Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

57 minutes ago, Leader said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but my fear is that the loss of Adams is the variable here. We've seen 3 good seasons of offense under LaFleur (2019-2021) and 1.5 bad/sub-average seasons under him (2022- mid-2023). 

For the two sub-par seasons, 2022 and the present 2023 season, he's had two QBs - Rodgers and Love. 

For those same two seasons, Adams hasn't been here. 

Rodgers, as many here proclaimed, "sucked" last season. Yet, the prior two years, in the same offense, he won back-to-back MVPs - with Adams on the team. Love, who also doesn't have Adams or anyone close to his caliber, is basically on track to be comparable to 2022 Rodgers at this point. 

1 hour ago, {Family Ghost} said:

To get 300 we'd need a couple long TD's, and this team hasn't really shown themselves capable of that.  I bet we don't see 300 all year.

Hard to get to 300 when you're usually under 100 in 1st half. Improvement in 1st half production is the key. 

19 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

Not to beat a dead horse, but my fear is that the loss of Adams is the variable here. We've seen 3 good seasons of offense under LaFleur (2019-2021) and 1.5 bad/sub-average seasons under him (2022- mid-2023). 

For the two sub-par seasons, 2022 and the present 2023 season, he's had two QBs - Rodgers and Love. 

For those same two seasons, Adams hasn't been here. 

Rodgers, as many here proclaimed, "sucked" last season. Yet, the prior two years, in the same offense, he won back-to-back MVPs - with Adams on the team. Love, who also doesn't have Adams or anyone close to his caliber, is basically on track to be comparable to 2022 Rodgers at this point. 

That's why I've been beating the drum for an alpha receiver.  QB's need that go to guy, and we haven't had once since Adams was shipped out.  Maybe Doubs, Watson, Reed, Musgrave, or Wicks will eventually be that guy. It's hard to project any of them ever being close to Adams' level, but you never know.  I do like this young group though, and if they can hit their stride in the next year or so we could be kind of set for a while.  I still think a really good veteran WR would help these guys take the next step.

2 hours ago, Leader said:

It almost sad that he didn't mention Myers on those plays, too.

I've spent enough time on here bitching about Myers.  It is only fair that I point out when he plays really well.  

Two great plays in the run game by Myers, and each was different.

That second one?  Donald made Jenkins whiff initially and Myers was there to stone him.

First one?  Hit, scrape to second level.  Darned near textbook.  

And finally we see two running plays when the young TE's are sticking on blocks.

33 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

The question with Rhyan will be his pass blocking .. looks like he can be something for us as a run blocker.

Seems to me I remember Rhyan did very well in the one-on-one pass blacking drills back in training camp. If so, he may be ready to start. JRJ has a very poor anchor. He gets pushed back routinely, has trouble moving anyone in the run game, and messes up his assignments too often for a veteran. 

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Maybe Doubs, Watson, Reed, Musgrave, or Wicks will eventually be that guy. It's hard to project any of them ever being close to Adams' level, but you never know. 

Nothing about Adams first two seasons (or first 4, really) had anyone projecting him to be close to Adams' level.

• Like 1