Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

6 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

If we get conditional picks (for 2024), I hope they are tied more to the Jets' success for that season, not Rodgers' willingness to keep playing beyond that point. 

As for the second part......I want to be done caring whether AR's gonna play or not. I've had my fill of that act.
I want that to be a concern (only) of the team he's sent to.

Edited by Leader

4 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Not sure how keen Gute would be on getting 2025 pick(s) for Rodgers. The NFL is a year-to-year business in terms of job security, even for a recently extended GM. If things went extremely south and Love bombed for example, there would be a chance (as remote as it may be) that Gute isn't even here in 2025. GM's typically aren't excited about obtaining draft picks for drafts they aren't here for. While I'm sure Gute has more confidence in this future than that, I'd be pretty surprised to see any 2025 picks as part of the trade. 

If we get conditional picks (for 2024), I hope they are tied more to the Jets' success for that season, not Rodgers' willingness to keep playing beyond that point. 

I agree with this. If I'm the Jets and Packers, I try to restructure Aaron's deal to force him into a decision prior to the 2024 draft such that if he's on the Jets roster at that point, the conditional pick is a 2024 first. 

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Below is Peter King's solution to this fiasco.  I don't want to wait until 2025 to get a 1st round pick ..that's too far out.  I would need a little more up front if they are pushing that 1st out a couple years. 

"The fairest deal: Jets trade a second-rounder this year (43rd overall) and a conditional pick in 2025, not 2024, based on whether Rodgers plays football for New York in 2024. If he plays 100 snaps or more in 2024, the Jets give Green Bay a first-round pick.

If Rodgers plays less than that, the Jets give Green Bay a third-rounder. So if Rodgers plays two years for New York, the price is a first- and a second-; if he plays one year, the price is a second- and a third-. I totally see Green Bay's point about playing hardball for Rodgers, but the 13th pick in the draft for a guy who might play one year? I don't see it. Unless Rodgers flat-out guarantees the Jets he's there for two years, minimum, I'm not considering paying the 2023 one for him."

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/10069452-peter-king-outlines-fairest-deal-for-aaron-rodgers-trade-to-jets-from-packers

Add Elijah Moore or Jermaine Johnson to this and I'm 100% on board with this scenario. 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Leader said:

Had to stop you there.

With the level of success this team/organization has put together, Gute's gonna get canned if Love doesnt show immediate returns? 

Not. Happening.

Now....let me read the rest of your comment :)

I don't think it's likely by any means. Another factor could be whether Gute's future is tied in any way to Murphy who is set to retire in July 2025 I believe. I don't think that would impact Gute for 2025, but who knows for 2026 and beyond. 

5 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I don't think it's likely by any means. Another factor could be whether Gute's future is tied in any way to Murphy who is set to retire in July 2025 I believe. I don't think that would impact Gute for 2025, but who knows for 2026 and beyond. 

Gute not perfect and I'm not some "fan" who cant accept critical thought applied to his efforts - but he's far from being on the hot seat IMO.

13 minutes ago, Leader said:

If it was up to you, Gute would already be sweeping streets.

Out of the job is much different than sweeping streets. He's got the longest leash in the NFL with no owner at the helm. I underestimated how long a leash he may get after realizing TT was at the helm for 13 ish years. Drafting multiple HOFs was a big part of that.

Gutes draft results are really underwhelming but he's made some good moves in the past. 

I hope he sticks to TT's second round WR and learns from his mistakes. I hope Love turns out great but if he isn't good why the hell would we want to keep him around? 

Edited by PackFan13

3 minutes ago, Leader said:

Geeee.....AR never invited them now did he?

Rodgers discussed how early on in his career how his habits changed because of Favre. One of those was doing interviews in the locker room. Meaning he saw stuff Favre did and didn’t like the opposite.

This might be one thing Love does early in his career. During his off-season workouts he gets the WRs and RBs to come out.