Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, CWood21 said:

But Bakh playing 75% of the snaps with a $40M+ cap hit or Rasheed Walker likely playing 95%+ at just over $1M cap hit is a no-brainer.  And that's assuming a very optimistic outcome for Bakhtiari.

Team just went to the divisional round and allowed 0 sacks vs both Dallas and SF and retaining an OT that is 33 and due around $20M who played 1 game in this season with holes needing to be filled elsewhere is a weird use of resources.

This is a critical off-season to nail, this went light speed from a rebuild to all-in for a championship in a month. 

Love will have next years cap hit and 2 modest years of cap hits (probably around 17-22m cap hit to 26-30m in 2025 and 2026 looking at deals structured for Burrow, Lamar and Hurts. We have a 3 year window where our QB will be very affordable and we can build around him. Critical we do it right. If we don't get a Lombardi in the next 3, it's not impossible but it's clearly more difficult.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, squire12 said:

Team just went to the divisional round and allowed 0 sacks vs both Dallas and SF and retaining an OT that is 33 and due around $20M who played 1 game in this season with holes needing to be filled elsewhere is a weird use of resources.

Let's not act like the pass pro isn't a significant reason why we didn't score TDs in the first half, or why Jordan Love fell apart in the 4th. He was outstanding in the pocket last night, prime Aaron Rodgers levels of good. Someone like Kirk Cousins gets sacked 4-5 times last night.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

This is a critical off-season to nail, this went light speed from a rebuild to all-in for a championship in a month. 

Love will have next years cap hit and 2 modest years of cap hits (probably around 17-22m cap hit to 26-30m in 2025 and 2026 looking at deals structured for Burrow, Lamar and Hurts. We have a 3 year window where our QB will be very affordable and we can build around him. Critical we do it right. If we don't get a Lombardi in the next 3, it's not impossible but it's clearly more difficult.

The play of our OL is really encouraging. It should allow us to retool the defense.

One way or another, we need a top defense. 

*I still want to add premium to OL though 

Pour ALL resources into OL and legitimately anywhere in defense 

Edited by incognito_man

40 minutes ago, Packerraymond said:

Why did Jones? Why have dozens and dozens of later career players in NFL history? Limited options, stability, no need to change their personal and professional environment.

Except RB market usually dwindle pretty badly when they're on the other side of 30.  I mean, Duane Brown got a 2 year, $22M deal from the Jets in 2022 despite being halfway retired.

9 minutes ago, squire12 said:

I absolutely love Bakh (probably one of my favorite players) and what he's done for this roster, but anything other than a minimum base salary and ULTBE incentives for games played for him to make some of the money back is a bad idea.

• Like 1

Just now, CWood21 said:

Except RB market usually dwindle pretty badly when they're on the other side of 30.  I mean, Duane Brown got a 2 year, $22M deal from the Jets in 2022 despite being halfway retired.

He got 9m in cash in year one. Any sort of restructure or extension the Packers can easily beat or match that AND lower his cap hit tremendously. We haven't even gotten to the ULTBE incentives we can put in there and not have a dime of them count against 2024 cap. 

If both sides are motivated to stick together, there is no more beneficial pairing for either side than to remain together.

7 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

I absolutely love Bakh (probably one of my favorite players) and what he's done for this roster, but anything other than a minimum base salary and ULTBE incentives for games played for him to make some of the money back is a bad idea.

Yeah .. it's got be incentive based on games played.  He's got to be available or it's not worth pursuing.

5 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

This is the argument I hear over and over again and it's odd to me, like we're not using our reading comprehension. Bakh chose to miss this season to fix the issue causing the missed games due to fluid build up. Had nothing to do with the ACL anymore. He has/had a texture to ligaments in his knee that caused inflammation. It was a condition that was asymptomatic for him until the damage done to the knee by the ACL tear.

If the medical staff says to Gute "eh I still think he's going to be week-to-week the rest of his career" Bakh will be cut. That will be a tough pill for Dave to swallow and most likely means his career is over. If Dave plays next year I guarantee he plays 12 games minimum unless a separate injury occurs 

The key point being "unless a separate injury occurs".  The acl tear, fluid around the knee issues, ligament/tendon problems, 3 years shot with no play and 3 years older; everybody and all concerned better be darn sure he's ok to go to spend 20 million.  That's a heck of a risk/betting on the come he'll be fine and be able to play a ton of games where he hasn't for years.   

I think we can easily get the Bakh cap hit down to 24-25m if he is willing to negotiate. If he isn't then I agree it's time to cut him lose.

My ideal scenario would be something like this:

• Bakh takes a 7m paycut.
  • He agrees to 2 void years on his contract
  • He gets paid a 7.5m signing bonus
  • His salary is the minimum and workout bonus stays the same (2.5m total)
  • He has 4.5m of NLTBE bonuses.

This would save us 15.93m against the cap.

For those that say we don't want to add dead cap to 2025, this deal makes it a case of either taking 5m of dead cap next year vs the proposed 19m of dead cap this year.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Packerraymond said:

Why did Jones? Why have dozens and dozens of later career players in NFL history? Limited options, stability, no need to change their personal and professional environment.

If he gets 100% clean bill of healthk if he takes a big time team friendly salary cut, if he still can produce, if he can stay healthy .. I'm all in for keeping him.  But, that's a hell of a lot of ifs for being in the NFL now days.   Cross off those ifs and make them all yes; I'm fine with it.

3 hours ago, incognito_man said:

The play of our OL is really encouraging. It should allow us to retool the defense.

One way or another, we need a top defense. 

*I still want to add premium to OL though 

Pour ALL resources into OL and legitimately anywhere in defense 

Edit:  We need a top defense with a top defensive coordinator.  Average like its been overall the past 2 years isn't cutting it.  Pouring even more resources into a defense that has had a ton of #1's and being just average at best .. not the best usage of even more draft resources.  (Team needs safeties/cb badly)