Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

6 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Does anyone feel like GB would not be in essentially this exact same situation had GB not drafted Love?  I am pretty sure the Rodgers leaving GB timeline was pretty firmly set during the last couple years of the McCarthy era.

Had there been no COVID, which was a lost year for Love, he would have been moved last year, before the new contract. 

18 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Does anyone feel like GB would not be in essentially this exact same situation had GB not drafted Love?  I am pretty sure the Rodgers leaving GB timeline was pretty firmly set during the last couple years of the McCarthy era.

Not really.  

No Love means no backup QB option in moving Rodgers. 

No Love pick... does Rodgers have motivation for returning to fundamentals and the return to elite for MVP seasons?

Does the player picked instead of Love make a noteworthy impact on 2020/2021?

6 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Not really.  

No Love means no backup QB option in moving Rodgers. 

No Love pick... does Rodgers have motivation for returning to fundamentals and the return to elite for MVP seasons?

Does the player picked instead of Love make a noteworthy impact on 2020/2021?

I more or less just mean that the Rodgers situation in GB would be reaching critical mass about now regardless of whether GB picked Love.

7 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I more or less just mean that the Rodgers situation in GB would be reaching critical mass about now regardless of whether GB picked Love.

Hard to say.  The current contract is probably not done as the Love pick and corresponding dominoes alter that.  

Rodgers not ( as) salty.  Performance variance. Etc, etc. 

The dilemma is more about a contract extension or seeking the QBOTF in the draft

Edited by squire12

3 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

What were the terms of his last contract?  He has said that he wanted to play to 40, in the past.  So we are looking at probably 2-3 more seasons tops.  I think that the original contract was up in 2024, the same time as Jordan Love, but I could be mistaken.

Let's say that they didn't draft Jordan Love, and instead drafted me, and I no-showed.  So there is no "insert player X" to change anything.  In 2021, we miss out on all of the top qb prospects, but could pass on Myers for Kyle Trask, Kellen Mond, or Davis Mills.  In 2022, we had a few more QBs fall in our range, but I would argue that 2021 QB class was miles better than 2022.  We could have had Matt Corral instead of Sean Rhyan, Bailey Zappe instead of Romeo Doubs, or Sam Howell instead of Zach Tom.  Much like the WR exercise that I did yesterday, I just don't think that value of these QBs really matches up with the players we got, or is just a push.  

So, we would be in a similar situation of Rodgers nearing the end, but in that case, the cupboard is bare.  I will probably always hold the belief that selecting Love was a year or two premature.  We probably could get some better return on some player through his first 3 seasons, and milk Rodgers until maybe 2025.  BUT look at these other options that were available and tell me that you would rather have any of them than Jordan Love.  

In 2023, looking at mock drafts, and running a couple of the mock simulators myself, it looks like we will miss out on the top QB prospects, again.   Although, in one of the simulators I did get Bryce Young at 15, in that same draft, the Seahawks also offered me basically their entire 2024 draft for pick 15, so I think I can throw that one out.  

14 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Keep everything else the same, just no Jordan Love, and I think you have a content Rodgers.  At the same time, he has a rather unique set of personality traits, so I think that unless we were 100% Aaron Rodgers, then just hit the big reset button and start over when he retires, things would be a little prickly. 

I also wonder if part of Rodgers' rift with Gute didn't start a lot earlier.  Remember, this is the second time that they used a pretty major resource to get a QB since Gute took over.  They traded for Deshone Kizer in Gute's first season as GM.  This was facilitated by the exodus of some GB staff to Cleveland, who knew that Gute really liked Kizer.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

Pay it no mind, Pats a Colts guy. Theyre completely rudderless. And Pittsburghs in nowhere land. His own team building philosophy is short sighted. The packers fan he has daily contact with is an absolute Rodgers stan. 

Still a good show that tries to cover the whole of the NFL. But our #1 story just walked out the door. There will be plenty of Packers storylines for him to talk about as Love gets his season underway. Gonna be a boring offseason for the Pack, first one in years.

6 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

Pay it no mind, Pats a Colts guy. Theyre completely rudderless. And Pittsburghs in nowhere land. His own team building philosophy is short sighted. The packers fan he has daily contact with is an absolute Rodgers stan. 

Still a good show that tries to cover the whole of the NFL. But our #1 story just walked out the door. There will be plenty of Packers storylines for him to talk about as Love gets his season underway. Gonna be a boring offseason for the Pack, first one in years.

That’s because he is and will always view this thru a players eyes and mindset.

He doesn’t care about Jordan, until Jordan is new worth to care about. He cares about his buddy and he wanted GB to ride the team and future into the ground chasing a Super Bowl.

27 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

He does his podcast from Pittsburgh? Didnt know.