Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

4 hours ago, Refugee said:

Etling gets his Happy Birthday card. Definitely a vote of confidence in Clifford. Guy was an athlete and seemed to be able to run an offense. How long til he goes to an NFCN rival?

If the Bears grab him he might be a starter at some point this year. 

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Green19 said:

Anyone see that Blake Martinez is being investigated for his Pokémon card business. Apparently he stole from buyer because he was switching out cards or something.

Fun stuff…

That's what they do.  Free appaisal then steal all the valuable stuff and replace with junk.  Then tell you sorry your cards are worthless.  Happened to me with my baseball cards.  

21 hours ago, Leader said:

Local revenue (essentially stadium revenue) was $60M in 2002 before the renovation was complete. This past season it reached $236M - MORE THAN THE SALARY CAP. That's before TV money which was $375M per year per team last season. Helluva starting point to essentially have annual player salaries covered before even tapping into the even bigger annual revenue source.

Local revenue is so important because it is unshared with the rest of the league. The massive boost the Packers have received from renovations, business expansion, real estate acquisitions is what has them ranked 10th in annual total team revenue. Ahead of each team in their division - Chicago: 13th, Minnesota 20th, and Detroit: 32nd. Without the stadium expansion secured via that narrow vote in 2000, the Packers would almost assuredly be 32nd in total revenue.

God Bless Bob Harlan.

Edited by Mr Anonymous
  • Like 7

1 hour ago, Mr Anonymous said:

Local revenue (essentially stadium revenue) was $60M in 2002 before the renovation was complete. This past season it reached $236M - MORE THAN THE SALARY CAP. That's before TV money which was $375M per year per team last season. Helluva starting point to essentially have annual player salaries covered before even tapping into the even bigger annual revenue source.

Local revenue is so important because it is unshared with the rest of the league. The massive boost the Packers have received from renovations, business expansion, real estate acquisitions is what has them ranked 10th in annual total team revenue. Ahead of each team in their division - Chicago: 13th, Minnesota 20th, and Detroit: 32nd. Without the stadium expansion secured via that narrow vote in 2000, the Packers would almost assuredly be 32nd in total revenue.

God Bless Bob Harlan.

Yup...great job.  Its so much easier to root for a team that is putting their own money back into the team and their facilities like the Packers do.  Murphy deserves a lot of credit for this also. I know quite a bit of this money came from the shareholders, but at least for most of the taxpayers from Wisconsin except Brown County, they self fund. 

Fans of other teams make fun of the worthless stock I've purchased, but at least I can say that the Packers and their fans put their money where their mouth is.  When the Packers do come to the taxpayers of Wisconsin for help, its usually to ask for far less than what other teams have asked for. When the stadium expansion vote occurred in 2000, Harlan was not even sure it was going to pass. Luckily it did and the taxpayers of Brown County have been fully paid back.

Edited by minnypackerfan
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I'm not seeing many surprises, but worth posting.

Don't most DC's coach from the press box? I think it's a good move, assuming Barry can actually tell what an offense is trying to do to his defense. That is a much better overview.

37 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Don't most DC's coach from the press box? I think it's a good move, assuming Barry can actually tell what an offense is trying to do to his defense. That is a much better overview.

So this forum, prior to endless debate surrounding Rodgers departure, would constantly debate whether Pettine/Capers should be on the field so they could coach/motivate players directly or whether they should be up in the box so they could see the X's and O's from a better viewpoint.

If you thought the Rodgers debate was insufferable, you should have been around for the mid 2010s DC viewpoint discussion. It was a civil war that threatened to tear the forum in two.

• Like 2