Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

If the Packers and Love weren't anywhere close to the point where he figures he's going to have to play out the deal then face the franchise tag, he would probably be practicing.  The reason to avoid practicing here is that you're on the precipice of life-changing money and you don't want to screw it up right before it happens.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, OzPackfan said:

I think you'll find they don't. I am fairly certain his contract contains 3 void years which take effect before a player can be franchise tagged

Contract does contain void years.  However I haven't seen anything that states that a player with void years left can't be franchised.  That's new to me.  Perhaps some others can chime in.  

4 hours ago, PossibleCabbage said:

If the Packers and Love weren't anywhere close to the point where he figures he's going to have to play out the deal then face the franchise tag, he would probably be practicing.  The reason to avoid practicing here is that you're on the precipice of life-changing money and you don't want to screw it up right before it happens.

Yep that's my read as well.  Didn't anticipate a "hold in".  Changes the equation.  Love's agent isn't going to let this drag out.  Kind of curious.  Packers will be a little more reluctant to reset the market at this point.  Mid season if he's balling out they probably would.  Thinking 5 yr 260 mil deal right now.  Seems about right.  Think we'll find out by the end of the week. 

I think they are arguing over not the amount but whether the Packers have outs a year or two into the deal if Love can't keep up his trajectory. While Love's side probably want more fully guaranteed cash

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Scoremore said:

Contract does contain void years.  However I haven't seen anything that states that a player with void years left can't be franchised.  That's new to me.  Perhaps some others can chime in.  

My understanding is that it depends on when the contract voids.  If the contract voids prior to the window for applying tags, the player can be tagged.  If the void date is after the tag window, the player cannot be tagged.

So the question is, on what date does Love's current contract void?

Love's contract (Per Spotrac): 2025-2027 years automatically void 23 days before the start of the 2025 league year.

That places the void date prior to the 2025 tag deadline, which should mean Love is eligible to be tagged.

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 1

From The Athletic

Most experts believe Love’s contract will reset the market and become the richest deal in NFL history. Jaguars QB Trevor Lawrence just signed for $55 million per year. Expect Love’s to be slightly more than that, around the five-year, $280 million mark. The big question is whether his guaranteed money tops the numbers of Lawrence ($142 million) or Joe Burrow ($146 million). I do not expect him to beat Cleveland's nonsensical $230 million guaranteed deal for Deshaun Watson, but you never know.

Remember a year ago when non-GB fans were gloating about how Packers fans were finally going to learn what it's like trying to win with a mediocre QB? 

To be fair, it was a rough 8 weeks.  Good times.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Old Guy said:

Just ******* get hm signed so we can avoid all of the nonsense. 

Kind of agree. 

Either he's the franchise QB and paying him 60 rather than 58 isn't a big deal. 

Or he's not, and paying him 58 is crippling anyway. 

+++

Truthfully the delay is probably coming from Love's camp. They've probably got an offer they'll accept and are just dragging their feet with a deadline in mind (Friday) to see if they can eek out an extra million. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

The Love hold-in is no doubt a power move by Love to assert his dominance over Gute after the Barnes cut.

Business is business, but this time it’s personal. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Leader said:

All the more reason to invest in an interior offensive lineman that can play. Connor WIlliams is the dream. He would take over for Myers next year, perhaps middle of this year coming off ACL. 

You could probably work out a deal where Williams' salary cap number this year is slightly more than Neman's and get rid of his ***. 

1 hour ago, Refugee said:

Business is business, but this time it’s personal. 

LOL! Why is it personal? Love's agent is protecting his client. I've heard no mention of any animosity. 

On 7/20/2024 at 9:07 PM, Scoremore said:

Packers are working out Jake Fromm.  Stud in college and smart player.  With Cliffy and Pratt don't think he'll have a chance but like this kid coming out.  Ran across it on Packer Wire.  Just found it interesting see if they bring him in for camp. 

ultimate revenge story for eason. 2-4 day camp arm contract goes to him years after fromm ends his georgia tenure. what a story. this is the climax of the eason movie. 

• Like 1