Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 minutes ago, Brat&Beer said:

Bakhtiari gas a $40M cap hit in 2024. 4 possibilities:

They bring him back with 40M cap hit. Really unlikely. 

They trade him or cut him and save 20M of cap space. Most likely.

They get him to take big pay cut on base salary. Fairly unlikely.

They restructure his contract to lower salary cap hit in 2024 and push more money into future years. Likeliness depends on how they feel about the knee.

I could be wrong about this, but I do believe Bak refused to do this in the off season for the Packers. I think he was hoping to be released so he could go to NY. 

27 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I sure hope you are correct about Nijman being starter level qualify at T. I see as a middling starter best case scenario. I want better than that long-term for Love. 

I am pulling for Sean Rhyan, who I fear we only see as a guard. 

Wasn't that kind of the thought/plan from the beginning though? In regards to Rhyan

Edited by smetana34

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

I could be wrong about this, but I do believe Bak refused to do this in the off season for the Packers. I think he was hoping to be released so he could go to NY. 

I think you are right .. the Packers wanted to do more restructuring with that contract, but Bak balked.  The Packers then did the things they could do that didn't require his permission.  Things seemed a bit icy at that point in time, but it seems things have thawed a bit since then.  

• Like 1

On 8/11/2023 at 10:23 PM, {Family Ghost} said:

I think you are right .. the Packers wanted to do more restructuring with that contract, but Bak balked.  The Packers then did the things they could do that didn't require his permission.  Things seemed a bit icy at that point in time, but it seems things have thawed a bit since then.  

There are certain limitations in possible extensions when you add void years to a contract. If you ask a player to add void years it is quite normal for the player to ask something in return, like 1-2M in new money. The Packers were probably not willing to do that, so it's quite normal for a top tier LT to not agree to do it for free. Bakhtiari seems to be a guy who understands quite well the business side of the game, so I wouldn't be surprised that there's nothing else to it.

Some encouraging comments from Dougherty/Baranczyk

The early read on the Packers’ second-round picks, Luke Musgrave and Jayden Reed, is that both are ready to play a lot as rookies.

Musgrave, the No. 42 pick overall, showed Friday night that besides being big and fast, he has the makings of a decent blocker at tight end, which was not part of his draft resume coming out of Oregon State. Reed, the No. 50 pick, did enough in his 13 snaps to suggest he might be a little more dynamic than another former Packers second-rounder he has more than a passing resemblance to, Randall Cobb.

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Some encouraging comments from Dougherty/Baranczyk

The Cobb comparison is pretty lofty. Let's hope he lives up to it because that would be amazing. 

The skilled positions have the makings of the old SI Cover with Rodgers and his receivers. A bit premature, but the ability is there if they can put it together. 

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

The Cobb comparison is pretty lofty. Let's hope he lives up to it because that would be amazing. 

The skilled positions have the makings of the old SI Cover with Rodgers and his receivers. A bit premature, but the ability is there if they can put it together. 

Cobb was a more savvy player than I think Reed will be but Reed has the potential to be more dynamic and has a bit more dawg in him. Since the draft I've said the guy reminds me of Steve Smith, not just in terms of stature, but more so attitude. We need that kind of guy to couple with our more even-keeled, reserved types like Watson and Doubs.

Edited by packfanfb

1 minute ago, packfanfb said:

Cobb was a more savvy player than I think Reed will be but Reed has the potential to be more dynamic and has a bit more dawg in him. Since the draft I've said the guy reminds me of Steve Smith, not just in terms of stature, but more so attitude. We need that kind of guy to couple with our more even-keeled, reserved types like Watson and Doubs.

Steve Smith is one my all time favorites .. smaller guy with a chip on his shoulder.  He's nearly hall of fame level.  I'm not sure anyone has his level of dog in him.