Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Just now, turf toe said:

I agree with Ross, best receiver talent counting TE's we've had for 2 decades or more

I think the scheme/qb is doing a lot more than the actual talent at WR outside of Reed.

Heath/melton/Doubs are more mirage than substance as individual talents.  None of them are bad per se, I just wouldn't be that bummed if any of them were out/traded/cut

Christian Watson has a lot to prove next year, and I doubt he does it.  But he has special speed that shows up in the game.

Reed is a bona fide guy getting better every game.  Even if he has a slump next year I'll still be all in on him this time next year.

Wicks is the enigma, and the one capable of pushing this from a "decent, ok to good group" to "possibly a great WR group"

6 hours ago, turf toe said:

I agree with Ross, best receiver talent counting TE's we've had for 2 decades or more

Can't agree with this.  I'm going with the Jennings, Jordy, Cobb, Driver, Jones, Finley group from 2011/2012

6 hours ago, skibrett15 said:

I think the scheme/qb is doing a lot more than the actual talent at WR outside of Reed.

Heath/melton/Doubs are more mirage than substance as individual talents.  None of them are bad per se, I just wouldn't be that bummed if any of them were out/traded/cut

Christian Watson has a lot to prove next year, and I doubt he does it.  But he has special speed that shows up in the game.

Reed is a bona fide guy getting better every game.  Even if he has a slump next year I'll still be all in on him this time next year.

Wicks is the enigma, and the one capable of pushing this from a "decent, ok to good group" to "possibly a great WR group"

Agree with most of this.  I'd like to get bigger Jayden Reed type to counter when Watson can't play.  I wouldn't spend a high pick on one but it would be nice to have.  

18 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Agree with most of this.  I'd like to get bigger Jayden Reed type to counter when Watson can't play.  I wouldn't spend a high pick on one but it would be nice to have.  

A bigger Jayden Reed is a top 15 pick. 

• Like 2

20 minutes ago, NFLGURU said:

Gotta agree with Lodestar; that's a guaranteed 1st Rounder- maybe early 2nd if he plays in the FCS and has most of his collegiate career wiped out for outside reasons. At BEST you're getting that MVS-type in the later rounds, and we know how that song and dance goes.

34 minutes ago, Zycho32 said:

Gotta agree with Lodestar; that's a guaranteed 1st Rounder- maybe early 2nd if he plays in the FCS and has most of his collegiate career wiped out for outside reasons. At BEST you're getting that MVS-type in the later rounds, and we know how that song and dance goes.

I dont see them spending a high pick on a WR with this WR room and the needs in other areas.  I'd take a flyer if there was a guy they like later.  

9 hours ago, turf toe said:

They did have Jermichael Finley as well. He was no slouch as a TE. Career ended early like Nick Collins, sadly! 

1 hour ago, NFLGURU said:

I dont see them spending a high pick on a WR with this WR room and the needs in other areas.  I'd take a flyer if there was a guy they like later.  

Fwiw, the one thing that would help Love/passing game is that defense-stretching deep threat. He can be a one-trick pony, provided that is the one trick. (Think MVS). Do you draft someone like that in round 1? Probably not. But in round 2 or later? Possibly. Watson is that and more, but if they eventually determine he has chronic hamstring issues, then they can't count on him, that important role goes unfulfilled, and the offense is hamstrung ;) because of it, at least a bit. You need a backup plan. Are there any round 2 or later prospects in this upcoming draft that might be able to be that one trick pony? Perhaps. Maybe it's Legette, or Franklin, or Polk, or Walker?

Whatever the case, I think having this role reliably fulfilled is a greater need than others may think.