Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, persiandud said:

oh give me a break bro, he's not an all pro returner talent lol

I certainly can. why are you assuming my football knowledge is poor? let's have some respect for others on this site, i tend to think if you're here you probably watch a lot of football as i do

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, persiandud said:

i certainly can. why are you assuming my football knowledge is poor? let's have some respect for others on this site, i tend to think if you're here you probably watch a lot of football as i do 

if you think Nixon is above average, we can agree to disagree. that's a bad contract imo

I've been pretty much on the get a new slot bandwagon, but I'm going to trust that Hafley knows what he's doing and thinks he can get a winning season out of Nixon.  We have to remember that he was playing in a pretty dysfunctional system under Barry.

It was Nixon's first prolonged action in that position and they must feel they can develop him into a really strong slot player.  I like his physicality for sure.  Also with the kick return probably coming back to the NFL this year it adds to his value. He was pretty excellent at it in 2022.  

26 minutes ago, HighCalebR said:

I ******* can't. McDuffie, Kenny Moore, was Metellus the vikings leader in slot reps? Brian Branch, is Mike Hilton still a thing? Kyler Gordon.  I'm running out of names.

My point is they aren't household names.

Let's take Kyler Gordon. He's regarded as one of the top nickel corners right? 78% completion. 94 QBR against. 2 TDs against. 9.4 yards/completion, 7.3 yds/target

McDuffie, probably the best slot corner this year. 67% completion 94 QBR against. 2 TDs. 10.5 yds/completion, 6.9 yds/target

Nixon 78% completion. 105 QBR against. 3 TDs. 9.4 yds/completion 7.4 yds/target

Instead of taking immediate offense against your person try having a conversation.  Answer the question if you "certainly can" would've taken less characters than what you put down and "shown me up" in the process.

If we go into the season without adding any competition to the spot I'll be uneasy. I fully expect guys to be added to the room. I don't love keisean in the slot and I'll be rooting for someone to overtake him.  

Without even looking at the contract I assume it's very easy to get out of after year 1.

i'm not sure how you thought my response was "showing you up". but yea, i did take offense to that question, my bad

i could go through the teams and name a good number of them. for instance, the AFC East.... Kohou on the Dolphins. Dugger on the Pats. Taron Johnson on the Bills, sometimes Micah Hyde. Michael Carter on the Jets 

anyway, the money seems to suggest Hafley sees him as the starter at nickel. I'm perplexed by it, when I watch Packer games Nixon tends to be one of the weaker players in our secondary. but I guess our new DC thinks there's something there

i'm with you, I'm certainly rooting for a slot CB in the draft who can overtake him. waiting on the contract details too to see how soon we can get out of this. if he's really our starting slot CB week 1, in my opinion that's a real problem. the slot position has become increasingly more important in today's game 

I saw the estimated numbers for Nixon and was like....meh.

Then I thought a little about it....wasn't last year like Nixon's first or second year really playing corner at all?  Didn't he read a route based on down/distance/formation against the Chiefs and get the game sealing INT?

I don't know.  But my guess is that there is still a ceiling to his corner game.  Then you throw in kickoffs and it is a pretty nice deal for a nickel corner, or a depth piece at corner while giving you a real weapon on specials.

• Like 2

15 minutes ago, vegas492 said:

I saw the estimated numbers for Nixon and was like....meh.

Then I thought a little about it....wasn't last year like Nixon's first or second year really playing corner at all?  Didn't he read a route based on down/distance/formation against the Chiefs and get the game sealing INT?

I don't know.  But my guess is that there is still a ceiling to his corner game.  Then you throw in kickoffs and it is a pretty nice deal for a nickel corner, or a depth piece at corner while giving you a real weapon on specials.

I mean there's really no way to sugarcoat it. When Nixon is on the field, he's probably the guy you are targeting. DeVito ate him alive in the Giants game, especially on the last drive. Maybe Hafley can get more out of him as a slot CB, but typically man coverage skills are man coverage skills, there's not a whole lot to change there. I believe Nixon gave up the 2nd most yards of any slot CB in the league last season (and was one of the most targeted as well). He kind of is what he is. 

Nixon has other good qualities (leadership, grit, physical player, + ST ability) so I am fine having him on the roster, but hopefully they draft a guy who can push for slot snaps. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Leader said:

I've made enough posts about Dillon recently and while I love the guy but don't want him back in GB, I do hope he finds a team he's happy with, finds success and continues to carve out a long NFL career

Edit:

But if that team is the Cowboys or an NFC North team than I hate him for the duration of his stay

Edited by Kampfgeist
  • Like 1

19 minutes ago, packfanfb said:

I mean there's really no way to sugarcoat it. When Nixon is on the field, he's probably the guy you are targeting. DeVito ate him alive in the Giants game, especially on the last drive. Maybe Hafley can get more out of him as a slot CB, but typically man coverage skills are man coverage skills, there's not a whole lot to change there. I believe Nixon gave up the 2nd most yards of any slot CB in the league last season (and was one of the most targeted as well). He kind of is what he is. 

Nixon has other good qualities (leadership, grit, physical player, + ST ability) so I am fine having him on the roster, but hopefully they draft a guy who can push for slot snaps. 

So, you are telling me that slots get targeted.  

I'm telling you that Nixon isn't some finished product.   I'm looking on PFR right now and his career stats read like he was a special teamer who had very, very limited defensive snaps in LA/Oak.  Then came to GB saw a few snaps in the defense in 2022 and broke through to be a contributor and get real defensive snaps in 2023.

To say that you really know what his upside is as a player seems unlikely because he really only played defense for one year.

At least that is my hope and it is what I'm telling myself.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Leader said:

I can't get over spending real dollars on a WR unit that clearly showed that they do not need a vet in that room.

And I love me some Keenan Allen.  But it would be a poor spend of money.

7 minutes ago, Leader said:

Tom Silverstein -  Free agency is always a gamble, which is why it’s smart that the Packers aren’t planning any more splashes.

This seems like a challenge. 

1 minute ago, Refugee said:

This seems like a challenge. 

There was an article attached but since I dont subscribe to JSOnline - I didnt attach it here.
Just posted Silverstein's comment as is....that we're done in his view.