Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

1 hour ago, Leader said:

8 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

All the more reason to invest in an interior offensive lineman that can play. Connor WIlliams is the dream. He would take over for Myers next year, perhaps middle of this year coming off ACL. 

You could probably work out a deal where Williams' salary cap number this year is slightly more than Neman's and get rid of his ***. 

Packers revise contract of OL Royce Newman (msn.com)

NEWMAN! - Newman - quickmeme

Not sure this changes anything as none of this money is guaranteed from what I read. Probably the Packers saying, we cut you if you don't take this offer. It seems almost assured he would have been cut if he had not taken the lower money with a chance to make it back. 

Keeps him in camp, but hopefully he's still cut. 

Edited by Old Guy
  • Like 1

11 minutes ago, HokieHigh said:

Is it a 5 year extension or tear up this year and move on?

Thats likr 6 year 300million if an extension. Aav is fine. 

Presumably 5 years, $280M in new money on top of what he's getting paid this year.  It'll likely drop his base salary to the minimum, and spread the signing bonus over this year plus the additional 4 seasons they're allowed to.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, CWood21 said:

Presumably 5 years, $280M in new money on top of what he's getting paid this year.  It'll likely drop his base salary to the minimum, and spread the signing bonus over this year plus the additional 4 seasons they're allowed to.

that's evan mobley money 

I like the Newman revision.  Modest enough that if he's the better player, you can keep him.  And if as we hope somebody else emerges as better and more promising, the better man can win. 

Personally, I don't think Newman is that bad.  I don't expect that much from deep subs.  Is he good?  No.  But you can run your offense with him at guard, and most of the time you don't notice.  Whiffs and gets beaten badly sometimes, more often than you'd like which is why he's nobody's starter.  But that may happen with other backups too... or with Rhyan.  I surely hope Rhyan really steps up with opportunity and increasing experience.  But I'm not actually even sure that the gap between Rhyan and Newman is necessarily all that large.  Sure hope that Rhyan continues to progress and to refine his game, and ends up being perfectly solid.  

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, craig said:

I like the Newman revision.  Modest enough that if he's the better player, you can keep him.  And if as we hope somebody else emerges as better and more promising, the better man can win. 

Personally, I don't think Newman is that bad.  I don't expect that much from deep subs.  Is he good?  No.  But you can run your offense with him at guard, and most of the time you don't notice.  Whiffs and gets beaten badly sometimes, more often than you'd like which is why he's nobody's starter.  But that may happen with other backups too... or with Rhyan.  I surely hope Rhyan really steps up with opportunity and increasing experience.  But I'm not actually even sure that the gap between Rhyan and Newman is necessarily all that large.  Sure hope that Rhyan continues to progress and to refine his game, and ends up being perfectly solid.  

Sean Rhyan isn't a pro-bowler by any means. He's light years better than Newman. Newman was barely a speed bump when he had to play his last two years. 

He's absolutely horrible IMO. 

17 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

Sean Rhyan isn't a pro-bowler by any means. He's light years better than Newman. Newman was barely a speed bump when he had to play his last two years. 

He's absolutely horrible IMO. 

This is an annual thing for you. Pick one player and bash on him none stop all the way through training camp. One year it was Jake Hanson, another year it was Tyler Davis. We all get it that Newman is the guy this year, it has been clear since February, but thanks for the daily reminders. By the way, what happened to all of your Tyler Davis hate? 

1 hour ago, FinneasGage said:

ultimate revenge story for eason. 2-4 day camp arm contract goes to him years after fromm ends his georgia tenure. what a story. this is the climax of the eason movie. 

Just a GM flexing his dominance on the Badgers homers. No one puts Gutey in a corner. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, R T said:

This is an annual thing for you. Pick one player and bash on him none stop all the way through training camp. One year it was Jake Hanson, another year it was Tyler Davis. We all get it that Newman is the guy this year, it has been clear since February, but thanks for the daily reminders. By the way, what happened to all of your Tyler Davis hate? 

How did Jake Hanson work out? BTW, this is year three for me with Newman, keep up! 

What exactly has Tyler Davis done to entrust any confidence? He's now coming back from an ACL. Might make the team depending on how long Kraft is out. I also would not be surprised if the Packers were looking for other options. 

The other thing about me, I have no issues saying when I'm wrong. So far, the three players you mentioned, I was way ahead of the curve. None of them have been worth a ****. 

1 hour ago, Old Guy said:

How did Jake Hanson work out? BTW, this is year three for me with Newman, keep up! 

What exactly has Tyler Davis done to entrust any confidence? He's now coming back from an ACL. Might make the team depending on how long Kraft is out. I also would not be surprised if the Packers were looking for other options. 

The other thing about me, I have no issues saying when I'm wrong. So far, the three players you mentioned, I was way ahead of the curve. None of them have been worth a ****. 

Lol, anyone could pick one of about 60 players on the roster on any given year and make the same claims and be correct. A large percentage of the population here understands that they just don't carry on about it every day like some sort of village idiot.  

11 minutes ago, R T said:

Lol, anyone could pick one of about 60 players on the roster on any given year and make the same claims and be correct. A large percentage of the population here understands that they just don't carry on about it every day like some sort of village idiot.  

I don't want to steal your job! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Old Guy said:

I don't want to steal your job! 

Oh, good one fraudulent old guy. You sure got me there. 

Now take you scooter and get the **** of my lawn. 

So, what did I miss? 

I see we are still listening to a poster complain about Newman.

Still unsure about Love's new contract, and either way, some people are going to over react to the money in that deal.

Clark is done, and done well.

Camp is starting, optimism is high.

Looks like Dillard is living up to his reputation.  

As is Bullard.

Let the games begin!

The flip flopping going on in some of these posts is legendary. I was led to believe for years that QBs who miss OTAs/Training Camp because they wanted a new contract were selfish divas. Also what happened to that hometown discount people were claiming he was gonna take? It's almost like people on this forum hated the last guy for reasons outside of football....

• Like 1