Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

4 minutes ago, Leader said:

Did you retweet this to MLF? :)

Matt would've probably blocked me by now too, and that one would be justified because I like to enjoy beer while I watch football and I definitely make fun of his facial hair style that belongs shirtless in front of an Abercrombie & Fitch in the year 2009.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Matt would've probably blocked me by now too, and that one would be justified because I like to enjoy beer while I watch football and I definitely make fun of his facial hair style that belongs shirtless in front of an Abercrombie & Fitch in the year 2009.

Ha!

I see the bad first half, better second halfs as a sign this is just a young team that can't see it yet. They are making dumb mistakes with reads and adjustments but after seeing it and talking with coaches at half time they get it dialed in better. Without knowing the calls I can't tell who's struggling but I remember seeing this a couple of times but specifically on one early 3rd down play. Both wr were basically next to each other when Love threw. A couple other times he threw to spots and it looked like he was expecting a different break. In the second half they make less of these errors.

Sure things need to get better but the struggles they are having right now are predictable and normal. The key is to learn and build from here.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, spilltray said:

I see the bad first half, better second halfs as a sign this is just a young team that can't see it yet. They are making dumb mistakes with reads and adjustments but after seeing it and talking with coaches at half time they get it dialed in better. Without knowing the calls I can't tell who's struggling but I remember seeing this a couple of times but specifically on one early 3rd down play. Both wr were basically next to each other when Love threw. A couple other times he threw to spots and it looked like he was expecting a different break. In the second half they make less of these errors.

Sure things need to get better but the struggles they are having right now are predictable and normal. The key is to learn and build from here.

There certainly is an element of this, but the bigger reason is LaFleur. 

Don't even watch the first half tapes and try to correct it, scrap it. Watch the 2nd half tape and see what causes your team to succeed and build the playbook around it. 

Team needs to go back to install phase, instead of installing the whole playbook, master the 40 plays that are succeeding, build misdirection and action looks off those plays. Build the foundation of the offense from what your guys have shown they can execute.

• Like 4

2 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Don't even watch the first half tapes and try to correct it, scrap it. Watch the 2nd half tape and see what causes your team to succeed and build the playbook around it. 

Team needs to go back to install phase, instead of installing the whole playbook, master the 40 plays that are succeeding, build misdirection and action looks off those plays. Build the foundation of the offense from what your guys have shown they can execute.

This was supposed to be what MLF is good at lol

• Like 1

Just now, HokieHigh said:

This was supposed to be what MLF is good at lol

Yeah .. major disappointment.  I don't think he's getting fired any time soon, but he's going to have to make a move for a new OC or something.  This just isn't good enough and GB surely has much higher expectations.  Struggling with youth is to be expected, but to trot out unsuccessful first half plans every week is inexcusable.

2 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah .. major disappointment.  I don't think he's getting fired any time soon, but he's going to have to make a move for a new OC or something.  This just isn't good enough and GB surely has much higher expectations.  Struggling with youth is to be expected, but to trot out unsuccessful first half plans every week is inexcusable.

You are only as good as your weakest link and someone makes a mistake every play. 

Too much analytics, not enough art IMO. 

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

you would think that those mistakes in the first half would be minimal as those scripted plays to start the game are worked on in practice leading up to the game.  the idea that players are still making mistakes on those plays is a reflection in a coaching issue.  

• Like 3

18 minutes ago, squire12 said:

you would think that those mistakes in the first half would be minimal as those scripted plays to start the game are worked on in practice leading up to the game.  the idea that players are still making mistakes on those plays is a reflection in a coaching issue.  

I don't think the scripted plays have been a thing for be a while.

21 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Already said in my OP that he has a high pressure rate. I am well aware of his numbers there. I'm sure if you were his agent you'd be pointing this out too because it's his best selling point. Although, I'm guessing that number is at least skewed a bit by his lower snap count relative to other guys. 

Once in a while though I'd like to see Gary just take over a game. The kind of stuff you see you saw from Garrett yesterday or Crosby against us a few weeks ago. The kind of game I see often from TJ Watt. I saw Gary do it against New Orleans, but I don't see the same consistency of big plays I see from the other top names. We could have used one of those plays yesterday but Gary was relatively quiet despite still leading the team in pressures (5 or 6 I believe). If he's making top 5 money, that's the player I hope he can be. 

• Like 2