Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

It's still about the guaranteed money.

I'm going to keep pounding the table for a Mahomes type deal.

10 years for 400 million with 100 SB and another 100 guaranteed. HE gets 200 guaranteed we get cap flexibility for the foreseeable future. 

That's probably unlikely.  Remember, Mahomes had an MVP season in his first year starting 2 years before that extension kicked in.  And Mahomes got a $10M signing bonus.

5 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

There are a lot of them. I believe Detroit is going to look back at what they did in the 23 draft and point to it as the reason they didn't get over the hump. They are going to regress next year IMO. 

Those two first round picks are an absolutely joke. The players they passed on to get Gibbs and Campbell are ridiculous. 

Imagine Jalen Carter in the middle of that defense? YIKES! 

I think the DET GM is actually quite good. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

That's probably unlikely.  Remember, Mahomes had an MVP season in his first year starting 2 years before that extension kicked in.  And Mahomes got a $10M signing bonus.

Don't disagree regarding the likelihood of it happening.  Mahomes deal was also 2-years ago before Jackson, Watson and others got bigger deals APY with massive guarantees which is where the market is moving. Mahomes was also 450 million, so 50 more than my hypothetical offer to Love. 

Maybe you lower the guarantees, which I'm perfectly fine with. Get him on a deal like that which looks like a steal in 3 years or whenever the current CBA ends. 

7 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I think the DET GM is actually quite good. 

Might be but his draft last year kept them from making a bigger move forward. Three years from now I think we look this the 23 draft as the reason the Lions didn't move to elite in the NFL. Well, that and Jared Goff who they have to make a decision on in the off season. I think they extend him. 

Edited by Old Guy

2 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Might be but his draft last year kept them from making a bigger move forward. Three years from now I think we look this the 23 draft as the reason the Lions didn't move to elite in the NFL. Well, that and Jared Goff who they have to make a decision on in the off season. I think they extend him. 

There's no doubt he's getting a new deal this offseason.  And I'm with @Mazrimiv, that Lions' GM is good.  This '23 draft probably is more a blip than anything else, but they still had a solid class.  If they would gone off the board in a different order, I don't think people would be complaining about their draft class as much.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

They need to take a real developmental QB (Hendon Hooker ain't it) and hope he's for real. Bo Nix, Michael Penix or Jayden Daniels would be amazing for them in the 1st.

• Like 1

Just now, CWood21 said:

There's no doubt he's getting a new deal this offseason.  And I'm with @Mazrimiv, that Lions' GM is good.  This '23 draft probably is more a blip than anything else, but they still had a solid class.  If they would gone off the board in a different order, I don't think people would be complaining about their draft class as much.

Yeah...well, it'll be nice to get them drafting a bit later and needing to weed through the talents more.

Just now, Leader said:

Yeah...well, it'll be nice to get them drafting a bit later and needing to weed through the talents more.

And that's where he's going to be really evaluated.  Easy to pick when you're consistently in the top 10.  Both Penei Sewell and Aidan Hutchinson were both slam dunk picks for me.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, CWood21 said:

And that's where he's going to be really evaluated.  Easy to pick when you're consistently in the top 10.  Both Penei Sewell and Aidan Hutchinson were both slam dunk picks for me.

Should have been three in a row with Jalen Carter. Yes, I know about the off-field stuff as well but dude was the best player in the draft, and it wasn't close. 

5 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Agree. Let the blue chippers go off the board....then figure out your needs versus whats available.

I don't know what you guys think, but Jahmyr Gibbs is legit.  He is averaging 5.2 ypc with 5 TDs and has over 500 yards while splitting time.  He is also Detroit's 5th leading receiver.  Add to that, he has the speed to draw extra attention of the defense opening things up for other players.

And Jack Campbell has been in the very least, solid. I don't see a glaring miss between the Campbell and LaPorta picks that they will be regretting for years.

I bet they are pretty content with their return on their draft.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

25M-30M is a pipe dream.  There is no universe where Love's next deal doesn't top 40M, and that would be a fantastic deal for GB.  It will be more than 40M.

Well damn .. I ain't real keen on paying that kind of loot at this point.  Need to see a lot more, or at least a level of convincing consistency.  No rush .. he's signed for next season and will have to compromise with GB to get a new deal. 

3 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

I don't know what you guys think, but Jahmyr Gibbs is legit.  He is averaging 5.2 ypc with 5 TDs and has over 500 yards while splitting time.  He is also Detroit's 5th leading receiver.  Add to that, he has the speed to draw extra attention of the defense opening things up for other players.

And Jack Campbell has been in the very least, solid. I don't see a glaring miss between the Campbell and LaPorta picks that they will be regretting for years.

I bet they are pretty content with their return on their draft.

Those picks were kind of panned a bit and called reaches, but they look like hits now.  Detroit really needs a bad draft.