Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Watson is physical too, I get it with the injury thing, but dude blocks and is aggressive with it. He just needs another stretch like this time last year to get us off his back.

I saw about three plays of the Seahawks game yesterday.  Last offensive play of the game, Metcalf caught a 12 yard in route, broke three tackles and got about 15ish YAC to set up an easy field goal.

That is not something that Watson does.  Even in his great stretch last year, he was no someone who would make a contested catch, break a tackle and get extra yards.  The dude won as he should...with his speed pulling him away from defenders.

In-line blocking is one thing, being physical in your route and after the catch is another.

Watson is not like Metcalf in that regard.  It isn't even remotely close.  I'll concede the point that Watson is a willing and sometimes "heavy/plus" run blocker.  But there is no way he's in the same league as Metcalf when it comes to being strong in the passing game.

If your point is to say GB needs to use Watson similarly as to how Seattle uses Metcalf?  Boundary stuff, stops, crossers.  Got it.  But they do not have the same physicality in their game.

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

There's absolutely no reason that Watson can't be a DK Metcalf clone. I refuse to accept that he needs to run every route that all the other receivers do. It's about using your players to their strengths. They don't make DK run a lot of breaking routes in Seattle, they say, hey you're huge and fast as hell, we're going to run you like a deer all over the field. 

Love is best attacking downfield, it's proven at this point with the style we attacked Chi, ATL, NO, LAR and Pitt with is how he's best utilized. You're going to need a WR like Watson in that system. They need to get on the same page both schematically and timing.

Other than the fact Watson is 6’4 207 and Metcalf is 6’4 236? That seems like a pretty big reason why he can’t. 

Edited by BarnettOSU
  • Like 1

Packers Home | Green Bay Packers – packers.com

Scroll down to the featured videos.

Jordan Love, "we definitely left a lot of plays out there!"

Rashan Gary, "I love how this team fights for 4 quarters!"

Christian Watson, "find a way to build and grow from it!"

Luke Musgrave, "I love how we all battled!"

Jayden Reed, "seeks continued growth and improvement from Packers!"

Common theme! None of them are quitters and they all want to continue to improve. When they get it figured out, watch out. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Packers Home | Green Bay Packers – packers.com

Scroll down to the featured videos.

Jordan Love, "we definitely left a lot of plays out there!"

Rashan Gary, "I love how this team fights for 4 quarters!"

Christian Watson, "find a way to build and grow from it!"

Luke Musgrave, "I love how we all battled!"

Jayden Reed, "seeks continued growth and improvement from Packers!"

Common theme! None of them are quitters and they all want to continue to improve. When they get it figured out, watch out. 

Josiaha Deguara "Huh?"

• Like 6

6 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

There's absolutely no reason that Watson can't be a DK Metcalf clone. I refuse to accept that he needs to run every route that all the other receivers do. It's about using your players to their strengths. They don't make DK run a lot of breaking routes in Seattle, they say, hey you're huge and fast as hell, we're going to run you like a deer all over the field. 

Love is best attacking downfield, it's proven at this point with the style we attacked Chi, ATL, NO, LAR and Pitt with is how he's best utilized. You're going to need a WR like Watson in that system. They need to get on the same page both schematically and timing.

Agree .. it seems to be an issue where the Packer's offensive staff just can't figure out much of anything.  How to use Love, how to use Watson, how to use Jones, what OL to use .. this offensive staff has to get their crap together or get somebody in there that can.  So far this year they have been offensive.

• Like 1