone.  So eating more of Bakh's money, whatever that is, in those years, does affect cap space.  

I'd prefer to pay as we go and then simply be done with him and his services.  Clean break.  Better cap situation.

But this is in regards to just Bakh.  

3 minutes ago, hitnhope said:

Jordan Love went to Utah State not Alabama.  He wasn't a can't miss recruit.   He didn't pop to scouts until his 3rd year.   He was a 1st year red shirt.

They don't know who is going to turn out unless you are talking a major recruit such as Lawrence or Fields.  And Fields isn't exactly burning things up yet.

While they may be looking at everyone years in advance, they don't make a pick 3 years in advance based on the overall quality of players coming out.  They can't know. 

We'll just have to disagree on this I guess.

Man, I TOTALLY get what you are driving at.  And?  Yeah, that could be the case here.

Also...I'll bet GB and the NFL knew who Love was well prior to his "breakout" year in college.  And I'll bet that we knew that was a good QB class and that if someone with perceived talent fell, they should grab them because the classes after them were not viewed in the same light at the QB position.

And...given where GB typically picks, they knew that they weren't going to get a full pedigree QB like Lawrence.  So when talent fell to the pick, they pounced, even though it was a year too early.  

Didn't have to trade up...just took the guy that was there.

My only argument against that line of thought is mental gymnastics, as I posed earlier.  You gotta do a lot of it to get to the conclusion.  But with all those scouts and all these QB camps, yeah, they have a good handle on talent early on.

1 minute ago, vegas492 said:

It goes up for everyone.  So eating more of Bakh's money, whatever that is, in those years, does affect cap space.  

I'd prefer to pay as we go and then simply be done with him and his services.  Clean break.  Better cap situation.

But this is in regards to just Bakh.  

That might be impossible this offseason though. After the Rodgers trade we'll be down to about $8m in cap space, and have very limited resources to clear more.

Bakh is the last big card we have to play. $3m in added dead cap for each of the next four seasons is not a big deal when the cap will be over $300m in 2026.

For me, restructuring Bakh is a no-brainer.