Random Packer News & Notes

Leader

30 minutes ago, Mazrimiv said:

I'm not so sure I could.  It wasn't a real competition in TEN, and not every team has knuckleheads reporting on every kick made in camp like the Packers did.

You’d have to talk to fans, who would be the knuckleheads. It definitely wouldn’t be as closely watched as the GB competition. Still, they liked him in college coming out and definitely are going to give the game tape more weight than the knucklehead report. QB2 seemed excited for him so hope that continues. 

Ryan Wood -   What’s in a number? I went around #Packers locker room during training camp, asking players how they got their jersey number. Quickly, I realized there was another question I should be asking instead.

What number would they rather wear?

Their answers:

https://www.packersnews.com/story/sports/nfl/packers/2024/09/03/we-asked-32-green-bay-packers-how-they-got-their-jersey-numbers/74999801007/

Oh look at that. Another 215lbs+ RB.

Gute is so predictable. 🤣

For Friday's game there's a possibility our backup RBs will all be practice squad guys as Wilson has apparently picked up a hip issue and Lloyd is recovering from his hamstring injury.

Right now on the practice squad we have Merriweather, Perine and now Brooks.

3 hours ago, Chili said:

Oh look at that. Another 215lbs+ RB.

Gute is so predictable. 🤣

For Friday's game there's a possibility our backup RBs will all be practice squad guys as Wilson has apparently picked up a hip issue and Lloyd is recovering from his hamstring injury.

Right now on the practice squad we have Merriweather, Perine and now Brooks.

Maybe we will get a good number of of 3 wr 2 te, 4 wr 1 te, or 5 wr sets.

That would be fun. 

Heh heh, running a lot for small gains is also an easy way to protect the running backs!  If you run-run-pass-punt, nobody gets too many carries and it's a great way to protect your backs!  

Heh heh, it's a new season.  With new backs; with a new OL starter, (two compared to opening day if you include Walker); with both Walker and Rhyan have added experience; and between last season and camp, with the 5 starters now having a growing composite of time working together.   So as HighC has mentioned, the whole running-game operation might be much improved over last year, who knows.  

Just for the memories, I skimmed back through stats going back to 2017.  During those 7 years, only once were total running yards above league average (the weird Covid 2020, Packers finished 8th in total yards), and that was the only MLF year where the ypc was top-3rd in league (6th in Covid season.). MM's last couple of seasons, Rodgers was throwing all the time, so the ypc was excellent, but the total running yards were low.  (In 2018, 2nd in ypc, but 22nd in total running yards!  2017 similiar, 6th in ypc but 17th in total yards running.). 

Those are all past history, and nothing stays the same.  Hopefully this will be a season in which the run game and run-efficiency moves up into the top 10, maybe the top 5, ideally the top 1.  (Sometimes being REALLY good at something happens for super-bowl teams.). 

But given that other than Covid we haven't really had an especially good run-game in ages, it's hard to imagine what a Packer team might be like if we actually did.  Why not this year?  

19 minutes ago, craig said:

Heh heh, running a lot for small gains is also an easy way to protect the running backs!  If you run-run-pass-punt, nobody gets too many carries and it's a great way to protect your backs!  

We were top 1/3rd of the league in 20+ yard runs on middle 1/3rd rush attempts. And had 4.3 ypc, good for top 1/3rd again.

I dont understand where this notion the Packers are bad at running the ball is coming from.

https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/offense/rushing/2023/reg/all

Edited by HighCalebR
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, HighCalebR said:

We were top 1/3rd of the league in 20+ yard runs on middle 1/3rd rush attempts. And had 4.3 ypc, good for top 1/3rd again.

I dont understand where this notion the Packers are bad at running the ball is coming from.

https://www.nfl.com/stats/team-stats/offense/rushing/2023/reg/all

Shed a tear for Aaron Jones. I’d bet he was responsible for a bunch of those. Send a cheer for Josh Jacobs. He might just be something special in this offense.