Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

15 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

He's a reliable chains mover and red zone guy at this point. I'd keep him over Cobb, but he really needs to take a pay cut too.

We need a "step up or step in" at the WR position. Although I dont think Nelson's ready to be dead and buried - I dont want to lose Cobb's youth. He yanks down his fair share of TD's as well. 

Has Allison "topped out?"

Is Davis gonna prove his WR worth?

Is Michael Clark gonna give us something?

Is Yancy or some PS guy gonna do the trick?

Where's it gonna come from cause sure as the sun rises in the East - somebody in this WR groups gonna have some down time - so we need production from our depth.

7 minutes ago, Shanedorf said:

That's an escalator I'd love to ride someday

It will bump his base salary from $705,000 in 2018 to the amount of the lowest restricted free agent tender – likely just under $2 million.

Seriously. I wonder if it was stat or longevity based.

If we let Clay, Cobb and/or Jordy walk do you think any FA we sign to replace them with is gonna save us cap money?  If they don't they better damn well be better than the guys we let go.  Often FAs are let go because they are long in the tooth and/or are salary cap casualties.  These FAs some of you want to replace our veterans with aren't gonna sign at a discount.

On ‎1‎/‎15‎/‎2018 at 3:00 PM, JBURGE25 said:

What if Quenton Nelson made it to 14... Do we take him? Assuming we've already signed Norwell and given up our 2nd for him. Would solidify the inside of our OL for years

I would!  Nobody else will, we don't take G's that high.  I think he's going to be special.  He would be a draft to starter player.

On ‎1‎/‎14‎/‎2018 at 7:13 PM, craig said:

This is why the Bush/Janis analogy isn't that strong.  Bush wasn't a an excellent corner, but he was a legit roster guy as a corner, and was often used from scrimmage in nickel and dime.  As good or better in secondary than Goodson or Donatello Brown, Hawkins or Rollins.  

Don't think MM sees Janis that way.  

Agree 100%.

39 minutes ago, HorizontoZenith said:

I'll tell you it's humor once you find five special teams players (non K/P) better than Janis in the entire NFL.

Are you talking gunners or something specific?  All-around special teams players?  Pretty hard to prove any way you slice it.  Janis hasn't been voted to any pro bowl or all pro teams the last few years, so I take it he's not held in quite as high of regard as you think.  He's not a special returner at all ... lots of guys better than him in that phase.  As an overall special teamer, Dwayne Harris, Matthew Slater, and Budda Baker were named as "special team" player for Pro bowl and/or All Pro in 2017.  Justin Bethel got post season awards in 2016.  I do think Janis is a really good special teamer .. just not sure how elite he is.

Edited by {Family Ghost}

^Packer fans must turn off the TV or switch channels when we punt, I swear.  2015 there has never in the history of the Packers been a better season by a gunner.  He was as elite as you can get in that role, and he's been one of the better ones in the NFL since then, too.  You don't get two all-pro votes like Janis got this year if you suck, and Janis definitely doesn't suck. 

But he doesn't have 97 receptions, so e'rbody just like... He can go, it's all good. 

Just like everybody last year was all, "He can go..." with Peppers.  Don't believe it?  Go back to the archives.  I was one of the only people vocal about wanting Peppers back. 

People are so quick to want to add new players to this team and so quick to want our good players to go.  More people wanted Hyde to go than those who wanted him to stay.  Same with Casey.  And if Janis leaves in the offseason, you're going to get 67 people bitching and moaning about us letting him go when literally 5 people have expressed any kind of desire for him to stay. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, HorizontoZenith said:

^Packer fans must turn off the TV or switch channels when we punt, I swear.  2015 there has never in the history of the Packers been a better season by a gunner.  He was as elite as you can get in that role, and he's been one of the better ones in the NFL since then, too.  You don't get two all-pro votes like Janis got this year if you suck, and Janis definitely doesn't suck. 

But he doesn't have 97 receptions, so e'rbody just like... He can go, it's all good. 

Just like everybody last year was all, "He can go..." with Peppers.  Don't believe it?  Go back to the archives.  I was one of the only people vocal about wanting Peppers back. 

People are so quick to want to add new players to this team and so quick to want our good players to go.  More people wanted Hyde to go than those who wanted him to stay.  Same with Casey.  And if Janis leaves in the offseason, you're going to get 67 people bitching and moaning about us letting him go when literally 5 people have expressed any kind of desire for him to stay. 

HZ- Janis can go because Calvin Ripley, our #1 draft pick will replace him on the roster! Biegel and Fackrell will be our ST Aces. :)