Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

43 minutes ago, Pugger said:

It seems like our players get worse the longer they are under the "guidance" of our defensive coaches so who really knows where they are trending.  😟

Wish he was progressing better, but I think he is really playing out of position.

His traits say he should be a 4-3 outside linebacker as that would simplify his decision making. The way our defense is structured the inside linebackers have to make instantaneous decisions whether its a run or pass and then decide which gap they need to be in and fill really hard on running plays. They can't be caught waiting on the guard to come through the hole or else the play goes for 5 yards.  Unfortunately, if they are wrong, that opens up the passing lanes or if they fill the wrong gap, the running back is off to the races until he gets to the safety level.  If he were in the 4-3 outside linebacker role, you would see if athletic traits on display in a more beneficial way.  The decisions would not be as complex.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

It seems like our players get worse the longer they are under the "guidance" of our defensive coaches so who really knows where they are trending.  😟

Quay's no rocket surgeon, so they should be making the game as easy as possible for him.  Not sure he's the one out there that should have the green dot.

1 hour ago, Pugger said:

When you neuter a dog, or dawg, their behavior changes.

Barry neuters his guys with his defense.

• Like 3

22 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

I think so as well.  Pretty sure that If you asked those players they would tell you that they want to be aggressive.  This scheme is anti aggressive most often.  

It's tough to try to figure out what those players want.

But I feel like the higher end players want to be aggressive.  I'll bet JA wants to be aggressive.  Same for Quay.  

Feeling like Clark would love to be more aggressive on the DL.

Not sure about our EDGE guys, seems like their whole job is to be aggressive.

20 hours ago, Pugger said:

I posted this in another thread but I'll repeat it here:  I do not want to be the #7 seed.  I have no desire to go to Dallas in the WC round and get blasted by MM and the freaking Cowboys in Dallas.  I seriously doubt Philly will get the #2 seed this year.  IMO we are still a year away from being a real playoff team so it won't break my heart if we miss getting in.

I get that sentiment, but I still think a young team like this benefits from playoff experience. Even if (maybe even especially if) it's an embarrassing playoff loss.

44 minutes ago, pgwingman said:

I get that sentiment, but I still think a young team like this benefits from playoff experience. Even if (maybe even especially if) it's an embarrassing playoff loss.

I'm torn on this one. I see your point about play off experience, not sure if getting your butt kicked is so great , but it is experience ! On the other hand , we do need a infusion of talent . That being said , finishing around .500 isn't exactly going to net top tier talent . I'd probably still lean to higher draft pick and ensuring that Barry doesn't return!

• Like 2

19 hours ago, vegas492 said:

It's tough to try to figure out what those players want.

But I feel like the higher end players want to be aggressive.  I'll bet JA wants to be aggressive.  Same for Quay.  

Feeling like Clark would love to be more aggressive on the DL.

Not sure about our EDGE guys, seems like their whole job is to be aggressive.

Savage, who likes to play downhill, is a fish out of water in Barry's scheme. Savage has other shortcomings, but he could be a serviceable guy in the right scheme. 

If you play defense in the NFL, your nature is to want to be aggressive. 

1 minute ago, Mazrimiv said:

This fear of the playoffs is dumb.  Making the playoffs is always better for the team than not making the playoffs.

The benefit or making the playoffs is not worth the possibility that Joe Barry is brought back as a result of it. Not even for this young team. 

• Like 1