Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

Hopefully the blurb on Cooper is legit

Here are some other noteworthy items from LaFleur’s Wednesday pre-practice news conference:

After sitting out almost two weeks with a hamstring injury, cornerback Carrington Valentine has been cleared to return to practice on a limited basis, LaFleur said.

It’s possible that inside linebacker Edgerrin Cooper (hip) could return as well.

Linebacker Quay Walker and offensive lineman Jacob Monk will both return to practice after experiencing some heat difficulties Tuesday.

Always interesting to hear thoughts on the Packers from a (presumably) neutral third party.

FTN’s Aaron Schatz discusses projections for the 2024 Packers and changes to DVOA

I found the blurbs on Lazard to be especially interesting.  There has been plenty of debate in here regarding how good of a WR Lazard actually was when his DVOA spiked in GB.  One tweak to the DVOA methodology, and suddenly Lazard's DVOA looks much different. 

I guess DVOA wasn't accounting for that (until now)

Edited by Mazrimiv
  • Like 3

With Lazard, we should be separating the player and the pay check.  He is a chain mover, and an excellent blocker both downfield and for runs.  Any team would take him, and he would see snaps.  However, his current contract has him as the 17th highest paid WR in the league.  That is just too much.  

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, ThatJerkDave said:

With Lazard, we should be separating the player and the pay check.  He is a chain mover, and an excellent blocker both downfield and for runs.  Any team would take him, and he would see snaps.  However, his current contract has him as the 17th highest paid WR in the league.  That is just too much.  

Exactly what Gute did, which is why he's the man. Let somebody else overpay him. I have nothing against Lazard, glad he got paid. Glad it was somebody else who ponied up. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Old Guy said:

Exactly what Gute did, which is why he's the man. Let somebody else overpay him. I have nothing against Lazard, glad he got paid. Glad it was somebody else who ponied up. 

I would have been fine paying him around 4 million per season.  The going rate was a lot higher than that.  

• Like 1