Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, Mdpackfan22 said:

At what price point does Gary's contract turn into a negative asset?

Really good question. Especially when you factor in the likely return.

Market value = net zero value if he performs at his pay slot. So it's a combination of contract and play (of course). 

There's also value for getting the production regardless of price due to scarcity. But you're right to ask the question and anyone who dismisses it doesn't understand the underlying value question.

I attempted to put together something to answer this question, but it's involved and a lot of work.

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think it would kill team morale if they traded Gary.  He's a guy that's done it right and grown to become a potential great one.  I'm not sure he's got the numbers to get a top of the line contract, but he's probably gonna get something close to that upper tier.  

At the end of the day, everyone understands it's a business. If they traded Gary somewhere he was happy to be, nobody would care. Beyond being slightly bummed they lost a really good player/teammate. 

However, these situations where a guy is well liked, works hard, produces and is a great talent never result in trades because there's no motivation for GB to do anything but extend him. Unless a team takes the initiative and blows GB away with an offer.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, incognito_man said:

Really good question. Especially when you factor in the likely return.

Market value = net zero value if he performs at his pay slot. So it's a combination of contract and play (of course). 

There's also value for getting the production regardless of price due to scarcity. But you're right to ask the question and anyone who dismisses it doesn't understand the underlying value question.

I attempted to put together something to answer this question, but it's involved and a lot of work.

Yup I'm not advocating trading Gary but if he demands more than Watt(30m+), I'd rather have 2 1sts and 30m to spend in FA then Gary

2 hours ago, VonKarman said:

Gary is getting more than TJ Watt money. Probably something like 4Y/120M.

Agreed, with the cap projections and the fact he is one of the bright spots of all the first round capital spent on the defense... We are not trading or letting him walk. 

On 10/5/2023 at 7:07 AM, Uffdaswede said:

Rorschach would like to raise a point of clarification. 

I'm no art expert but I find it extremely odd that a guy whose paintings all focus around the themes of latent homosexuality and my father abandoning me became so popular. 

• Like 3

It's projection or emoting. It helps people who have difficulty communicating.  A useful tool because things get lost during communicating for whatever reason. He played the same role in the Walter Mathieu Bad News Bears.