Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

22 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I think a large part of this is that the Packers recognize that if you look at the best pass rushers in the NFL you get like Garrett, Parsons, Watt, Bosa, Bosa, Mack, Burns, Gary etc. all of whom are 1st round picks except if Maxx Crosby gets in there.  If you look at the best CBs in the NFL you get like Garner, Ramsey, Gilmore, Jaire, Surtain, etc.   If you look at the best DTs in the NFL you get like Donald, Simmons, Williams, Lawrence, Heyward, Allen, Buckner, Clark, Wilkins, Vea, etc. all of whom are 1st round picks and Chris Jones was a high second.

But if you start looking for the best WRs, you get Adams, Hill, Diggs, Brown, Kupp, Deebo, Lockett none of whom were first rounders.  You look for the best TEs you get Kelce, Andrews, Kittle, Goedert, Freiermuth, Schultz, Knox, etc. who weren't FRPs.  If you look at the best RBs you get like Chubb, Taylor, Henry, Ekler, Jones, Mixon, Hall, etc. who weren't FRPs.  If you look at the best centers you get like Linsley, Humphrey, Kelce, Jones, Hudson, Jenson, etc. who weren't FRPs.  If you look at the best Guards you get like Bitonio, Onwenu, Thuney, Teller, Jenkins, Mason, etc.

Which is not to say that Jamar Chase, Kyle Pitts, Saquon Barkley, Quenton Nelson, etc. aren't really good football players most teams would be glad to have, but the NFL as a whole finds really good offensive players (not quarterbacks) outside of the first round all the time, but the same is much less true about defense.  There are way more 4th round WRs who are really good NFL players than 4th round pass rushers.

Our recent premium picks agree with this theory:

(13) Lukas Van Ness

(22) Quay Walker

(28) Devonte Wyatt

(34) Christian Watson

(42) Luke Musgrave

(50) Jayden Reed

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Scoremore said:

They really mismanaged him.  Had that hammy and hurried him back shredded the damn thing.  He was never the same after that.  Once the kid lost his speed it was over.  Really nice kid and family.  Packers did him a solid and paid him 7 mil/yr in his last season.  No one else would have.  

Pretty sure his shoulder needed surgery his rookie year coming out of college and he put the thing in a brace and started, took care of it in the offseason.

Nothing but respect for Kevin King, he gets **** on way too much because Pettine was a dunce and got fired for a single play in which he failed him. King was a gritty, tough dude, and an absolute freak of an athlete coming out of Washington.

• Like 5

First tryout guy inked, was #27. Ironically the only tryout guy I don't have Pro Day data for. Know he was a part of the Louisiana colleges pro day (they did one for all the smaller school guys of the state) and anyone who athletically tested well enough was then asked to do the field workout, and he was one of those guys. Good for him.

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, PossibleCabbage said:

I mean, the "demolition" part of a rebuild would already have been accounted for, so from here on out it's just about building.

I missed the demolition part of it, unless not re-signing a bunch of washed-up has-beens is viewed as a demolition. 

Is it really any different than any other year except for the change at QB. Probably be 2 different starters on defense and 2 different starters on offense with about the same amount of roster turnover from any other year. The regular annual retooling only this year with a whole bunch of hoopla about a change at QB. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, packfanfb said:

Seconded.

God Bless Nixon. I realize it’s a transition year but Andy needs to shut up with this stuff, play to win.

Also, calling dudes who are like twice the size of you “kids” because you’re like 10 years older is stupid. they could kick the **** out of him lol

1 hour ago, Arthur Penske said:

God Bless Nixon. I realize it’s a transition year but Andy needs to shut up with this stuff, play to win.

Also, calling dudes who are like twice the size of you “kids” because you’re like 10 years older is stupid. they could kick the **** out of him lol

What is wrong with what he said? Is it that Packers players might see it and get upset? Nagler is just saying the same thing 95% of fans on here are saying lol

2 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Not a massive fan of Herman ...   he blocked me  for pointing out his video on 'why a Love for Mayfield trade makes sense for both teams' was clickbait rubbish.   

But what he is saying generally makes sense - the players 100% should be going all-out for a title.  But from a GM perspective, there is a set amount of resource and salary cap fiddling allows you to choose which year to put it in.  Its a young team with a young QB who will go through growing pains. From a GM perspective, it does make sense to prioritise 2024 over 2023 in terms of signing vets and so on.

Re Mercedes. If we could get him for absolute vet min then great would do that. Otherwise we should be moving on.

He may have actually been part of the problem anyway in the last year or so. If he was in the line-up, we are probably running. 

6 hours ago, Lodestar said:

What is wrong with what he said? Is it that Packers players might see it and get upset? Nagler is just saying the same thing 95% of fans on here are saying lol

5 hours ago, mikemike778 said:

Not a massive fan of Herman ...   he blocked me  for pointing out his video on 'why a Love for Mayfield trade makes sense for both teams' was clickbait rubbish.   

But what he is saying generally makes sense - the players 100% should be going all-out for a title.  But from a GM perspective, there is a set amount of resource and salary cap fiddling allows you to choose which year to put it in.  Its a young team with a young QB who will go through growing pains. From a GM perspective, it does make sense to prioritise 2024 over 2023 in terms of signing vets and so on.

Re Mercedes. If we could get him for absolute vet min then great would do that. Otherwise we should be moving on.

He may have actually been part of the problem anyway in the last year or so. If he was in the line-up, we are probably running. 

I think what is annoying people is how he words it, indicating that 2023 "dosen't matter" or a throw a way season . It's  a reload season for sure (Not a full rebuild), but you sure want to treat 2023 as a season that matters from the players all the way up to the GM. Being ok with losing or whatever some people are implying can lead to a losing culture going forward.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Arthur Penske said:

Big difference between a fan saying it isnt about 2023 and a player. 

2010-2022 was Super Bowl or bust, for the first time in awhile, this year isn't. It's a trim the fat year and get cap healthy. Call it a rebuild, call it retooling, doesn't really matter. It's about seeing what we have in Jordan Love and seeing what we need next offseason to be back into a title window.

29 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

2010-2022 was Super Bowl or bust, for the first time in awhile, this year isn't. It's a trim the fat year and get cap healthy. Call it a rebuild, call it retooling, doesn't really matter. It's about seeing what we have in Jordan Love and seeing what we need next offseason to be back into a title window.

You are right, of course, but one does see how young competitors need to fight for, battle for, and demand respect for their chance at being competitive.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Wonder if the Chiefs thought they were 'retooling' with Patrick Mahomes his first year as a starter?
Wonder if the Bengals did with Burrow?

Our guy has had three years to learn. It is not unreasonable to assume he's going to play far better than a 1st year rookie quarterback. He's probably got a better roster than most first year quarterbacks who start because those teams tend to be drafting in the top 10. 

I understand the 'getting the cap right!" The counterpoint to that is our roster is not bereft of talent like many of those young quarterbacks walk into. I believe in Jordan Love and will until he proves he's unworthy of that faith. 

Winning the North is not out of the question. 

• Like 4