Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Leader said:

This ☝️I've got nothing about motorcycles...it's just that out on the road there's so many variables that the driver doesnt control that could lead to serious injury or death. My "visualized" best ride would be across the open plains - where the nearest car is seen miles off and the sharp turns are non-existent. Touring.

Open Plains are confirmed fantastic for biking. Except every road is mile by mile square. Hit the black hills in the offseason.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Scoremore said:

Leaning into a corner can be dangerous.  Loose gravel will take you out too.  Came close to biting it once.  Heavy fog driving my bike back from Door County to Milwaukee.  Was on HWY 42 between Algoma and Kewaunee.  Glasses were getting beaded up from the fog.  Couldn't see. Lowered my glasses and saw two sets of headlights coming at me.  Some jackass was trying to pass another car in the fog.  Missed him by a few inches.  Nearly put me in the ditch.  Just putt around nice and easy.  Drive defensive. It's the guys that drive aggressively that get hurt.  But regardless no Harley's for the Packers.  Holmgren used to have one.  Should have banned him too.  

Coaches can ride, any injuries they absorb help the team stay healthy. LaFluer testing that hypothesis once again this season. Best the players can get is a Zadarious trike or preferably a Rodgers golf cart. I don’t even like them pedaling those tiny bikes at camp. 

7 hours ago, Refugee said:

Coaches can ride, any injuries they absorb help the team stay healthy. LaFluer testing that hypothesis once again this season. Best the players can get is a Zadarious trike or preferably a Rodgers golf cart. I don’t even like them pedaling those tiny bikes at camp. 

E bikes 👍

Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, OneTwoSixFive said:

Other teams will be well aware of 'the formula' but lack the essential ingredients.

To implement 'the formula'  you need a top QB already on the roster like Favre and then like Rodgers. That is where the problem lies for many other teams. Also, you have to be smart enough to draft a new QB before the old one is toast........... and teams tend to fail there as well. Finally, that you also have to draft the right guy goes without saying, but it is another stumbling block for many teams.

Two words not mentioned by Cowherd but which I thought of continually while listening to his comments:

Tom Clements

I honestly cant evaluate how much positive influence Clements has had over Love, but I think it considerable - which dovetails with a pseudo staple of GB: QB school or developing QBs. While the talent evaluations that lead to drafting or trading for are crucial...having the people around the QB to develop them is as well.

Eventually Clements is gonna retire. Sooner rather than later. I hope his replacement is nearly as good.

Edited by Leader
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Leader said:

Two words not mentioned by Cowherd but which I thought of continually while listening to his comments:

Tom Clements

I honestly cant evaluate how much positive influence Clements has had over Love, but I think it considerable - which dovetails with a pseudo staple of GB: QB school or developing QBs. While the talent evaluations that lead to drafting or trading for are crucial...having the people around the QB to develop them is as well.

Eventually Clements is gonna retire. Sooner rather than later. I hope his replacement is nearly as good.

Sean Mannion is looked at as a guy who has a bright future in coaching. Minnesota was not happy to see him go, let alone to their sworn enemy. He’s got a lot to prove and no telling if he can be a great QB coach but for now he is the heir apparent to Clements. LaFluer said Clements took some time before making the decision to return. He’s definitely in the late sunset of his time here. Let’s get him another ring before he hangs it up. 

• Like 1

My assumption is that 2024 will be the final year with Clements as a full-time coach on the Packers staff.  The hiring of Mannion seems like a pretty clear sign that Clements is ready to call it a career, but also doesn't want to leave GB without a successor in place.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Refugee said:

Sean Mannion is looked at as a guy who has a bright future in coaching. Minnesota was not happy to see him go, let alone to their sworn enemy. He’s got a lot to prove and no telling if he can be a great QB coach but for now he is the heir apparent to Clements. LaFluer said Clements took some time before making the decision to return. He’s definitely in the late sunset of his time here. Let’s get him another ring before he hangs it up. 

Thanks for the name drop. I'd forgotten about Mannion.

32 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

My assumption is that 2024 will be the final year with Clements as a full-time coach on the Packers staff.  The hiring of Mannion seems like a pretty clear sign that Clements is ready to call it a career, but also doesn't want to leave GB without a successor in place.

Storybook ending:  Clements gets his ring with Love, hangs it up or maybe stays as a consultant and Mannion is a sponge who soaks up everything he can from his mentor and brings new energy to the room as he lives up to expectations and continues the ridiculous run of stellar QB play in GB. Whether or not this happens, Clements has a strong case for GB HoF. He has fingerprints on three great QBs with the 3rd’s greatness TBD. Hope he really enjoys this year that he came back for. 

5 hours ago, Leader said:

Different times for sure. Most of those young men playing still had to work second jobs in the off season.

I know that in the 60s men would pick out a nice suit to wear to the big game.

A guy doing research for an SI article examined Steeler SB photographs from ‘75 and ‘79. No jerseys in ‘the crowd in 75, and a handful visible in ‘79.

I didn’t buy my first jersey until Derek Mayes. I thought he was gonna be a star. 

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, Uffdaswede said:

Different times for sure. Most of those young men playing still had to work second jobs in the off season.

I know that in the 60s men would pick out a nice suit to wear to the big game.

A guy doing research for an SI article examined Steeler SB photographs from ‘75 and ‘79. No jerseys in ‘the crowd in 75, and a handful visible in ‘79.

I didn’t buy my first jersey until Derek Mayes. I thought he was gonna be a star. 

That brings up a good conversation question.

What is everyone’s worst jersey/memorabilia purchase?

mine has to be:

Javon Walker Jersey during the 2004 season!

worst overall memorabilia purchase?

A full Tiger Woods display with a signed Augusta flag, ball, driver and portrait

21 minutes ago, TheGreatZepp said:

That brings up a good conversation question.

What is everyone’s worst jersey/memorabilia purchase?

mine has to be:

Javon Walker Jersey during the 2004 season!

worst overall memorabilia purchase?

A full Tiger Woods display with a signed Augusta flag, ball, driver and portrait

Definitely not a “worst” but my first jersey was an Atari Bigby jersey. He had a season where he lit it up and I always love a safety that punches above his weight. My brother got it for me as a gift because he knew I liked the player. I’m not usually a jersey guy. I was able to gift it to my host when I stayed in Jamaica and they loved it for the green and gold and Bigby’s Jamaican heritage. I still have a Woodson jersey that I wore during that SB run. I doubt I’ll buy another although Love is pretty classic just for the love. 

• Like 1