Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

He needs to be better. I was also disappointed for a guy with an advertised “big leg” he didn’t put that many through the endzone on KOs. Maybe he wasn’t asked to by his coach but there were certain situations where we gave up a decent return coming up short. Kicking is fickle, but a pro needs to be very reliable on anything under 50 and basically perfect on PATs. Anders is currently far from both of those things. 

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, R T said:

Yet he was 20 for 20 on FGs inside the 40. He is a rookie kicker that was coming off an injury in college that everyone should have understood there would be some ups and downs in his first season. Raymond is correct in that it is a 'potential problem', there is a big difference between potential problem and what the sky is always falling group that is trying to make a big deal out of every missed kick that happens. Every kicker missed kicks this season, not just Carlson. 

And no, Carlson's missed FG against SF is not the reason they lost that game.  

Agree .. however, missing most of his field goals between the 40-49 yard line is concerning.  He missed the most by far from this yardage range and it shouldn't be.  Yes, every kicker missed kicks .. just not that many .. his missed field goal against the 49ers didn't lose the game but it's a reason why they did win the game.

56 minutes ago, Brit Pack said:

Crosby didn't crack 80% till his 5th season. And in his 6th he dropped to 63%!!!!

Give the kid time. We are going to be scoring TDs not FGs next season anyway!!! But do need those XP converted...

Do you, or anyone else, feel like Sebastian Janikowski and Mason Crosby were a good kickers?

His rookie season, Janikowski connected on 68.8% of his kicks.

Crosby connected on 79.5% of his kicks as a rookie.

Carlson connected on 81.8% of his kicks.

Janikowski and Crosby developed, as most rookies do, and became some of the best in the league for a time.

No reason to think Carlson won't develop as well.

Sure, you bring in competition and may the best man win.  I'm just putting a little perspective into the debate here.

• Like 4

40 minutes ago, Refugee said:

He needs to be better. I was also disappointed for a guy with an advertised “big leg” he didn’t put that many through the endzone on KOs. Maybe he wasn’t asked to by his coach but there were certain situations where we gave up a decent return coming up short. Kicking is fickle, but a pro needs to be very reliable on anything under 50 and basically perfect on PATs. Anders is currently far from both of those things. 

I feel like you gotta get over that bias concerning not kicking into the end zone.  It was very obvious that it was a coaching strategy.

Without looking it up, were there any kickers that were basically perfect on PAT's?  I feel like most every game I watched this year outside of GB included missed PAT's.  

I feel like Justin Tucker is about as good of a kicker as there is.  He missed one.  

Brandon Aubrey (Cowboys) was a heckuva kicker.  He missed three.

I tried looking up the Lions kicker, but they got rid of one and the new guy missed 2 out of 15.

Seems like perfection is tough on PATs.  No doubt that Carlson needs to improve there.  

A lot of talk about the kicker but none about the long snapper or the holder? It's a three man job. 

I'm far from an expert on the topic but there were definitely multiple clear as day bad snaps and bad holds to go along with bad kicks. 

To what extent each contributed to the problem I have no idea and won't pretend to. 

• Like 6

22 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

A lot of talk about the kicker but none about the long snapper or the holder? It's a three man job. 

I'm far from an expert on the topic but there were definitely multiple clear as day bad snaps and bad holds to go along with bad kicks. 

To what extent each contributed to the problem I have no idea and won't pretend to. 

Oh I'm a day 1 **** this snapper, guy. Guys all over the place, and i dont remember him making any tackles on punt.

This guy stinks.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brit Pack said:

Crosby didn't crack 80% till his 5th season. And in his 6th he dropped to 63%!!!!

Give the kid time. We are going to be scoring TDs not FGs next season anyway!!! But do need those XP converted...

that's because crosby wasn't a good kicker either.  Longwell was a much better kicker

37 minutes ago, wgbeethree said:

This!! Really sad all the heat Carlson is getting from fans and the media. Unfortunately he's an easy target. Let's give him a quality long snapper and holder and see if that helps.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Toddfather said:

Such an Applebee's take.

decent kicker who made some big kicks because he was on a few all time teams and played on a winning team

Also missed some huge kicks.  Because he attempted a lot of important kicks because of the environment he played on.

Edited by skibrett15

2 hours ago, vegas492 said:

I feel like you gotta get over that bias concerning not kicking into the end zone.  It was very obvious that it was a coaching strategy.

Without looking it up, were there any kickers that were basically perfect on PAT's?  I feel like most every game I watched this year outside of GB included missed PAT's.  

I feel like Justin Tucker is about as good of a kicker as there is.  He missed one.  

Brandon Aubrey (Cowboys) was a heckuva kicker.  He missed three.

I tried looking up the Lions kicker, but they got rid of one and the new guy missed 2 out of 15.

Seems like perfection is tough on PATs.  No doubt that Carlson needs to improve there.  

Totally disagree with the endzone take, in consideration of the rule for fair catching it and a kicker possibly kicking short why take the chance of kicking short. Any good returner can just call a fair catch. Sure there are guys that bring them back. I'm surprised we didn't get more fair catches with those short kicks this year to be honest, but he does not have a big leg maybe he's still growing but he's not a big leg kicker. When he does kick into the EZ he's lucky if they are 2-3 yards deep at best. Can't tell me that RB wants them short every KO. 

He's got a weak leg on KO. He simply does. 

Agree with the rest of your take about a rook though. We tore the bandaid off i called for it actually to leg Cosby walk and start new so was willing to deal with misses. It's too bad, i'm sure we wanted the kid from MI on our team but he went just a bit earlier then our pick if i remember correctly.

Edited by PACKRULE

24 minutes ago, PACKRULE said:

Totally disagree with the endzone take, in consideration of the rule for fair catching it and a kicker possibly kicking short why take the chance of kicking short. Any good returner can just call a fair catch. Sure there are guys that bring them back. I'm surprised we didn't get more fair catches with those short kicks this year to be honest, but he does not have a big leg maybe he's still growing but he's not a big leg kicker. When he does kick into the EZ he's lucky if they are 2-3 yards deep at best. Can't tell me that RB wants them short every KO. 

He's got a weak leg on KO. He simply does. 

Agree with the rest of your take about a rook though. We tore the bandaid off i called for it actually to leg Cosby walk and start new so was willing to deal with misses. It's too bad, i'm sure we wanted the kid from MI on our team but he went just a bit earlier then our pick if i remember correctly.

He's trying to bait the opponent into a return.  It's 100% by design.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, wgbeethree said:

I'd add one more to the list.  The left hashmark.

Man, Carlson hates that thing.  Maybe paint it a different color.  Or let him scuff it up good.

Or simply place the ball in the middle of the field or right hash for those PAT's.

All kidding aside, I remember most misses coming from that left hash.  Could be wrong, but that is what I remember.