Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

The only ppl mad about Love not practicing are those who are still in their feelings about you know who lol.  Literally everyone else is okay with it including the organization and the media lol.  The latter of which is unusually in universal agreement about it applauding the move as being smart by Love.

• Like 2

On 7/23/2024 at 9:14 AM, FinneasGage said:

ultimate revenge story for eason. 2-4 day camp arm contract goes to him years after fromm ends his georgia tenure. what a story. this is the climax of the eason movie. 

Saw Eason play in high school.  Kid has a absolute gun, but accuracy has always been his issue.  Didn't know when to take something off his throws. Everything was a rocket no matter how close the receiver was.   Wish Clements could have gotten a hold of him earlier in his career, but he's running out of chances.  He's probably not worth keeping around to develop at this point, he's had a few stops already in his young career.

Edited by NFLGURU

On 7/23/2024 at 11:40 PM, Mazrimiv said:

My understanding is that it depends on when the contract voids.  If the contract voids prior to the window for applying tags, the player can be tagged.  If the void date is after the tag window, the player cannot be tagged.

So the question is, on what date does Love's current contract void?

Love's contract (Per Spotrac): 2025-2027 years automatically void 23 days before the start of the 2025 league year.

That places the void date prior to the 2025 tag deadline, which should mean Love is eligible to be tagged.

Yes it voids before the Tag window however as soon as his contract voids he becomes a free agent. He doesn't need to wait until free agency to negotiate with other sides.

He would have a new deal with a different club well before the tag window opens

3 hours ago, OzPackfan said:

Yes it voids before the Tag window however as soon as his contract voids he becomes a free agent. He doesn't need to wait until free agency to negotiate with other sides.

Why would he not have to wait for the FA window to open?  Would he not have to wait like every other UFA to negotiate/sign a new deal?

4 hours ago, OzPackfan said:

Not according to the two articles attached below. The Packers absolutely could tag Jordan Love next off season. 

1 hour ago, Mazrimiv said:

Why would he not have to wait for the FA window to open?  Would he not have to wait like every other UFA to negotiate/sign a new deal?

A Way-Too-Early Look at the Packers' 2025 Free Agents (dairylandexpress.com)

And on the off chance a deal doesn't get done, a franchise tag is nearly inevitable. 

Projecting Jordan Love's Next Contract With the Green Bay Packers (profootballnetwork.com)

On one hand, the Packers seemingly hold tremendous leverage over their starting QB. Love will make a pittance in 2024, while Green Bay could control his contractual rights with franchise tags in 2025 and 2026. The Packers could theoretically hang onto Love for three more seasons without extending him.

Edited by Old Guy

13 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

Here's an article from 2022 that gets into the void years / tag subject.

How many Saints players will be franchise tag-ineligible due to void years?

The 2020 fallout had lots of teams scrambling and adding void years. I can’t say for sure, but the Saints seemed like the worst offenders of kicking the can down the road. They’ve definitely learned the hard way about cap restrictions. The Packers also added lots of void years but mostly players that either were not massive hits or that they were likely to re-sign. It seems like we’re getting away from that in the recent contract to KC for example. 

3 minutes ago, Refugee said:

The 2020 fallout had lots of teams scrambling and adding void years. I can’t say for sure, but the Saints seemed like the worst offenders of kicking the can down the road. They’ve definitely learned the hard way about cap restrictions. The Packers also added lots of void years but mostly players that either were not massive hits or that they were likely to re-sign. It seems like we’re getting away from that in the recent contract to KC for example. 

I hate when they add void years. Eventually the bill comes due. It certainly causes some tough business decisions, but those tough decisions mount and eventually come due if you keep kicking them down the road. 

5 hours ago, Mazrimiv said:

street UFA do not have to wait until their contract runs out.

See Derek Carr signing with NO like 10 days before the start of the league year

no.pngDerek Carr (QB)Mar 06, 2023 - Signed a 4 year $150 million contract with New Orleans (NO)

17 minutes ago, squire12 said:

street UFA do not have to wait until their contract runs out.

See Derek Carr signing with NO like 10 days before the start of the league year

I don't think void years are the equivalent of being released like Carr was, but I could certainly be wrong.  In any case, it seems like there is a disconnect here.  Love would have a crazy amount of leverage if GB was unable to tag him next off-season, but I haven't heard anyone in the media reporting on that being the case.

12 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I don't think void years are the equivalent of being released like Carr was, but I could certainly be wrong.  In any case, it seems like there is a disconnect here.  Love would have a crazy amount of leverage if GB was unable to tag him next off-season, but I haven't heard anyone in the media reporting on that being the case.

It depends on when the contract voids.  

If it voids before the franchise tag window occurs, then the player could be franchise tagged.  It it voids after the franchise tag window closes, then the player can't be franchise tagged

1 minute ago, squire12 said:

It depends on when the contract voids.  

If it voids before the franchise tag window occurs, then the player could be franchise tagged.  It it voids after the franchise tag window closes, then the player can't be franchise tagged

In that case, you could have just quoted this clown.

On 7/23/2024 at 9:40 AM, Mazrimiv said:

My understanding is that it depends on when the contract voids.  If the contract voids prior to the window for applying tags, the player can be tagged.  If the void date is after the tag window, the player cannot be tagged.

• Like 1