Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

8 hours ago, pgwingman said:

I guess that's kinda my point. Love is basically done with his rookie deal, so any modest/lower cap hits are going to come at the expense of other future/higher cap hits.

This is something I find fascinating. When you look at the top QB contracts in the NFL, it's full of wild fluctuations.

Mahomes' cap hit goes from $37m this year to $57m next year.

Lamar's goes $22m (2023) - $32m (2024) - $44m (2025) - $75m (2026)

Josh Allen goes from $19m this year to $47m next year.

Burrows goes $20m (2023) - $30m (2024) - $46m (2025)

Herbert goes $8m (2023) - $19m (2024) - $37m (2025)

I guess the more I look into this, a lot of the low cap hits in 2023 were restructures to free up cap space for a championship run (Mahomes, Allen) or the end of the rookie deal (2023). So most GMs are crafting the contract with pretty steady cap hits, but then trying to maximize spending now and pushing the cap hits to later. But I spent too much time researching the post, so I'm not going to delete it.

If I had to guess now, I'd say that any new deal for Love would have cap hits of the following:

• 2024 - between 17-20m
  • 2025 - Between 26-29m
  • 2026 - Between 34-37m
  • 2027 onwards - Above 50m

The over 50m cap hits will be when the salary cap is over 300m so they will still be somewhat manageable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Zycho32 said:

Yeah, this is the caliber of Kicker you can expect to be available to compete with Anders.

When I'm REALLY bored some night I'm gonna look at how OAKYAR projects college kickers into the NFL. If it's useful or not for scouting 

54 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

The Watson, Stokes and Aaron Jones hammy injuries were just a bit too much for LaFleur to stomach any longer.  

MLF took the bull by the horns this off season so far. I'm quite impressed. I did not think he would can anybody. 

22 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

MLF took the bull by the horns this off season so far. I'm quite impressed. I did not think he would can anybody. 

Yeah .. hard not to be happy with the news today.  LaFleur fully realizes he needs better from his coaching staff.  Time to up the game in GB. Hire the best DC money can buy and let him clear house if that is what he wants.  Time to get on the cutting edge when it comes to strength and conditioning as well.  I'm not sure Gizzi was doing anything wrong, but the soft tissue injuries call it into question for sure. 

16 minutes ago, {Family Ghost} said:

Yeah .. hard not to be happy with the news today.  LaFleur fully realizes he needs better from his coaching staff.  Time to up the game in GB. Hire the best DC money can buy and let him clear house if that is what he wants.  Time to get on the cutting edge when it comes to strength and conditioning as well.  I'm not sure Gizzi was doing anything wrong, but the soft tissue injuries call it into question for sure. 

When is the Special Teams Coach getting canned. He hasn't been much better.

41 minutes ago, DWhitehurst said:

Nah. Draft him in the first round, trade up even, just to make sure they get him. 

Should we negotiate with the Bears for the #1 to make it an absolute? Anything is better than what we had to deal with this season. Way too inconsistent.

10 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Guess we finally got tired of all the soft tissue injuries. 

All the S&C guys except Gizzi are long-time Packers employees with from 10 to well over 20 years of tenure. Lovat joined in 1999, which is closing in on a quarter century at GB. Thorne joined in 2013 and Jackson in 2010.

10 hours ago, minnypackerfan said:

When is the Special Teams Coach getting canned. He hasn't been much better.

If I recall correctly, Bassacia is the highest paid special teams coordinator in the league. Proof that buying the best coach money buy doesn't always work out.